Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cford09
Beginner March 2013

Honeymoon gift list wording - HELP!!!

cford09, 18 March, 2012 at 14:41 Posted on Planning 0 13

We have decided to go for a honeymoon gift list for our wedding as we already live together and thought this would be a nice idea rather than the slightly embarrassing option of asking people for cold hard cash.

However we've ended up having the same problem, we need to write something on our invites to let people know about the gift list and how to contribute and we have no idea what to write! We are already a bit wary of sounding cheeky, as after we told my mum what we had done, she was horrified saying that this is like begging for money.

Could anyone give me an idea of what to write, maybe you've done this for your wedding? I know our friends and younger family won't mind whatever we put, but it's the older generation we are worried about!

Many thanks!

13 replies

Latest activity by cford09, 19 March, 2012 at 11:01
  • *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

It's an English thing! We have asked for money but did feel slightly bad for doing so.

It's also hard to know how much to give. Two of our guests are millionaires, one is a partner at a very well know accounting firm (begins with P, three letters). His son (our good friend) recently got married and even they asked for money! So it is not begging for money, just asking for what you have most need for.

• E
    Beginner August 2012
    emmar841 ·
    • Hide content

I dont think it's begging for money, these days most couples already live together anyway, and you may as well ask for something you actually need, instead of getting things you already have!! Try using a cute poem like this

We haven't got a wedding list,
    the reason we'll explain,
    is to save you all the hassle as shopping is a pain,
    We've been together for a while,
    And have most things we need,
    So vouchers, cash or cheques would be gratefully received,
    The choice is yours, so please don’t fuss
    the most important thing of all
    Is that you come and celebrate with us!
    But, if you'd like to contribute,
    to our soft & cosy rooms,
    Our heartfelt thanks go out to you
    -with love the bride & groom

Hope this helps xx

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

If your going to ask for money then please step away from the poems ?

Just a simple line on the invite will suffice. I'm sure Mrs C had something like this on her invites, simple and straight to the point.

• A
    Beginner March 2012
    amyc1984 ·
    • Hide content

We have got a honeymoon gift fund with Thomas Cook - in the info card we had the heading 'Gift List' then said we have a honeymoon gift list with Thomas Cook, details are enclosed but please do not feel obliged. Then we had little cards printed out with the website log in details. On there our poem reads:

We know it's not traditional
    It's not the way it's done
    But instead of a wedding list
    We'd like a bit of sun.

Please do not think of us as rude
    Please do not take offence
    We do not want to upset you
    That's not the way it's meant.

We've lived together quite a while
    And all the bills are paid
    We've got our plates, our pots and pans
    Our plans have all been made.

So if you'd like to give a gift
    To help us celebrate
    Some money for our honeymoon
    We would appreciate!

Hope that helps ?

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Can you do a bit of research and see if there are any "honeymoon experiences" that people can buy for you? Such as a couples massage, a jeep safari, waterskiing etc, etc, etc? Yes, you'll have to contact the resort and see how much that would cost, but it would be nicer for your guests to know they've paid for sthg specific. I hate giving money unless I know what it will be used for. Even if you work out that each day's car hire will be, for example, £40 and ask for 7 lots of that for a week holiday? If you're creative I'm sure you can come up with sthg.

• N
    Beginner April 2012
    Natjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We had this poem and have asked for thomas cook vouchers also

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. Poems are cheesy, sorry.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

We have just put under gifts in the invite " we don't want anything other than your presence at our wedding, however if you insist on giving us something then a contribution towards our honeymoon would be appreciated"

We got little cards from trailfinders so also included this in the invites.

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content

We're going on our honeymoon for our 1st anniversary (due to budgets) and we're planning an american road trip... we're not sure what to put into invites just yet, but we have included a page on our wedding website which says pretty much that because we'll have been living together for over 2 years by the time we marry we haven't set up a traditional guest list - it then goes into what our plans for the honeymoon are and says if people do want to get us a gift then we'd love them to help us have fun on our trip and come up with a few ideas like paying for milage in our Mustang or paying for cocktails at the Bellagio in Vegas etc, then when we get back we'll send a link to our photos to everyone who contributed

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I'd be taking my money and running at the moment. They are gizillions of pounds in debt are they not? It would be HORRENDOUS if they went into liquidation. Just saying.

I think there's something of a generational thing here too. We just got an invitation with a poem and a request for honeymoon monies and while I'm not bothered I know that the older generation of her family were mortified and so offended. It's a delicate issue but you'll never please everyone so may as well please yourselves!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

We had something to the effect of " while your presence at our wedding is gift enough for us, for those wishing to give a present, a donation towards our new kitchen in the form of vouchers would be greatly appreciated"

You could do something similar but with honeymoon instead, and don't worry, people wont think its cheeky. The people who have seen their invites have said what a good idea it is as they had no idea what to get for us and now know it is going to something we really want.

• A
    Beginner March 2012
    amyc1984 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thomas Cook are fine now and I'm not at all worried. They just need people to carry on booking with them as they are perfectly safe!

The donations towards our honeymoon was definitely the best option for us so it's all down to preference how you do it really.

• cford09
    Beginner March 2013
    cford09 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, we have steered away from the poems!!! We've pinched some bits from various places but mostly just written our own message that people who know us will find (hopefully) funny and sweet! I guess there's no getting away from the fact that we are asking people for money for a honeymoon but if it really offends them that much then they don't have to join in! We are having only 50 people for the day and 90 for the evening so they are all very close family and friends so here's to hoping everyone understands!

After all, the 2 invites we have received so far this year both ask for actual money, and I wasn't offended! (just confused about how much you're meant to give!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics