Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Curious July 2022 Cambridgeshire

Hotel before wedding

Lucy, 23 of January of 2022 at 08:18 Posted on Planning 0 5
Hi everyone. I feel like I'm hugely overthinking this, but if you're staying in a hotel the night before getting married, where do you get ready?
My fiancé and I plan to stay in an apart-hotel the weekend of our wedding - we can access our venue from 12 and guests will arrive from 2. I don't think that gives enough time for me to get ready at the venue, but I think I'd feel self-conscious leaving a hotel in a wedding dress. I'm not having bridesmaids so it would be just me and my mum who will help me get ready. I could get hair and makeup done in the hotel and change at the venue, but what do you wear to travel there in that case?

5 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 23 of January of 2022 at 21:12
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Yes you are right 2 hours would not usually be enough time.

I have shot plenty of weddings where the bride has done all the prep at a different location and only finished off and put the dress on at the venue so it would work for you that way.

Brides just wear anything -tracksuit leggings are most practical but make sure your top is a button up one so you do not have to lift anything over your hair. Some I have seen just arrive in jeans and a top but already have the veil in place as it was put in by the hairstylist.

Regardless if you feel self consonous or not leaving the hotel in your dress I don't think its practical for you anyway because you will be arriving 2 hours early and just sitting around in your dress. And you couldn't leave it later because of the chance of bumping into early guest arriving.

• L
    Curious July 2022 Cambridgeshire
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much, that's really helpful! I would feel so much more comfortable going out in something more casual even with hair and makeup done, and I hadn't thought about just being sat round in the dress once at the venue!
    As a photographer, is it common to get 'getting ready' photos done in the hotel before leaving for the venue?
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes it is common for me to get shots at the place of getting ready but the shots only start to look good towards the end of the hair and make up and the dress going on after. But the "money shots" are the ones with the dress so in your case if I were shooting it I would suggest my best place would be to start at the wedding venue and get the shots of you finnishing getting ready there perhaps this would help and give you an idea https://photographybybillhaddon.co.uk/bridal-prep-photography - you see, not many curlers!

• Hide content

Fiona I would say that you stay at the venue with your bridesmaids / sister and the groom stay and get ready at his parents house with an aim to get to the venue at least 1 hour before the ceremony - whereupon he can go through the list of things YOU GAVE HIM Smiley xd that he needs to check in the ceremony/ breakfast room.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Either get ready totally at the hotel and then leave just in time to get to the wedding venue for the start of the service (no need to be self conscious - brides are seen getting into cars to leave for weddings all the time, and it will probably just brighten the day of the people who see you). Or get your hair & makeup done at the hotel and then put on something casual and easy to get out of to travel to the wedding - just make sure you either have a button front top or dress so you don't have to pull anything over your head.

I had to walk my dog before getting ready for the wedding, so I took her out in a cotton shirt & crop trousers and just stayed in that to get my hair done!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics