Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

donnyette
Beginner December 2016

honeymoon to see northern lights!

donnyette, 2 of June of 2014 at 22:02 Posted on Planning 0 12

So we have been discussing honeymoons tonight. We originally wasnt going to have one due to budget but OH has come into a bit of extra money and has suggested we go on honeymoon now we can afford it.

He threw up the idea of going to see the northern lights as he knows its always been a dream of mine.

Has anyone ever been or have any advice on where best to go? Norway? Finland? No idea x any help appreciated x

12 replies

Latest activity by emjjarvy, 3 of June of 2014 at 14:54
  • MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

No idea, but great, that will be amazing!! Congratulations xx

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

That's what we're planning to do. ?

Iceland is supposed to be best but is, of course, the most expensive. Norway and Finland you need to make sure you're really far north or you won't get the full experience.

We haven't booked anything yet so perhaps we should look out for deals and let each other know! ?

• Suzie88
    Beginner August 2014
    Suzie88 ·
    • Hide content

I went to Finland to see the lights and it snowed the entire 5 days we were there, so lots of cloud and no chance of spotting the lights.

Wherever you go, make sure you have a lot to look forward to aside from the lights just in case you luck out weather wise like we did.

We are actually off to Iceland for our honeymoon, but we are going in August, so no chance of spotting them at all! If you consider Iceland, then get booking early as I've noticed prices creeping up a lot as we are getting closer to the time!

Good luck finding your destination!! That was the hardest decision of our wedding!!!

• donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

Melancholie I will definitely let you know if infind a good deal. Have read that the best time to see the lights is between sept and march. Our wedding is octandplanning in goi g in jan so we can get Christmas and new year out the way first.

We have been looking at Norway but the cabins in Finland look really nice. We are looking at doing some snowboarding too and maybe some huskie/reindeer sledding.

It does say that you can be there for ages and not see anything or be there for a day and see loads. Cant depend on mother nature to do what you want x

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

Obviously winter best time to go (which is handy for you ?) as summer in the Artic circle means mostly daytime.

My friends are having a very delayed honeymoon this winter and they've gone for Finland - if I find out any more about their plans, I'll come back and share.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

It's the irony of something like this - I am jealous by the way - you can spend a fortune going to the most likely place and see nothing - but then you can drop on and see them from here - barmy lol.

My OH has seen them several times - he used to be in the navy and spent a lot of time "up north" He saw them at the north pole; lucky so and so. It's my dream too so am deeply envious of anyone who does a trip and gets to see them. I've never dropped on here either even earlier this year when you could see them as far down as Norfolk.

I know people who've gone to Iceland in part because if they don't see the lights there's lots of other amazing stuff too, but I know the price can really hike up. Hope you find the perfect trip and the lights light up your visit Smiley smile x

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

I'd love to go to Iceland, but to be honest any of the Scandinavian countries would be amazing!

• Merigold
    Beginner June 2014
    Merigold ·
    • Hide content

I loved Iceland, not just because it was where I was proposed to on a dramatic cliff side beach strewn with black lava sand..lol.

As for Iceland being expensive - you need to shop around. if you're willing to stay at farms, pensions,self cater and self drive you save a fortune. Hiking is free and we did alot of that.

One of the the best experiences we had was driving uphill, a shale srewn road which was clearly made for a 4x4 in our Suzuki Swift hire car...scary but awesome way to test the mettle of a relationship.

• D
    Beginner August 2014
    Deb11 ·
    • Hide content

No but there's apparently a very good deal on this on secret escapes at the moment - worth a look!

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

We went to Lapland Finland with Inghams and stayed in a log cabin in a ski resort Yllas unfortunately we didn't get to see the northern lights even though it was clear skies :-/ however we had a fantastic time snowmobiling, snow shoeing and going on a reindeer sleigh. We loved the place so much were getting married there next December but this time staying in a place called Levi. The best time to go is nov-February for the northern lights. We went just after new year last time and saved over £600 just for skipping new year. The log cabins have their own sauna and we got free hire of cross country skis and snow shoes too. You can get half board with hotels but it means walking for breakfast. We chose not to go half board and cooked our own breakfast and ate out for dinner. You can hire winter suits instead of buying your own too. Were staying in a hotel this time just because there is a spa for me to get my hair done there and make up for my wedding day but when we go again I guarantee we will stay in a log cabin again. They have fires and under floor heating too!

• MrsParadise
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsParadise ·
    • Hide content

We are planning on going to Norway to see the lights for our honeymoon!!! Our big day is not till September 2015, I've heard that the best time to try and see the lights are jan/February/march. We're looking into having a cruise with a few stop offs :0)

• emjjarvy
    Beginner September 2014
    emjjarvy ·
    • Hide content

What a fab honeymoon!!

I've been to Saariselka in Finland twice, and was lucky enough to see the lights both times I was there. Sasariselka is in the arctic circle (so very far north!) increasing your chances. If you have any clear sky you are pretty sure to see them. Only downside is its a bit nippy (went down to -39 on our first night but warmed up to about -15 by the end of the week) so pack your thermals! A snood is essential!

The scenery is amazing and honestly like something out of Narnia. We also did a husky trip which was fab (and is partly the reason why we now have 2 huskies lol) and a snowmobile trip. It is also a ski resort so you can have a go at that too while you are there. We booked with Inghams the first time and booked it all ourselves the second time and hired a car. Loads of info and accom on

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics