Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kentish Gal
Beginner July 2013

Honeymoon in UK vs abroad

Kentish Gal, 13 January, 2013 at 20:23 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hello, I am calling on you lovely ladies a lot today. We've found we're over our initial estimates by 50% and have been thinking about downscaling our honeymoon. Reasons being:

The honeymoon, to us, is a chance to relax, recover and spend quality time together. I have a 16 year old son so we don't live alone, and a week together would be bliss. We've both een lucky enough to have had our fair share of holidays and mini-breaks so the location isn't super important. We are going on a 10 day trip of a lifetime to New York at Easter with a big budget, and next year hope to travel to Oz to see my rellies. I like the idea of being in the UK in case anything happened with my son. I resent losing a day each end to travelling.

Our first thoughts were a holiday in Croatia consisting of walking, swimming, reading, eating out and lots of 'private time' *wink*. Then I realised I might get a little bored and started looking up bicycle hire, segway tours, nightclubs and wine tasting courses. Neither of us would ever sit and sunbathe or are particularly keen on taking it too easy.

So, those of you who have already been through this - do you think we could get a decent honeymoon in the UK? We live in Kent (duh! Didn't need to say that, given my username) and were thinking Cornwall, Lake District, Devon etc.

Or do you think the financial saving is so small that we may as well jet off somewhere that's guaranteed to give us the warm climate and relaxation we're looking for?

Thank you for any advice/knowledge Smiley smile

10 replies

Latest activity by lil_2014, 15 January, 2013 at 15:25
  • mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

We're thinking about doing the same thing for many of the same reasons. We have a 4 year old son and only have a week's window (he'll need to be dropped off at my parents' 3 hours away and picked up the following weekend) so we don't want to waste time travelling. We've both traveled a lot but have never really done the UK thing. OH doesn't like sunbathing and we'll be going in October so for guaranteed sun we'd need to go long haul which involves even more travelling.

We're thinking about doing a bit of a road trip to the Costwolds and surrounding area, spending a couple of nights each in some lovely boutique hotels. I've already fallen in love with this one: http://www.cotswolds88hotel.com/

Like you, a week alone together is a rare treat and we want ti maximise the time and just enjoy completely chilling out. I don't think we'll save any money to be honest - it can often be cheaper to go to Europe - but it's definitely more practical for us.

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What about Marrakech? Three and a half hours flight.

I hate long haul and so we plumped for Italy. I would compare a few UK and abroad honeymoons with the qualities you want and see if you are saving much. I think there's something very romantic about some places in the UK (the places you name mainly) but there's no guarantee of sunshine. Happy honeymoon hunting!

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True, but we went there last year and although we loved it we wanted to try somewhere new. We did mention Essaouira though as an alternative if we did go abroad so we might get some sun yet.

All this is defo the least stressful part of the organising!

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

Agreed!

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to suggest to the OH a few nights just us in a hotel where he took me for the day the first weekend we met (had been chatting on a dating website before then), and then ask our guests to contribute to a camping holiday in the Lakes for us and our 4 kids from our previous marriages, if they want to come (they will range from 11 to 16 by then).

Want to get the best of time alone and time as a family

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I wasn't the least bit excited about my honeymoon, honestly, not at all. But now we've made a decision that even if there's no saving we want to stay in the UK and do things we love I'm mega excited!!!!

We hope to match our Croatia budget (£1,200 for everything) and have 4 nights in a cottage in/near Dartmoor from the Monday. We'll take the bikes, the camping stove, we'll go for picnics, maybe canoeing, horseriding, and cook meals together in the cottage (hopefully saving some pennies there). I'm just trying to find somewhere not too dear that does part-week breaks. Then we'll head on to Cornwall and stay in a nice seaside hotel for meals out and room service and walks by the sea. Then head home via Stonehenge. I absolutely love the prospect of this and it's so much more us than aimless wandering around ruins and beach walks.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Oooh, sounds fab ?

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This sounds perfect ?

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

For 1.2k I think you'll get a lot of good done in the UK! You can opt for more luxury with the extra dosh from the flights money!

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Whilst continuing my under-budgeting theme that appears to be consistent throughout ALL my wedding planning, the 1.2k was to cover accomodation and basic spending. So it's not a massive amount but we've just got a fab cottage for £330 and a hotel for £360 and are just a thousand times happier with the prospect. And we can take food along (I'm thinking leftover wedding cheese, hhmmmmmm) and our bikes etc Smiley smile

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

This is something we are also looking at!

We have honeymoon type of holidays quite frequently and doing it in UK would save us money too.

I can't help much at the moment as I haven't planned anything for it yet, but can give you a tip to join Groupon which can have lots of offers for your trip!

I will keep an eye there when my time comes Smiley winking

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics