Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner March 2014

Honeymoon - straight after the wedding or wait????

Germanbride, 18 of August of 2013 at 17:27 Posted on Planning 0 23

Hi all,

we have been to the travel agent today to see what the options are with regards to our honeymoon.

Now this is the second marriage for my OH so he is not too bothered for a typical honeymoon. It's my first wedding and I always dreamt of somewhere like the Seychelles or Mauritius.

Today we found some really nice deals for the Dominican Republic which would be in our price range to leave straight after the wedding in March. We won't be able to afford the Seychelles or Mauritius straight after the wedding.

So here is the question: do we go to the Dominican straight after the wedding for 2 weeks or do we wait until September and do 4 days Dubai followed by 10 days Mauritius and spend 1k more than what the Dominican Republic would cost us?????

Would you wait for your honeymoon or would you want to go straight away???

Any opinions are welcome as we really don't know what to do.

Thanks all!!

23 replies

Latest activity by Stacey1987, 18 of August of 2013 at 21:58
  • Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

We're going straight away but it's for practical reasons rather than anything else - my babysitter will already be here to watch the children for a week instead of having to travel back at a later date. Our wedding is on the Saturday and we fly out on the Monday.

• Y
    Beginner April 2014
    YellowDuckie ·
    • Hide content

We're going on a mini break straight after but saving the big honeymoon til Oct (we get married in April). I think you should go to your dream place a few months later personally. It'll give you something else to look forward to as well.

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

Just like Mrs Long, we're hoping to go on a mini break straight after the wedding and then having a bigger honeymoon a few months later. Forgetting about the timings - which would you both prefer as a holiday?

• woowoo83
    Beginner October 2013
    woowoo83 ·
    • Hide content

We're going 4 days after but I can totally see the advantage of waiting, it does give you something else to look forward to - I'm certainly not looking forward to returning to normal after the wedding and honeymoon, having something else to focus on would be great!

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

We are going straight away. The place I really wanted to go we can't as its monsoon season there in April/may so we have changed where we are going and can afford to be away for longer. We could have waited 6 months and gone but I really wanted to go straight away.

I guess it depends on how important the place is that you want go to? If your heart is set on the Seychelles then wait :-)

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Before my wedding I'd have said wait, but I now believe a honeymoon is so much more than a holiday! It was a super little romantic bubble. We were on a high from the greatest day of our lives. Things had been so crazy and busy and tiring leading up to the wedding that enjoying one another and being on our own was just wonderful. We relived the day over and over. We did saucy honeymoon-type things and we just basked in being newlyweds. It was a pretty unglamourous honeymoon, as they go, but it was beautiful and magical because it *was* a honeymoon, if you see what I mean.

All my votes go for having your honeymoon straight after!

• Indiefluff
    Beginner August 2013
    Indiefluff ·
    • Hide content

Well we had a long weekend away to the lake district the day after our wedding, which was absolutely perfect. Then we're off to Mexico in November, which as others have already said, is something that we are really looking forward to now!

I think you should go where you have your heart set on, honeymoons are often a once in a lifetime trip for alot of couples.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

We got married on 1st of June but we don't go on our honeymoon until next month. We decided to have a bit of a gap between the wedding and the honeymoon so that we could "get over" the wedding (in the nicest sense!) and to have something else to look forward to once the wedding was over. I am really ready for it now so I am counting down the days!

Our honeymoon destination isn't affected by rainy seasons but if it was, I would be happy to delay to go at the right time.

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on the Friday and jetting off on the Sunday, I can't imagine having to return to normal straight after the wedding. We initially were struggling to find somewhere suitable for April/May that we both loved, had to rule out a few places we really wanted to go to because of monsoon etc but we've now planned something we both love even more than our original idea.

• J
    Beginner August 2014
    jo-jo1983 ·
    • Hide content

We are going 1 month exactly after the day

1) because it is over £1500 cheaper

2) safari means its a better time to see the animals

3) my work is very busy in aug so sept is quieter

but most important i feel that it means it wont be so much of a shock doing wedding and then honeymoon straight away and back to nothing.

We will go to a hotel in here in ireland for a few nights after the wedding to relax before going back to work.

• Lommel
    Beginner August 2014
    Lommel ·
    • Hide content

We'll be waiting. We get married in May but will most likely go away in August. Firstly because its easier to fit around contact with OHs children from his first marriage. His ex-wife takes them away for two weeks. Secondly we'd like to start trying for a baby on our honeymoon and if I conceived in May, I'd be giving birth when I'm supposed to be writing my dissertation for Uni...!

In your situation I'd probably wait. You only get to honeymoon once (well in most cases - my OH went on a mega honeymoon with his ex wife!) so I'd rather wait and have what I wanted. Plus it's something to look forward to after the excitement of the wedding is over!

• EmmaM88
    Beginner July 2014
    EmmaM88 ·
    • Hide content

We are both itching to get away having not been abroad since Sept 2010 so hoping to go straight after in July. Plus we want to start trying so don't want to leave it until head down toilet stage and I can't enjoy it... ha! ?

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

We're doing a four night mini-moon straight after (wedding on Sat, going on the Mon) at a 5* luxury lodge with hot tub etc, so that will be our typical 'honeymoon', but we'll also be going to Malaysia 6 months after the wedding in the August, we would t be able to afford it straight after the wedding!

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

Were going to go straight away again for pratical reasons - due to having time off with work.

if its cheaper for you to go another time then i would say go for it!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We're going to Mauritius the day after the wedding. When we were looking we found Mauritius to be much cheaper than Maldives or Seychelles. Have a look around for some good deals, you may find something more affordable.

If you really want to go there then I'd save and go a little later and maybe have a mini break away somewhere else straight after wedding.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

It's whats most important to you really, the honeymoon being straight away or having the holiday/honeymoon you'd prefer? If you think it's worth waiting for you could do that and have a few days away straight after your wedding and still be able to afford your dream location?
    Or if you want to leave straight away then Dominican is your best bet, if it was me i'd probably wait it out but still have a weekend away after the wedding so you still have the "just married" romantic time together while you're still all lovey after being married Smiley smile

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Straight away, definitely. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's not really a honeymoon (traditionally the "sweet month" as a newlywed), it's just a nice holiday with your husband. You can always save for another big holiday once you're married, and maybe go away for an anniversary one year.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I think some people think the honeymoon is the one time they can go a 'bit crazy' on a holiday. I don't agree with that at all! Your money, you go for it, regardless of whether it's a holiday you've worked your nads off for and deserve, or your honeymoon. We had a big trip away 3 months before our wedding, did the USA tourist thing for 10 days, loved it.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

We're going straight after the wedding but mainly because we didn't really want to wait and thought it seemed more special to go straight after. It isnt' quite the right season for a our destination either but we're going to go for it anyway. It's down to personal choice in the end so have a think about how important it is to you to go away straight after or not. Also, worth having a good think about the destinations and if you'd be a bit disappointed if you didn't get to go to the Seychelles or Mauritius.

Dominican Republic is a really lovely and you do get some good deals for your money, we went there a few years ago and had an amazing time (haven't been to the Seychelles or Mauritius though and I hear they're incredible!). If you don't go straight away, a mini moon is a nice idea - you could go to a luxury cottage in this country for a few days or something similar?

• *Munchkin*
    Beginner October 2013
    *Munchkin* ·
    • Hide content

Due to work constraints, we've had to go for a mini-moon straight after the wedding followed by a longer honeymoon a few months later. In a way, it has made the planning for our honeymoon feel less 'honeymoon like', but both of us are incredibly excited for it nonetheless.

Unfortunately, when you're in a job with a restricted holiday pattern, you have to go with the flow!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We waited 4 months to have our honeymoon. We did this for 2 reasons, firstly because I couldn't get time off work and secondly because we wanted to tie it into an annuel event that was going on in Vegas at the time.

• G
    Beginner March 2014
    Germanbride ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your replies and advice. We will have another look around but it seems like at the moment that we will go straight after the wedding. Also the thing with going to the Seychelles or Mauritius is that it will be approx 1k more expensive than if we would go straight away. Also if we do a mini-moon beforehand we would still spend quite a bit of money on this and if I just look at the money it would make more sense to just go after the wedding.

Then there is also the trying for a baby. Ideally we would like to start straight away and I do not want to be pregnant on my special holiday!!!! Smiley smile) Especially not with god knows how many lovely bars and an all inclusive offer Smiley smile)

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

We went the day after our wedding. Felt pretty bad as we would have saved a lot of money by going about 2/3 weeks later, but for me, the magic of going straight after wedding was so important to me. Really didn't want to go back to work for 2 weeks in-between as wanted the special honeymoon feel!

• S
    Beginner August 2013
    Stacey1987 ·
    • Hide content

I wish we could have a honeymoon but with me starting university and my hubby to be being in the army its impossible as they only get set leave dates Smiley sad

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics