Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Hoop or no hoop?

4 April, 2013 at 14:57 Posted on Planning 0 26

Had my first dress fitting the other day and other than a slight meltdown that it keeps slipping down I do still love my dress!! My seamstress assures me it will be fine once she's altered it but i'm a natural worrier! Anyway this is me in the sample with no hoop then in my dress with a large hoop. I liked walking with the hoop but actually comparing the two pictures i'm not so sure now. Opinions please? Also does it look too low on my bust in the second picture?

Thanks ?

26 replies

Latest activity by *Pugsley*, 12 April, 2013 at 13:49
  • minimorecambe
    Beginner August 2013
    minimorecambe ·
    • Hide content

Definitely with hoop

• FlickAndZeb
    Beginner September 2013
    FlickAndZeb ·
    • Hide content

Hiya
    Can you get hold of a netting underskirt instead of a hoop? I think it needs the extra volume without it looking so structured in a hoop. I love how natural it looks in the first photo but it definitely enhances the shape (of yourself and the dress) in the second. And I think it does look a lil low when comparing both images but without the first photo to look at, the dress sits fine Smiley smile xXx

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

With hoop.

The top half looks like it fits you better on the first picture but that could just be the angle? You're very slim and it seems like if you lifted your arms up, you might lift right out ?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think with the hoop.

I do think the bodice looks a little low?

• S
    Beginner April 2013
    Sarald ·
    • Hide content

Hi Hun Smiley smile

hoop Smiley smile 100% also I have this problem with mine slipping, my seamstress has sewn a strapless bra into it ( just the front, no back... She cut it) it's worked a treatSmiley winking

you look stunning by the way and its defo the dress for you.. But use the hoop x

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I know this will sound really daft as it sounds like one of those things brides just 'know' about but which brides/which kind of dresses need a hoop?

I always hear about people trying them but at none of my trying on sessions or ordering my dress did anyone in the shop mention trying one on or that I might need one?

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely with hoop!

also, I wouldn't panic about it slipping. These seamstresses are very very clever. They will make it perfect for you to counteract the slipping, just don't lose weight the week before!

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Well I'm going to be the odd one out and say no hoop... looks very Grace Kelly without the hoop.

• Cecdesigner
    Beginner August 2014
    Cecdesigner ·
    • Hide content

Im going to be controversial. I tried dresses on with and without hoops. And i actually prefer the dress without the hoop.

I like the way the dress naturally falls and complements your/any figure. But thats my personal opinion. I think the dress is lovely with or without. It certainly looks fuller and more princess like

My mum is a seams-misstress and is always barking at me to trust her. Its up to you- if you dont feel confortable in the dress say so. they wont be offended- at the end of the day YOU are paying them to make the dress look even better and more flattering for you. trust them and speak up if your unsure. if its not what you want when the alteration is complete you can still make changes.

Sorry to be controversial. Its just my opinion. Smiley smile

You look stunning ?

• B
    Beginner June 2014
    Babbo ·
    • Hide content

With the hoop ;-)

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    morristobe ·
    • Hide content

100% with the hoop x

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

When I was trying on dresses they advises having a hoop with any with a big skirt as it makes it much easier to walk. I did try one with a similar skirt to yours without a hoop and taking more than a couple of steps and it was twisting round my legs! You can get adjustable hoops so the dress is off your legs but not sticking miles out, then you can play about with the size until you've got the look you want.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I prefer it without the hoop, it looks more swishy and natural. Actually the skirt without the hoop sits very much like mine did (pics in report in my sig) and, depending on your style of wedding and photos you want, may be more versatile. I had fun with my skirt, hitching it up, letting it flow out behind me as I walked, etc. It wasn't hard to walk in either, I had to kick it out a little as I walked, but then again, you often need to do that with hooped dresses as well.

• MrsStobe13
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsStobe13 ·
    • Hide content

Consider a no-hoop underskirt. It gives you the exta oomfh without that 'structured' look. My dress also needed a bit extra but with the hoop it actually showed my feet more than I wanted (ankle-length, I wanted just my toes peep from underneath). They're really comfy to sit down in, too. I definitely prefer them over the hooped underskirts!

Hope it helps

MrsStobe13 xx

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Definitely with the hoop, it gives it much better shape.

You could have an underskirt instead, I had one. It gave the dress the same shape but was more comfortable. It's easier to walk if you have a hoop or underskirt anyway.

• K
    Beginner December 2014
    keri-leanne ·
    • Hide content

Definitely with! It shows off the sequin details on the tulle!

PS If you ever want to sell this after your wedding, Please message me, it's my dream dress but is a little out of my budget Smiley sad

Good luck! xxx

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I prefer without hoop but they both look lovely!

I just think it looks more 'floaty' without and a bit more 'princess' with it, so it really depends what look you prefer.

I prefer floaty to princess but you may not! Both look lovely so either is a winner!

• Lola-Belle
    Beginner April 2013
    Lola-Belle ·
    • Hide content

Ive had the exact problem like my dress without hoop but its easier to walk in with!

I went for a prom hoop (smallest one they do) means I can walk but doesnt push the dress out Smiley smile

You look beautiful!!

Good Luck

xx

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I think with a hoop as it'll give the dress a good shape. Also it'll make it easier to walk in.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics