Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs Bass
Beginner March 2011

**Honeymoon Report- Cuba**

Mrs Bass, 12 April, 2011 at 18:20 Posted on Planning 0 22

I thought I would do a quick report on our honeymoon incase anyone is thinking of goint to Cuba or still trying to decide where to go!

we had 7 days in Havana staying at the Hotel National and 7 days in Guardalavaca stayin at Paradisus Rio de Oro restort (5star, all inclusive, children free!)

After a long flight, we arrived late at the Hotel National which was an impressive hotel! I was so excited when we got to our room to discover that Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardener had stayed their on their honey moon! It turns out that our floor they were keeping in the design it was originally in the 1930’s and a few of the rooms have plaques outside to tell you which famous person has stayed there!

We went for a wonder and realised that we weren’t too far from old Havana but we would explore properly the next day.

We had our rep meeting first thing and there was another couple also on their honeymoon, after which we wondered off into old Havana.

We saw so many old cars, not just for the tourist, so many residents have them, we had a mojito at the Barcardi building and lunch on the harbour.

We did a LOT of walking, though old streets, stopping at bars for a drink and to listen to some jazz. We also went to the Havana Club Rum museum which has a great bar next to it with a fab band. Walking back through Old Havana we stopped for a drink and spotted the other honeymoon could and got chatting and decided to meet up for dinner later on in the week!

The next morning we went to see the rep and bumped into the honey moon couple again and we got chatting, then decided to have a mojito, which led to god knows how many, after so many days walking around it was really nice to have a day sat at the hotel drinking mojitos with our new friends! That night we went to Club Tropicana which was brilliant. OH was really sceptical about it but enjoyed it (a day of mojitos may have helped!)

The next day we went back into old Havana, visited a cigar factory which was fascinating, everything was done by hand, there are no machines at all and their training is quite intense!

We got went to the harbour again to mootch around the indoor market then we got a ride back to the hotel in a 1946 Chevrolet!

That night we went for a wonder to a Jazz bar that had been recommended.

There is so much to see and do in Havana and I am so glad that we had 7 days there. Especially as our hotel was a little way out of central Havana. Im sure if you stayed in the centre you could probably see and do everything in 3 days but I enjoyed breaking it up with our Mojito day!

Our transfer for our internal flight picked us up at 3 am! Yuck! We had an interesting flight on a rather old looking plane! We arrived at our resort just after 9am and it looked stunning, our bags were taken off us and we were sent straight into breakfast where i was impressed that one section of the buffet had the ingredients for bloody Mary and a bucket of champagne! I knew i was going to enjoy being all inclusive! We had an amazing week in Guardalavaca. The beach was glorious and you could walk up to a reef where we went snorkelling and saw some amazing fish and an little octopus!

The food was delicious, there was the main buffet you could have breakfast, lunch or dinner in then there were 5 separate restaurants, we tried the Cuban and Japanese.

As we were honeymooners, we had a bottle of champagne waiting and fruit and we got invited to a special dinner on the beach one night!

There were plenty of activities and we had fun with archery, its not the same as on the Wii!

Our internal flight back to Havana was early so we had about 5 hours to kill in the centre again b4 heading to the airport, luckily another couple were in the same situation so we went for more mojitos with them. When we got to Havana airport we met up with the couple from our fist hotel and the 6 of us....you guessed it, drank mojitos!!

It was absolutely brilliant and i would thoroughly recommend Cuba.

If anyone has any questions, just ask!

22 replies

Latest activity by LilLosa1202, 22 February, 2013 at 21:06
  • *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

That looks gorgeous, Cuba is one of our potential honeymoon destinations so thanks for the report Smiley smile

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

It looks amazing.....and you both looked so happy x

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for doing this report!!

It's Paradisus Rio de Oro that we're staying at so I'm extra pleased you had a lovely time and you've definitely confirmed that I want to go to Havana!

I'm going to read your report to OH at the weekend ? (btw, feel free to tell me everything or post as many pics as you like lol!!)

x

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

Oh, I meant to ask, did you go Royal Service?

What were the rooms like?

x

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

It looks and sounds amazing! x

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

no we didnt, just the normal room but they were lovely! look see...

the rooms with an out door shower and hamock we wround the edge of the resoty, the hamocks were'nt very private and i dont think the rooms were much bigger. We had a strole up to the Royal Service area one night after dinner, they looked really big and each room/apartment was so private i couldnt get a good nosey at all!!! ?

all the staff we so friendly and helpful! OH was a bit concerned about a) sitting on a beach for a week and b) being at a resort but he loved it! a couple of times we put the telly on while getting ready in the morning and we would start watching a film then i would feel guilty and say we should get out in the sun but OH would say that we were there to relax and chill so why not do so on the mahoosive bed (we could both star fish and still not touch each other!!) in front of a film!

we tended to wonder out for breckfast then stoll down and if the beds by the pool were full, just walk down to the beach, b4 you know it (either at the pool or on the beach) a waiter would walk past, ask how your day was going and if you wanted a drink!!

If you are spending the majoriy of your time here and having an over night trip to Havana, just be prepared that it will be different, in Havana, the loos in bars & resturants tend to have a lady out side who expect a few coins in exchange for some toilet paper, then it is unlikley that the loo has a seat!! after 7 days in Havana, it was quite a luxary at the resort to have such nice loos! ?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

OOOH and the third to last pic on my post, the canoped area is by the main lobby bar and all through the day they have drinks and bible on from juice and coffe in the morn and in the eve canepes and champagne, so if there is a queue at the bar, head there!!! the most often heard sound you hear will be the popping of champagne corks!!

• kerrylou89
    Beginner August 2011
    kerrylou89 ·
    • Hide content

Looks lovely glad you had a nice time Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner March 2011
    FionaWalker ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I haven't posted on here that much but still lurk. Saw your thread name and thought I'd have a nose. It was like reading about our honeymoon. We went to Cuba on HM on 7th March for 2 weeks and stayed at the Nationale too and did pretty much all the same things in Havanna. Amazing isn't it!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

how bizare we flew out on the 9th and were there for a week, we probably walked past each other or had breakfast next to each other!! did you see the world's tallest man whiole you were there?! he was staing in the NAtionale!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

When i was in cuba last year we visited at paradise ore hotel as were staying next door at luna mars!! the beach, which was the same one (playa esmerelda?) was the best beach ive ever ever been on FACT!!

seeing your pics make me miss it soooooooooooooooo much!!

• F
    Beginner May 2011
    FutureMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Wow sounds like you had a great time.. I keep looking at Cuba my OH has been before and loved it.. A friend of mine has just come back from 2 months travelling and staying in Cuba and said it is the most amazing place..

We still haven't booked our honeymoon, i might add this to our last minute list!!!?

• F
    Beginner March 2011
    FionaWalker ·
    • Hide content

We got married the day before you .... just seen your ticker. Did you have good weather? We were so lucky!

Yup, we probably waited for our toast together or something! That's really bizarre! Were you there for the high wind???? I nearly blew over! No, didn't see the tallest man. Oh ...... lets go back!!!!!

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

This will bring back a nice memory for you

(from a wedding i shot at the Paridiso De Orr in Gardalavaca in Cuba)

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yeah it stayed dry all day and we got a burst of sun shine towards to end of our photos! it was a bit cold and BM and TOG kept asking if i wanted a shawl or anything while we were having our photos done but i must have had so much adrenalin rushing through me as i didnt even have goosebumps, felt dine!

yes, we were in Old havana and had to take refuge in a bar (what a chore!) that was crazy!!

we are definatly going to go back one day!!!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Oh, yes, this highly amused us!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

OH and I are planning on doing a similar thing for our honeymoon (a few nights in Havana and then the rest of the honeymoon in a resort, possibly Varadero). We seem to be having a lot of trouble finding websites that do Cuba holidays though, if they do its a big 2 week package in one place which isn't what we want. We've found reasonably priced flights online but can't seem to find anywhere where you can just book the hotels. How/where did you book your honeymoon?

• LilLosa1202
    Beginner June 2013
    LilLosa1202 ·
    • Hide content

Love your pics, looks absolutely gorgeous out there, sounds like you had an amazing time, i cant wait to go now Smiley smile eek x

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Finding this thread bumped this morning has given me a little burst of excitement since Cuba is our honeymoon destination ! ?

Love your pics and can't wait to get there now !!

Can you tell me if there is any dress code for the Club Tropicana ? as I haven't got a clue what pack for our night there

L x

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous!!!! Great to see the pics too..... My OH went to Cuba the first time he married and he often talks about what a fab place it was. He went late september I think, and every day they had a short but heavy warm rainstorm..... He said it was always a welcome relief so wasn't a problem. He also made sure he had a pocket full of sweets.... The local children were often very poor and thought it was wonderful that he gave them some. There was definitely plenty to do.... Alot of which he ended up doing alone cos his then oh was a right mardy mare (trust me, I've known her for years lol). He couldn't find fault with Cuba at all and thoroughly recommends it as a destination.... So anyone thinking of it, just checking that it's not too rainy at that time and get booking!! :0) Happy Honeymoon Folks!!! Xx

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous!!!! Great to see the pics too..... My OH went to Cuba the first time he married and he often talks about what a fab place it was. He went late september I think, and every day they had a short but heavy warm rainstorm..... He said it was always a welcome relief so wasn't a problem. He also made sure he had a pocket full of sweets.... The local children were often very poor and thought it was wonderful that he gave them some. There was definitely plenty to do.... Alot of which he ended up doing alone cos his then oh was a right mardy mare (trust me, I've known her for years lol). He couldn't find fault with Cuba at all and thoroughly recommends it as a destination.... So anyone thinking of it, just checking that it's not too rainy at that time and get booking!! :0) Happy Honeymoon Folks!!! Xx

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow, it looks great. Certainly one to put on our future destinations list.

• LilLosa1202
    Beginner June 2013
    LilLosa1202 ·
    • Hide content

Wherabouts are you honeymooning in Cuba, i get married out there in Brisas Guardalavaca in 4 months time x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics