Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lola-Belle
Beginner April 2013

Horse Drawn Carriages - Tacky or Romantic?

Lola-Belle, 3 January, 2012 at 15:51 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi Ladies,

I keep having the same discussion with people, I love all animals horses are one of my particular faves! (I used to be a zoo keeper) so I suppose I have always imagined a horse and carriage, however everyone I speak to seams to pull a face and say egh tacky or maybe before gypsy wedding but not now!

What do you all think do they really have the tacky image im being told about or am I just asking the wrong people!

x

18 replies

Latest activity by Dilly2012, 4 January, 2012 at 20:13
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I wanted a horse and carriage (not a cindarella type thing - just a normal Landau carriage with the big shire horses) but the venue was too far away from the church and the travelling time was too long (average 4 miles an hour ... our venue was 4 miles away!)

I don't think the normal carriages are tacky...

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Not my thing.

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

I think they are nice but I think they take to long to get anywhere!! (i'm a little impatient lol)

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

For a short distance they are fine and make a grand arrival, but I prefer a car.

A pumpkin is tacky but a carriage could be described as romantic.

• J
    Beginner April 2012
    Jules'n'Mark ·
    • Hide content

Romantic! x

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

A normal carriage, not one of those glass pumpkin creations, is quite cute. I was quite tempted, but didn't in the end because OH quite rightly pointed out that nobody would actually see me arrive in it. Plus if it's open top you have to pray that the weather holds out...

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

If you think its romantic then have it ? Don't let others infulence your decision. You'll only regret it.

Though I will put my two-pence worth in and say the pumpkin ones have been ruined by Jordan and the gypsy weddings but the typical carriages, such as those in Central Park, New York are lovely!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Agree with Hayley May, by initial thought was gypsy/Jordan carriage so I'd say tacky. BUT, a normal carriage might be ok.

Would you also have a car incase it rains or gets really windy? I personally wouldnt risk it as my hair/veil & everything would be blown around if the weather was bad. Maybe a closed in carriage like the queen has??

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I'd love a normal carriage, but they tend to be expensive so I couldn't have one. Boo. So if you want one, then have one!

• vebec19862
    Beginner June 2012
    vebec19862 ·
    • Hide content

Depends... romantic for me would be:

Tacky would be

• SecretSquirrel123
    Beginner August 2012
    SecretSquirrel123 ·
    • Hide content

I tried to persuade my OH to let me have a horse and carriage but he refused until he saw one at my friends wedding. Even he thought it was beautiful, so this is the one we're now having. I dont think they look tacky at all (well I hope not!) xx

• Lola-Belle
    Beginner April 2013
    Lola-Belle ·
    • Hide content

Oh i absolutely mean a non pumpkin one exactly like wiltshire bride flashed! (thanks for thatSmiley smile

My parents house is 3.2 miles away from my church so im thinking it may be too far or I am worried about the weather!

Humm may make sure enquires see how this would all work!

Thanks again ladies I will let you know how I get on Smiley smile

x

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

On DTTB, they sometimes travel to a location near to the venue in a normal car/taxi, and then get into the carriage to arrive at the venue

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

I think the traditional one's look lovely & I can totally see why you'd be drawn to them. But I never would for the simple reason that I hate horses! Bizarrely the only animal I don't like! Also....I once saw a bride & groom travel in one & the horse was going to the toilet right in front of them as they trotted along. Now I know nature calls & all that; but I just think I'd not want horse cr@p that close to me on my wedding day. However, as said I don't think the carriages are tacky.

• kyanya
    Beginner June 2013
    kyanya ·
    • Hide content

I think they are gorgeous and very romantic if they are tasteful. I'd love a carriage with dapple grey horses, I've always dreamt about that on my wedding day as horses are a big part of my life.

Seems like they can be difficult to fit in to a wedding day though, especially as ours will probably just be at the one venue. But the photos would be amazing though ❤️

vebec, what company supplies the first one you flashed? I like it a lot, very tasteful Smiley smile

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

Personally not a fan.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Hmm I posted this earlier but seems to have disappeared. I think some are tacky (pale pink, glass pumpkin etc) but others are nice. I had this at my first wedding - a fully enclosed coach with 2 black horses, and loved it:

• Dilly2012
    Beginner August 2012
    Dilly2012 ·
    • Hide content

It's not my thing. Am terrified of horses so not the best idea!! But you have to go with what you want and if you think you'll look back and regret not doing it then go for it!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics