Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner April 2011

Honeymoon Disaster - Koh Samui!

Pollyjean35, 31 March, 2011 at 11:44 Posted on Planning 0 28

We are getting married next Saturday and are due to fly out to Koh Samui however as you may have heard the Island has been affected by severe flooding and heavy rain. Having had a look at some pics the place is a disaster and the travel forums are saying more rain is expected and it will take weeks to clean up the island.

I spoke to Trailfinder who we booked through and they have said we will not find out until next week as to whether we can cancel or change our destination! Where to we stand on this, we really do not want to go. We are concerned about the sanitation, our hotel is running limited services and whilst they are saying it could be ok by next week i just dont want to take the risk.

Can anyone help?

28 replies

Latest activity by themis, 1 April, 2011 at 15:21
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I do not have anythi helpful to add im afraid L(

i was thinking fo Mrs C this morning as know shes doing a tour of thailand on her honeymoon that shes currently on, hoping her and hubby are ok :/

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I hadnt heard about this at all, Im sorry i can't help but if some of the other islands are not affected could you keep your flights and stay on a different island? Internal flights are really cheap! Ko Phi Phi, Koh lanta and the Similian islands are off the other coast of thailand so might nor be affected and they are lovely!

• SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe she missed it and is now on the Maldives part of it? Crossing fingers that everyone over there is okay too

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Are you honeymooning or marrying over there?

Do you have any insurance - either wedding or travel? If so, i'd call ASAP and ask where you stand.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i hope so!!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Its dreadful i was reading about it. Im not too sure where you stand with regard to not going etc., its best to check with your travel agent nearer the time. Sorry its a such a pain for you, hope its all cleared up next week.

• N
    Beginner April 2011
    nat2683 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS date twin

Look in your insurance policy see if there is a "force majeure" section, this normally covers if things happen beyond people's control/ act of God. Im not sure if the flooding will be enough for them to consider a natural disaster, but worth a try. Then ring them your insurance companies, give them a bit of grovel and tears and see if something cannot be done. Fingers crossed for you.

Also depending on the type of package you have booked you may be able move flights, or fly to thailand, then get a short cheap flight on air asia to another nearby country. If your hotel is offering "limited services" then maybe see if they are part of a chain of hotels, if they are they may be able to transfer your booking to another hotel in a nearby country.

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content

I have just called Trailfinders and they said that normally they wouldnt change our holiday because we dont actually arrive in Koh Samui until almost 2 weeks away and they need to review the situation nearer the time.

I have explained its our honeymoon and we are getting married next week and really dont have the luxury of waiting until a day before the wedding to try and arrange another honeymoon. The chap is going to speak to his manager and see if they can do anything for us, I cant believe it. We have had such a run of bad luck this week!

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Aw fingers corssed your luck will change and your chap will be able to sort you something out

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Fingers crossed it works out for you - this has prompted me to book our honeymoon travel insurance (which I have been putting off!)

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately Trailfinders are not willing to change our holiday as the airports are opened and the hotels are stating that they will be back to normal by 5th April. I will check our travel insurance tonight but its looking likely that we will just have to go. Im gutted this is the part of the wedding that I have been most excited about! :-(

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know my boss booked her hols with trailfinders a few yrs ago and was in thailand on their way to bangkok when all the riots started.....trailfinders managed to get them into a hotel in malaysia (which was next destination after bangkok) earlier than planned and sorted it out for them with minimal fuss so fingers crossed they can get you to another destination xx

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

Just out of interest which Trailfinders branch are you using.

I use Trailfinders for work puposes, and am on the phone to them most days. Infact I'm about to call them now. I usually speak to the managers at a London Branch.

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi there its the Kensington branch i think. They have told us to check again next week but having read the reports on trip advisor and the weather reports it is not looking good for the next 2 weeks. I have been in tears all morning!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Is it monsoon season there at the min?

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No , this is one of the best times to go, we were there this time last year and it was lovely, although we did get some rain but it was those tropical showers where the heavens open for an hour and you wnder ho they can possible rain any more and then it jut stops and within an hour it is completely dry again!

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No believe it or not its dry season!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Blimey, not expected then ?

Fingers crossed it drys up and its a.ok when you go.

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

I would keep an eye on

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/thailand

And keep in touch with the travel agancy.

if they say or adviser against travel then i believe the travel company has to act. (insurance, atol, or which ever is claimed against) This is because in the terms and conditions in the travel insurance it will say that if the foreign office advises against travel then the insurance becomes invalid. ( I would check your travel insurance as i can not speak for all policies)

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's the one I use... I'll mention this when I call in a mo!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

You should be able to change but it will cost you. I don't believe you not wanting to travel will be covered by insurance. There are no "do not travel" notifications form the foreign office and the airports and hotels are open. If you wish to change then your agent should be able to find something else for you but if there is a cost difference then you would have to pay.

We were in a similar position last year. Mr GB booked our honeymoon as a surprise and was dealing with a lot of problems prior to us travelling which he had to deal with alone and couldn't speak to anyone as no one knew anything. We were due to travek to Bangkok but he changed it within the last week to Hong Kong (I can't remember if there was a FO warning or not, I believe there was) but he had to pay extra money. Then once that was sorted and he thought he was safe, BA started on their strikes and were on strike on the day we flew. Luckily, out of the 3 HK flights a day from LHR, the one we were booked on was the ONLY one to fly that day!!

As for Mrs C, she went to Sri Lanka!

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

Have just spoken to a Supervisor at Kessington, he said that at present it is a wait and see. Best bet is to call back on Monday

He said that the airport has re-opened this morning, as everything there is sorted. There are only 3 hotels closed due to minor flood damaged, but these will be re-opened on Tuesday next week at the very latest.

I honestly wouldn't worry to much about this. Give them a call on Monday, ask to speak to a supervisor and see what's going on then. But to be honest, it doesn't sound that bad, I'm sure everything will be fine by the time you go! xxx

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

Changing the flight's all depends on the fare basis you have booked. The higher economy fare the more chance of being able to change for a charge, but the cheaper the ticket the less likely you can change.

Most long haul flight's these days are fixed dated on the outbound. It really depends on the airline. If they are unhappy about having people travel to that destination they will relax the fare rules, but if there isn't an issue then they won't. Its a git I know!

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Huge thanks for enquiring about this! I think we will just have to keep an eye on things and like you say call back next week! It is looking like the hotels will be ok however some services are limited. I guess we are just worried about this freakish weather continuing and having to spend our honeymoon stuck indoors in the rain! :-(

• Lauren25
    Beginner July 2011
    Lauren25 ·
    • Hide content

Is being stuck indoors on your honeymoon that bad? ? IYKWIM

I think it will sort its self out for the time that you go, everywhere seems to be having so strange weather lately but you will be fine im sure, we'll all keep fingers crossed!x

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Always an upside!!! ? x

• Nikki_D
    Beginner June 2012
    Nikki_D ·
    • Hide content

Each year my company run a competition for a holiday, and my friend who is getting married shortly, won. They were due to fly to Bangkok today then onto Koh Samui tomorrow. But due to the severe weather, the company have had to abandon the origional plans, and they have rescheduled for everyone to stay in mainland thailand now!

Last years holiday was to Morocco, and it was around the time of the ash clouds that happened. They flew out the only time slot they had from Gatwick, which happened to be the same day I flew out on my holiday too, and later that day they shut the airport.

Too many disasters happen when the holidays are up for grabs! As much as I would love to win, don't think I would due to the jinx's lol.

• T
    Beginner
    themis ·
    • Hide content

You may be fine. I have been monitoring the situation as we were about to book for June. From what people are saying they clean up after these sorts of things very quickly. Much more quickly than we would in the UK.They had similar floods in November and everything was back to normal very quickly.

• You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics