Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2013

Honeymoon and an 18 month old...Discussion

morristobe, 3 January, 2013 at 09:15 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi all

I am getting married in September and am looking into honeymoon ideas. We are on a tight budget of around £600 (not including spending money) and are loking for 3-6 nights away somewhere straight after the wedding. Our ideas were either a few nights in Paris, sight seeig etc or even possibly renting a cottage or something in the UK. Only snag is, we have a little boy who will be 18 months old. We have the option of paying a few extra days for him to go to nursery and my parents will have him overnight but I keep changing my mind on whether I want him to come with us or not. I know it must sound really bad and I love him to bits, but should our honeymoon be a time to get away and chill just the two of us? I know I will miss him like crazy as I have only ever spent 1 night at a time away from him.

What have you all done in similar situations? Also, anysuggestions on where we could go? We live in Worcestershire.

Thanks ladies

10 replies

Latest activity by oneforfxckall, 4 January, 2013 at 09:47
  • M
    Beginner September 2013
    morristobe ·
    • Hide content

Bump

• Kylieb191
    Beginner June 2024 Lincolnshire
    Kylieb191 ·
    • Hide content

I'll be in the same situation next year but he will be three going on four by then it's hard to know what to do but if your parents are willing to look after him over night I think that would be greatas you know he's safe and it probably is a rarity for you both to have time to yourselves along with you might not have another holiday with just the two of you Smiley smile

• Purple*Sparkles
    Beginner June 2013
    Purple*Sparkles ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I'm getting married in June. We have two children, 9 and 3. The 9 yr old is not my OH's. We have been together since my eldest was 10mths old. We have never had anytime when we have just been the two of us, other than the odd weekend when he was based abroad. We therefore made the decision to have our honeymoon just the two of us. Our family have supported us in this decision their only request was we go in term time so the 9 yr old is at school all day.

I know I will miss them like crazy but it is our honeymoon and we would like to have some us time.

We have decided to go to a sandals resort which you may know they are adults only because if I went to a family resort I would see the families together and wish the boys were with us. I know I will still see families but not constantly.

I think you need to be totally happy with your decision either way because otherwise it could not be as enjoyable a time as you want it to be because you are pining for the opposite of what you have.

x

• S
    Beginner September 2013
    Snc12 ·
    • Hide content

We are in the same situ as our little boy is one the day before the wedding. We are taking him with us, tho my parents would love to have him and we are off to Devon for a week (we live near Huddersfield so it is far enough away to feel we are nowhere near home)

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Shirelley ·
    • Hide content

I will have two by the time my honeymoon rolls around, one 3.5 and the other nearly 1.5.
    We are going to Florida for our honeymoon, and would really like the time to ourselves, plus I couldn't expose them to the flight/heat etc so they are staying Smiley smile
    The only thing is, we are going for two weeks. We've worked it that my parents will have them for 3/4 days nights. Then take them back to our house, where my OH's Mum will stay with him for a week, to keep him in his routine. Then my parents will have them back for the last couple of days. Fingers crossed they wont hate us when they get back Smiley sad lol xx

• M
    Marysmsmt ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I think Paris is a lovely idea if you do take your baby, very kid friendly and the Eurostar is good with a bubba. My son will be 3.5 when we get married and we just made the decision to leave him at home, we're going abroad for a week somewhere cheap and cheerful and it just won't be a honeymoon at all if we take him. I feel sooooo selfish, but my dad has agreed to take a week off work and have him at ours, and I will Skype him every night. Xx

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

We got married in August and have two children (1 and 3). We haven't yet had a honeymoon which we are sad about but we really want to go away, just the two of us, for a proper romantic honeymoon. We are hoping to do something later this year.

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    morristobe ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies ladies. Either way we are struggling to do anything extravagent as we are loking to buy a house towards the end of next year and so as well as the wedding were having to save for our deposit so can't really justify a massive all expense spared honeymoon. I think our plan is to have a lavish 5 or even 10 year anniversary (i'm sure it'll fly round) and go to the Carribean or somewhere nice like that.

Does anyone have any cheap-ish destination ideas? UK or abroad? We are more than likley looking to leave our son with my parents I think, unless I find a really good family deal somewhere.

• oneforfxckall
    Beginner November 2014
    oneforfxckall ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

We'll most likely be in the same situation after our wedding, we have an almost 3yo & my mum will most likely be looking after her for a few days so myself & OH can have a mini-moon in the UK somewhere & lets face it, houses, life & children are expensive, add a wedding onto that and you have to be v.lucky to afford (or be gifted) a nice honeymoon abroad!

What ind of break are you looking for? Something secluded & relaxing or somewhere with lots to do? Do you like busy coastlines/towns or quiet places?

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    morristobe ·
    • Hide content

To be honest I would be open to any suggestion. When holidaying in the UK we tend to go to Croyde, Devon as it's a lovely little village with a few shops, pubs etc but also right on the beach and lots of countryside for lovely walks. I want something relaxig as relaxing as holidaying with an 18 month old can be).

On a different note I have just been on the Thomas Cook website and could go to Majorca for a week after the wedding all inclusive (only 3 star but hey ho) for just under £900 for the three of us.

• oneforfxckall
    Beginner November 2014
    oneforfxckall ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it really depends on what you want, will you definitely be taking the little one with you? If so, I'd probably opt for a UK holiday somewhere "Down South" maybe Newquay? And then plan an anniversary holiday abroad. But then, I'm a weirdo that doesn't like going abroad!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics