Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SarahMuffin
Beginner May 2017

Honeymoon - How soon is too soon?

SarahMuffin, 24 of June of 2015 at 11:41 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 6

Good morning!

So we've set our date for May 2017 (eep!) and one of the first decisions we'be made is where we want to honeymoon (Orlando!!) it's going to cost roughly 3x the wedding itself but its our perfect holiday.

My question is, how soon will travel agents let you book? I know online it lets you book roughly 1 year ahead, but I'm wondering if I actually go in store and speak to an advisor, will they be able to help me out sooner (maybe around 18 months in advance) or will they look at my like I've lost my mind?

I don't want to wait too long to book because once we know for definite how much the honeymoon is going to cost we can be a bit more lenient with the rest of our budget.

Thanks!

xx

6 replies

Latest activity by TraceyDMartin, 26 of June of 2017 at 14:22
  • MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a year is about the limit. Most hotels, and pretty much all airlines, only release their prices 12 months in advance. We're also trying to budget for a honeymoon in 2017, so we're looking at package holidays covering the destinations that we want to go to and current flight prices, then adding a few thousand extra on to allow for changes in the exchange rate, price increases etc. We've decided to deliberately overbudget, then anything over the final cost is extra spending money.

• PrettyFlower90
    Beginner July 2016
    PrettyFlower90 ·
    • Hide content

We are going on honeymoon mid July and some places still won't help us. however thomsons seems to have holidays for that far in advance as I know someone who has booked their honeymoon for October 2016 already. When we first started talking to travel agent shops a few months ago, so it must have been start of this year, they basically laughed in our face. It really put me off as I don't need to feel stupid, you never know if you don't ask!

So my advice, you can do your online research now etc for places and possible budget if you look at may 2016 holidays, but think you may have to wait til next year to actuallystarting getting serious quotes etc.

But i totally get it's exciting!! Sometimes more than the wedding! Haha!

• S
    starparking01 ·
    • Hide content

Best of Luck for your spacial Honeymoon...?

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

For Orlando you could book more than a year ahead with the likes of Virgin Holidays or Thomson but you will pay a premium, and although you're excited you will save money by being patient. If you want to stay in Disney accommodation, you can book about 18 months ahead but it's worth waiting until April or May the year before you go as this is when they release offers, such as free dining, free gift card, free memory maker photo package.

Were orlando veterans and we always book 'DIY' - so we put together our own package. We book 9 or 10 nights in Disney direct with Disney a year or so in advance, to benefit from their offers (they're really good to move dates within a couple of days if you can't get the flights on the days you'd hoped for). We also book our Disney tickets direct as that's usually a condition of the special offers. Then we book flights, in the sales if possible - at the moment there are amazing prices if you go from Dublin due to different Air Passenger Duty and the weaker Euro. We will then book our other tickets with whoever offers the best price, Attraction Tickets Direct lets you pay a deposit and the balance later which is handy. We book our hire car with Alamo (we get a great rate as we have the Brits Guide to Orlando travel book. We book our Universal hotel about 6 months before and check prices on a comparison website. As long as you have insurance and pay by Visa debit or credit card, you're covered if someone goes bust etc., despite what some package holiday providers will tell you.

When in May is your wedding? The first 3 weeks of May is a great time to visit in terms of temperature and crowds but it gets busy (and expensive) from thereon with UK half terms, American school holidays and then UK school holidays. It also gets progressively hotter, over 110F when we were there last June, it was very uncomfortable. My favourite time to visit is November as its still hot but not unbearably so, it's quieter, it's cheaper and all the Christmas decs are up. Of course, you may be tied to school hols due to work or children.

There is a great website called The Dibb which has loads of info together with a forum section. It's amazing for newcomers, this is where we started and it's really helped us get the most out of our trips to Orlando.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

We booked our honeymoon for July next year in May of this year. We had to go through a personal travel advisor to allow us to do so as flights weren't out for this online. Anyway, we talked to the travel advisor and she got us a great deal, less than we expected which meant we knew we could definitely afford to go straight away after the wedding. We have already paid half of it off with the balance due 10 weeks before travel. Very happy we booked early to enable us to budget properly.

• V
    Beginner September 2015
    VegasBride2015 ·
    • Hide content

We are also going to orlando for our honeymoon & booked with virgin holidays. I think its usually a year before you can book once they release their flights. They have fab customer service so even give them a tweet to ask how far out you can book x

• T
    Beginner September 2017 Kent
    TraceyDMartin ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah,

Whilst 18 months is a little too early there's no harm in planning! Also keep track of when flights do become available as they are normally cheapest as soon as they go on sale.

In the meantime we planned a honeymoon registry site using flyustothemoon.com which help fund our honeymoon! might be off help.

Good luck planning!

Hollie

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics