Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner December 2015

Honeymoon in Cape Verde?

Bluesilver15, 27 of February of 2015 at 11:06 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 7

Hi all,

We're getting married on NYE. We really want a sunshine holiday but can't afford the £3k pp price tag for the Carribbean or Mauritus/Maldive (sigh, one day).

Someone suggested Cape Verde. Has anyone been? Do you think it would make a good honeymoon destination and does anyone have any hotel recommendations?

To add a bit of a complication, we are going on our own for week 1 and then my partners parents, sister and brother in law are bringing our son (who will be 6) out to join us for week 2. So looking for a hotel that can provide us with a bit of relaxation time, but also can cater to our son.

All suggestions of other possible destinations also welcome

xx

7 replies

Latest activity by Kathryn3, 3 of April of 2015 at 21:00
  • Elliefunt
    Beginner April 2016
    Elliefunt ·
    • Hide content

No suggestions but my other half is planning to organise our honeymoon in Cape Verde as well so watching with interest! And if he comes up with anything I will share.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Moonbeam88 ·
    • Hide content

Hi we've been to Boa Vista, we stayed in the Riu Tourag and had a fab time.

The island itself has some of the most beautiful beaches...white fine sands and bright blue sea. The beach by the hotel is very long and wide so easy to get a nice private spot. The landscape is absolutely barren, zero greenery - but beautiful in it's own way. The towns are poor but the people are very friendly.

We liked the Tourag and everyone we spoke to said it was the nicest of the two Riu's on the island. We stayed in the Adults Only section which gave an extra pool with fancy double sunbeds, an A La Carte restaurant and rooms with an all inclusive mini bar/optics. As a single couple travelling in the school holidays we were very glad we booked this as the other pool could get rather busy/rowdy at times! You could perhaps treat yourself to a week in this section then transfer the the main section when your son joins you? Children appeared to be well catered for, kids pools / clubs and evening entertainment etc. Only thing I would say is that the seas were very rough when we were there and not suitable for children - I think this depends on the time of year. We went in Aug/September.

Some people in the hotel complained it was boring - but these were the people that didn't leave the complex! We did quad biking twice (go with the beach guys rather than Thompson) and a few trips into the villages (Giggling Gecko is a brilliant company ran by a Scottish couple and we did some fab trips through them. Tis company supports the local community and gave a real insight into the real cape verde) The night at the beach hut is a must! Watching the sunset with AMAZING cocktails is a memory i'll treasure.

All in all we thought it was a beautiful country, a nice relaxing hotel and very good value. You can do as much or as little as you like.

Hope this helps!

x

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    Kathryn3 ·
    • Hide content

We're also thinking about Cape Verde for a week in the summer holidays 2016. We'll be without our 2 children so a week is all we can take (or more like all that my parents can take with a then 4 and 5 year old). I've been told it's like the Caribbean but without the price tag - which is very appealing. Be interested to follow this thread and see what others say.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

We've booked Cape Verde for our honeymoon in August! 5* resort for a week, with the upgrade to the Adults Only floor/package for £2500. Soooo cheap Smiley smile

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    Kathryn3 ·
    • Hide content

Nimsay - can I ask who you booked it through? We're thinking we'll be doing the now traditional thing of asking for money toward our honeymoon as wedding gifts. It seems like Thomas Cook and Thompsons are the options but they are not who we'd usually book with.

Ordinarily we'd book things independently but I feel it'd be a step too far to just ask people to pay money straight into a HSBC bank account with my name on it.

Ta

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

We booked through First Choice; previous holidays with them have been great.

Honestly, I never knew people got offended about asking for money in invitations until I joined Hitched. 3 out of 4 weddings I've attended in the past two years asked for money for a honeymoon, so I gave it! One of them used one of those websites where you donate honeymoon money- think it was called honey fund or something?!

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

We are staying here, it's new and only opened in November!

http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/accommodation/overview/Sal/Melia-Dunas-Resort-051325

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    Kathryn3 ·
    • Hide content

Looks lovely - please do report back! Hope you have a great time.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics