Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner September 2011

Honeymoon travel in married name advice

jellytotlou, 21 March, 2011 at 20:51 Posted on Planning 0 18

We were about to book our honeymoon tonight to America tonight with me travelling in my married name. I'd already looked into changing the name on my passport in advance of the wedding so I didn't think it would be problem. But the travel agent advised to book in my maiden name instead to enable to get the ESTA visa waiver application done in plenty of time. The only way I could travel in my married name would be to do the online application on the wedding day which is cutting it a bit fine.

I guess its not the end of the world not to travel in my married name but its something I've thought I'd do all along. I just wondered what other people are doing in similar situations.

18 replies

Latest activity by MrsLove, 22 March, 2011 at 19:54
  • fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

I booked our honeymoon in my maiden name, but my OH is lead passenger. I'll just change everything when we get back.

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

I spoke to the travel agent about this

She said that if you change your name on your passport you have to change the entire passport and pay for a new one, meaning you loose all the years left on it.

She also said its not worth it, you may as well just keep your passport until it needs to be changed, but you have to book the ticket in your maiden name becuase your passport and ticket have to match.

Not sure if this would help - but It helped me decide there is no point in changing my name on my passport if it means loosing 5 years I've already paid for. x

• sarahjolley
    Beginner September 2012
    sarahjolley ·
    • Hide content

I am a travel agent and find most book in maiden name, as if you change ur passport you pay for a brand new one which I think its a bit unfair. You can advise who you are travelling with that you celebrating your honeymoon

with americas strict esta visa now u need to provide all ur passport info 72 hrs before travel

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

I only renewed my passport a few months before our wedding so there was no way I was going to pay for a whole new one. I'll just keep it and keep booking tickets in my maiden name until it's up for renewal again. Doesn't make any difference, unless you wanted to keep your ticket in a memory box or something

• SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content

I was lucky in that I only had just over two years left on my passport so when I got one in advance of the wedding it was for 10 years plus a few months...Cant remember now exactly ho wmany but worked out I would only loose about a year so I thought it was worth it to be Mrs D***** on the honeymoon.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

There are 6 weeks between my wedding and leaving to go on our honeymoon. I am changing mine into my married name. I will lose a couple of years on my passport but not loads (the joys of being older). The best bit is that if I was British I would have to pay hundreds to gaurantee that I got my new one back in time. As it is I am Irish and so all I have to do is hand the application in with proof of when I am travelling and they will gaurantee to get me my new passport in time with no extra cost!! We are planning on travelling alot in the future as I have just paid of most of my debts adn so we have freed money up, and I want to be able to collect all the country stamps in my passport.

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    Hayse-08/10/11 ·
    • Hide content

Haven't given much thought to this but it makes sense for me to travel in my maiden name. I will think about changing all the documents to my married name after our honeymoon when I will hopefully have more time x

• L
    Beginner March 2012
    Leabee28 ·
    • Hide content

Im going in my maiden name on our mini moon and then changing it when we get home as it is due 12 months after the wedding i will only loose 3 months as i think they carry 9 over for us so when we go on our proper moon i will be in my new name.

I looked into changing before but I really dont think its worth the hassle xx

• J
    Beginner September 2011
    jellytotlou ·
    • Hide content

Maiden name it is then. Thanks everyone, I think I thought everyone travelled in their married name for some reason but obviously not. Hopefully get it all booked up tonight.

• kerrylou89
    Beginner August 2011
    kerrylou89 ·
    • Hide content

Im travelling on my married name as i thought it would be nicer Smiley smile but i was advised to just travel on my maiden, but id eventually have to change it so might aswell do it now Smiley smile xx

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I'd love to book ours in my Married name, but I never know when I might need to travel so 6 weeks without a passport (as it would be post dated) could be a problem for me. So i've booked our honeymoon in my Maiden name and will change it over xmas 2011 before we go on our second honeymoon.

• kerrylou89
    Beginner August 2011
    kerrylou89 ·
    • Hide content

I rang the passport office and apparantly you can do the name change in the 1hour process that they offer x

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

My OH was really keen for me to travel in my married name so have booked honeymoon in that. You can change your passport up to 3 months before your married - you just cant use it until after you are married - NB for hen do's abroad. We're going to American and it wont be a problem as I can change mine so far in advance, but yes I will have to pay for a new one, but mine only has 2 years left on it so not a huge amount

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married while we're away so it's never been an option for me to change my name before but I've had to check with the embassy to make sure my passport is ok - we are away Feb/March 2012 and my passport runs out August 2012. Apparently for Canada we only need the passports to be valid for the length of time we're actually there, but we're finishing the holiday off with a few nights in New York - will have to check the US embassy too in case I need a full 6 months validity - that'd be a right pain!!

• maryg111
    Beginner May 2011
    maryg111 ·
    • Hide content

I'm travelling in my maiden name - and we booked a mini moon with the kids in august and i booked that in my maiden name too - i don't want any extra stress if its not all sorted in time!!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

My Passport runs out in Jan 2012, and we go on honeymoon in October so was gona get my passport in my new name and travel as Mrs T...however...OH booked the honymoon as a surpise and booked it in my maiden name!! so i gotta renew my passport as Miss...and then i will stay miss for another 10 years unless i pay another £80 for a new passport. Dammit!

• JezVonSavage
    Beginner September 2012
    JezVonSavage ·
    • Hide content

I didn't know you had to pay for a whole new passport!! What a load of crap, I've ONLY JUST renewed mine!! So I'd lose 9 years on it, brilliant.

• M
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsLove ·
    • Hide content

I am travelling in my maiden name for partly the same reason - travel agent advised me to keep my maiden name as we are also going to America and because my passport doesn't expire until 2013 so might just wait until then as I can't see us being able to afford another holiday abroad for the next few years after the wedding, honeymoon, new house soon and fingers crossed a family!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics