Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner April 2012

Homemade bunting

abi137, 4 January, 2012 at 15:15 Posted on Planning 0 8

has anyone made their own bunting i could do with some tips on where to start and what i will need etc?

our venue isnt exactly my ideal venue so i want to make it as nice as possible on a smallish budget

8 replies

Latest activity by sgreen, 5 January, 2012 at 11:56
  • bexybexy
    Beginner June 2018
    bexybexy ·
    • Hide content

My MIL has made all my bunting as i am in a similar situation to you...I went in charity shops and found some bits of material and also in my local fabric shop. You dont need alot of material 4 sqmeters made me 30 metres of bunting...obviously it depends on how big it is!

I made a triangular template out of card and cut out all the triangles - there was a template that i printed off google...I cut it put with pinking shears to stop the material fraying

I then bought some binding tape from the fabric shop and stitched the triangles on....it looks fab!

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to be making my own too, and plan on doing it in exactly the same way as bexy explains! I'm also planning on raiding charity shops / jumble sales for more unusual fabrics, different thicknesses / textures / shades.

Bexy, how long did it take to make your 30m of bunting? Initial estimates of how much we need are 100-140m ? I really ought to crack on!!

• A
    Beginner April 2012
    abi137 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your advise

my mum suggested buying bed sheets as its the same material but cheaper as i want blues and whites.

im also needing to make 100m+ as i want to string it across the ceiling of the venue.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

Another way to do it is to use a holepunch to make holes in the two top corners. Then use ribbon, cut up into small lengths, and knot the triangles together by the holes. I haven't tried it myself so can't vouch for it.

• Recycledbride
    Beginner June 2012
    Recycledbride ·
    • Hide content

I'm making mine, I've cut up old fabrics, tea dyed cheap calico from ikea etc I'm using cheap bias binding to string it together. I've cut my triangles free hand so they are a tad more rustic than some people would like! I will use a template for the nautical bunting I'm making for the post wedding barbecue.

• bexybexy
    Beginner June 2018
    bexybexy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

50s....i cant say exactly as My MIL done alot of it while i was working.....it took longer to cut out the templates than anything else. Ive got lots of other things i need to crack on with!!!

• A
    Beginner April 2012
    abi137 ·
    • Hide content

Just a thought how are you all fixing them around your venues?

• Recycledbride
    Beginner June 2012
    Recycledbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've checked with my venues and one said it would be better if I can just tie them around the beams (I'm making them with long ties and in shorter lengths rather than one long bunting so I can drape and loop them around the wooden beams. They said they wouldn't mind the "odd" staple.....Another said I can fix it up how ever I like as there are already little hooks across the ceiling so it will be easy at this venue to just loop on around the ceiling hooks.

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

I made bunting once for a school fete. The school gave me a big box of scrap material. I cut the triangles with a craft knife using a metal triangle template that my hubby to be quickly knocked up for me. It was really quick just to put the triangle on the cloth and then just run round it with a knife.

to attach them to the string I simply used a hole punch and then tied them on using thin strips of scrap cloth.

I thought they looked lovely and everyone seemed happy and it saved a fortune

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics