Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

milna
Beginner May 2009

Hotel rooms for guests?

milna, 31 of October of 2008 at 09:49 Posted on Planning 0 12

Our wedding is in a rural area with one small/medium town nearby. We are expecting 120-130 guests. Quite a few will stay the eveing before and evening of the wedding as they will have travelled a long way. What is the best thing to do about accommodation for guests? Do we just give them a list when we send out wedding invitations (3 months in advance) and let them book their own accomodation? Or should we 'reserve' a few rooms in the more affiordable hotels so that people can ring up the hotel and book those rooms? By reserve I don't mean pay for, but ask for some rooms to be held for the XXX wedding party until, say 2 weeks before the wedding. I am worried that they may struggle to find accommodation ... especially if they dont book until shortly before....

12 replies

Latest activity by Ron, 30 of April of 2024 at 12:53
  • Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

Milna - we have reserved 20 rooms at our hotel, we can only hold these without paying until 2 months prior to the wedding,

We are going to send the hotel info in with our invites (4 months before the wedding) but I have a made a little list of local B&B's which are relatively cheap, I will send this list with the invites, but I am not prepared to reserve rooms anywhere other than our venue as it becomes a bit chaotic other wise. If people want to stay at the B&B then they will have the info, but I am not going to book rooms on their behalf IYSWIM

HTH X

• claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

I wouldnt (and didnt) get bogged down in sorting everyones accommodation. As you said, i just put a list of nearby hotels in the invitations and everyone sorted themselves out.

• AllyDrew
    Beginner May 2007
    AllyDrew ·
    • Hide content

We reserved the whole of a local hotel for our guests, and also included the names and numbers of alternative hotels in the invitation info.

It worked well for us, especially as we were organising a coach to the venue for the guests, so could get it to pick them all up from the same hotel.

• L
    Beginner August 2010
    louisep ·
    • Hide content

We are reserving 15 rooms, thats our family and 3 of our friends, our wedding will be the only one held on that day.

there are only 28 rooms and are charged at £150 per night, we will be putting a slip in with the invites with the number of the hotel or telling the guests to contact us if they want a room.

• milna
    Beginner May 2009
    milna ·
    • Hide content

Just to clarify - this is nto for rooms at our venue (which doesn't have rooms!) - just rooms at the only reasonably priced hotel in the nearest town (which is still £70/night ... but probably slightly cheaper than B&B if there are two of you).

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

You're making more work for yourself if you do. If they want a room they will book it. I would never expect someone to book a room for me especially the bride.

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

I've got 20 rooms reserved for us at the hotel we are getting married in. they'll be prioritised for family. otherwise i'm just going to give people a list of b&b's and other hotels they could stay in.

i'm not paying for anyone's room, nor reserving any others than the 20 we already have in our hotel. like spring said, i wouldn't expect anyone to do it for me as a wedding guest.

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

I'll include a list of hotels/B&Bs etc with the invitation. With the best will in the world, I won't be able to sort everyone out.

I've never been to a wedding where the Bride and Groom have booked the rooms. Although a friend last year had got a deal at a hotel where most people stayed.

Ali x

• bookgirl
    Dedicated June 2007
    bookgirl ·
    • Hide content

I agree that you will be making extra work for yourselves if you book for too many people.

We spoke to a local hotel who had a lovely 1st night suite (our venue didn't have accommodation) and asked them if they could do a deal on the rooms we booked. We then asked family and close friends (ie bridal party) if they wanted a room, for how many nights etc, and booked for them before sending out the invites with accommodation info.

Another friend emailed her friends with a save the date email, sending a list of local hotels, B&Bs and guest houses with phone numbers, so we were able to book before the invites came through.

Both these ways of doing things didn't involve too much work for the B2Bs and ensured close friends/family were sorted for hotels.

• K
    Beginner October 2008
    Kathyw ·
    • Hide content

If you're expecting 120-130 guests then personally i'd say reserve 70-80 hotel rooms

we had 200 guests - i reserved 50 rooms in one hotel and 30 in another - one medium price, and one lower price, so everyone could afford to stay over.

its not making work for yourself becuase its not really time consuming you just call the hotel, book the rooms, give them your card to hold them, then tell all your friends to call up and take a room off your booking, replacing your card details with their own on their individual booking - well that's what we did - and it worked out fine ;-)

i think its nice to look after everyone and get everyone at one or two main hotels then they feel really part of the party!

x x x

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a civil ceremony in a Hotel and what I have decided to do is add accommodation info to my "save the date"' magnets

stating "Rooms are available on" and the telephone number

You have enough to plan wihtout having rooms for your guest hanging over your head love, putting hotel info in with invites is a great idea

• K
    Beginner September 2009
    KarolinaSurrey ·
    • Hide content

Slightly different angle to rooms booking.

My wedding is in Poland and I am not sure if I should be offering (as in paying for) any of my guests accommodation? If so to which ones (the groom's parents, perhaps)?

I am envisaging helping most of the guests with reservations as I am not sure to the level of English of the venue I have booked. Do you think I am being overzealous?

regards,

Karolina

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics