Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2016

Honouring family members at the wedding that are no longer with us - ideas?

Little_MrsA2B, 2 of October of 2014 at 15:02 Posted on Planning 1 14

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie. Just got engaged last week and I am soooooooo happy! I am so excited to be marrying the most incredible person in the world Smiley smile I'm sure I will have a lot of questions for you all, as I am COMPLETELY clueless about weddings and am not very 'girly girl' at all! Still, I will give it a try!

I had a question and I wondered if any of you had been in the same position. My H2B's mum died about a year before we met so unfortunately I never got to meet her. Having got to know my H2B and his 3 siblings, I don't doubt she was a phenomenal woman. I would like to have some way of honouring her at our wedding but not sure how we could do this. Have any of you done anything similar?

I'd really appreciate any ideas from you all! Thanks Smiley smile x

14 replies

Latest activity by Shelly70, 5 of October of 2014 at 07:29
  • LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

Hi there Smiley smile

Congratulations on getting engaged!!

I think its lovely that you wanted to honor your partner's mother ... we're doing a similar thing for the people we wish could be with us

It's nothing fancy mind, just a table decorated nicely with some of our favorite photos of them all and a plaque that says "We know you would be here today if Heaven weren't so far away" <-- shamelessly stolen from Pinterest!

We'll have some sunflower shaped cupcakes for that table, as they were my great-grandma's favorite, and probably some small-ish bunches of gypsophila in little vases

Not sure if this helps, but I hope you enjoy planning your special day
    Best of luck Smiley smile

x

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

We have got a personalised candle from ebay for my dad and OHs aunt, i got one that could have 2 names put on with a poem, and this will stand on the cake table during the wedding breakfast then on to the card table during the evening xx

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement.

OH's Mum died 5 years ago and his only brother died 8 years ago. We acknowledged them by having favours from Cancer Research with a little card about them. We also did a toast to them during the speeches. We did debate having pictures of them or leaving a chair for them but OH would have found it too emotional, so it was nice that we included their memory but kept it low key.

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Little_MrsA2B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for your suggestions, really appreciate that Smiley smile

They're all great ideas that sound very personal, which is just what is needed. I think I'll need to chat it through more with H2B and his siblings as I don't want to make it difficult for them. Just would like to have some reference to their mum with us on the day, even if it's just a subtle thing only we know.

I didn't even know you could get personalised candles! So clueless! I'll give it some more thought and chat with Mr A.

Thanks you Smiley smile

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to Hitched!

Out of our 4 parents, 3 have died, so we certainly want to remember the others. We too will be having a memory table with framed pictures and a note similar to the one above, plus a candle in a hurricane lamp. It will also include pictures of my grandparents and a good friend who is also no longer here.

We will also be mentioning them in our speeches - my son is walking me down the aisle as my dad is no longer alive, so when I thank my son for taking over the role, I will also be mentioning the fact that he was asked to fill a very big pair of shoes, so to speak, and that my dad would be proud. That type of thing.

Finally, and this is a bit odd, I know, I still have some of my dad's ashes. Most were scattered, but I wasn't completely ready to do this and felt rushed into it, so we kept a small amount back and keep it safe. Most of the family don't know about it, they think the deed was done. My children and my H2B know, though, and we are going to wrap the ashes and put them in a locket which I will pin to one of the layers of my dress.....so that my dad can walk down the aisle with me. Only the 4 of us will know, and we will smile.

For everyone else to see, I will have a small photo on a bouquet frame, of each of our parents, which will be pinned to the stem of my bouquet - these are easily found on amazon/etsy etc.

Most of all, remember that there will be many times on the day when someone has a "moment" of wishing she was there, but they will be a mixture of happiness, love, and sadness. They will be there in people's hearts, and that is the biggest honour one can give, in my opinion.

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

Yes have a look on eBay I think you can get some that can have a photo on Xx

• CBeckford
    Rockstar July 2015
    CBeckford ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

We're going to have candles on the top table dedicated to our loved ones (Grandparents) who are no longer with us, we will also have framed photos.

x

• S
    Beginner May 2016
    Sparty ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement! I think it is lovely that you want to do something for H2B's mum to remember her on your big day. I lost my mum when I was 9 and will be doing a little something to remember her by on my big day. In fact now I think of it there will be lots of things lol.

1. She loved yellow roses so I will have some of those in my bouquet and bridesmaid bouquet

2. I am getting married abroad and will be asking one of my guests to take my bouquet back home to hang for me until I get back from my mini moon. Then I am taking it down to the crematorium she was cremated at and I am going to leave it in the chapel of rest.

3. She loved Michael Bolton so I am having a phrase from one of his songs put on the front of the order of service - just about 4 lines that will suit a wedding. (I have found a couple of options). Nobody need know the meaning behind this but me, my sister and my dad.

4. My dad will mention absent friends in his speech but will keep it brief so as not to lower the mood (plus I will already be tearful enough haha)

5. My dad kept my mums engagement and wedding rings. When my sister got married she had the wedding band and some diamonds from the engagement ring made into a wedding ring for her. There are some of the diamonds left so I am planning to have those set into a 18ct white gold band to match my engagement ring.

So actually lots of little things there that are all personal to me that you are welcome to pinch if it helps Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is lovely - I filled up reading this, what a lovely idea.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'll be wearing my grandma's earrings and hopefully my Nana's ring (although her fingers were massive so I may end up having to attach it to the bouquet instead). I do already have my grandparents' initials tattooed on my arm though, so they're always with me in a sense!

• M
    Curious June 2016
    MissWrite ·
    • Hide content

Reserve a seat by leaving a white rose on a chair on the front row at the wedding ceremony x

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Little_MrsA2B ·
    • Hide content

Wow, so many replies and such wonderful ideas. Thank you so much.

I love the idea of the bouquet frames. I'm thinking perhaps I could add those to my BM's (H2B's sister) bouquet so that she is there with her.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions, things in there I hadn't thought of so that's brilliant. I'll need to chat it over with H2B's family and see what they'd like to do.

You are all so brilliant! Thanks again Smiley smile

• Shelly70
    Beginner July 2016
    Shelly70 ·
    • Hide content

We will be missing 4 loved ones on our wedding day. We will be remembering them by placing photos of them in mini frames and placing them on our cake table around our cake.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics