Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2018

Holiday Cottage Rental for Reception

SunnyGreenConfetti967, 15 of October of 2017 at 12:24 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi,

recently engaged and hoping to be tying the knot around this time next year. This is my first time posting on here but have been spending some time reading other threads!

We would like to get married in Kent ideally somewhere mid to north as we are based Dartford and have family and friends from Bexley and Medway.

I noticed on a really old thread someone mentioned renting out a holiday cottage for the reception then doing it like a big old party yourself. I just wondered if anyone had done this and how it worked for them or any recommendations for rentals in Kent or Sussex that maybe did this?

Really keen on this idea due to the flexibility it would give for setting up, food and music as were not really sit down 3 course set menu meal kinda people!

Any advice much appreciated ?

7 replies

Latest activity by Yana, 16 of February of 2023 at 17:28
  • L
    Beginner October 2018
    LuxuriousBrownStationery991 ·
    • Hide content

Following this as I'm planning the same thing!

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

I have mentioned this before, if you're going for just a select few you can probably go on cottages.com and rent a house for a few days, but you will probably need to ask the owner if they're okay with you having a party there. These cottages will be relatively small though.

Also after a quick Google search, there is such a thing as "party house hire" -i can't recommend any as I haven't done it before, but at least you have the relevant search term now to do some research. Because wording can really make a difference!

Another way to achieve something similar would be to "take over" a B&B or small guest house, ask them about exclusive use and functions etc. They shouldn't mind if you basically make them fully booked.

If the venue you choose isn't licensed, you will need to be legally married elsewhere beforehand, but you can always have a celebrant on the day if you want to have the feel of a wedding.

Hopefully this helps you both, and bonus of the above suggestions is that there's at least some accomodation included!

• S
    Beginner October 2018
    SunnyGreenConfetti967 ·
    • Hide content

HappyBrownConfetti849 - thank you for responding these are great suggestion! Think I was typing the complete wrong thing in to search engine as didn’t seem to be as much available as I thought there would be. I hadn’t considered the B&B take over idea either but thinking about it, if we’re all paying guests and they’re up for that could work really well. Also going to check out some village halls as they would be dry hire venues that would tick that box.

• S
    Beginner October 2018
    SunnyGreenConfetti967 ·
    • Hide content

If you’re looking for something in the same area geographically I did stumble upon this since I wrote the original post: www.hoathhouse.com looks amazing but undecided if it’s quite right to what I had in mind but may be just right for you ?

• K
    Beginner
    kte2019 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I am also hoping to do this and so far have found a couple that are licensed for the ceremony too but don't think they are in the right locations for you:

Butley Priory and The Copse Wedding weekends

Would love to hear of any others that people have found

• G
    Beginner May 2019
    GinAndBling ·
    • Hide content

Following- this sounds ideal!

• L
    Beginner May 2018
    LuxuriousYellowCakes823 ·
    • Hide content

I live in coastal Devon and renting a cottage for the reception was my first plan. There a lots of holiday cottages down here and every one I enquired about would not allow for a reception/party and it was specifically written into the contracts. It may be different in other areas but just to warn you to check x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics