Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Consuela Banana Hammock

House buyers/sellers/anybody else - quick question if I may

Consuela Banana Hammock, 10 August, 2009 at 16:12 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

Just had a phonecall from the Estate Agents asking if our prospective buyers can come around and measure up. We agreed a sale with them two weeks ago and the survey has been completed (which we assume is fine) but as yet we haven't exchanged.

I said no - they're more than welcome to come over once we've exchanged and have a coffee with us but not until then. As far as I'm concerned it's their house once we've exchanged! I was just wondering if I'd been a tad harsh. My reason for saying no was: a) they might change their minds if they saw the house again and it didn't live up to their expectations/wasn't as they remembered; and b) if a certain piece of furniture they have didn't fit, they might also change their minds; and c) they might hurry up and push their solicitors for exchange; d) I didn't want the buyers "driving" the sale - I want to be in control. I know the last reason is a bit cr@p. ?

Just wondered what the kleek thought? I'm happy with the decision I made but wasn't sure what the etiquette was in these circumstances.

10 replies

Latest activity by Naseem, 11 October, 2024 at 11:14
  • WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

Personally Id let them come and measure up. Even I, wouldnt dismiss a house if my precious humungo dining table didnt fit (chances are it wont and it will have to go into storage, Im not getting rid of it)

We asked to view again and measure up when we offered on our house initially, the vendors had no problem and even said we could take pics too. I think youre being a tad harsh and it wouldnt bother me if our buyers wanted more viewings to measure up.

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm... I've been round to measure up both houses I've bought, and welcomed the opportunity to get things ordered in advance, such as kitchens, bathrooms and heating systems, which can take yonks to arrive. When we sold our last house, though, I probably wouldn't have let the buyers around in advance as they were trying to screw us around and be unreasonable at every turn (nearly lost the sale a few times). If they had been nice and normal, though, I probably would have done.

Are your buyers being a PITA? If so, I can see where you're coming from. That said, the fact they've committed a few hundred quid to survey and any mortgage arrangements fees does show willing.

When we last moved we had only 48 hours between exchange and completion, which would have been useless if we'd wanted to measure up in advance.

• emma numbers
    Beginner June 2008
    emma numbers ·
    • Hide content

I think you're being a unreasonable and possibly the buyers will be wondering what's wrong with the house that you doesn't want them to see it again. I doubt they will change their mind about buying it now that they have spent money on the survey and instructed solictiors and as for changing their minds because a piece of furniture doesn't fit, well that's just a bit mad. If this fictional bit of furniture is that important they would have measured up before they offered and had the survey done. They probably just want to meausure up to order curtains/carpets/sofas etc and have another look at the place they are spending shedloads of money on.

Actually, not being able to view the house I am buying would make me reconsider buying it and I've dealt with plenty of house sales that have fallen through after survey because the owners were being difficult.

I saw the photos of your place and if it's still the same I'm sure they will come around and become more confident they have made the right decision to buy it.

• Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

They didn't invest in a full survey - they only had a valuation survey which I must admit really surprised us. The buyers are a bit weird - they've been going into the Estate Agent's office pretty much every day fussing and worrying and asking what's going on. The Agents have had their hands full calming them down!

I did say I thought I was being harsh but as we've agreed a completion date of 1st October, there is definitely plenty of time for them to come around once we've exchanged - and I did say on the phone, the sooner the better! ?

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content

I think that's really harsh to be honest and slightly control freakish (sorry!)

We came to measure up here as we wanted to order furniture. If they are ordering sofas and stuff then it can take a couple of months for them to arrive so it's good to get a head start.

There's comes a point with house buying/selling where you have to chill out and say "what will be will be" you can't control every aspect of the move. They don't need to have a coffee with you, they just need to pop round and measure up a few areas. Meanie!

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, well if they're being OTT and wierd then perhaps its best you sort out exchange first. Even though they can still pull out after exchange, all they do is loose the deposit (albeit a substantial chunk of cash but it can happen) not to make you feel even worse.

I couldnt be dealing with loopy buyers.

• Hide content

Thanks Pooch. <sigh> I should have rung you shouldn't I?! ?

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I'd let them measure up but I wouldn't be inviting them around for coffee. I'm planning on having as little to do with any potential buyers of our property as I can, that's what i'm paying the agent for. I ended up having contact with the person we bought from last time and regretted it, i'm not making that mistake again.

But it's early in the process for us so I may very well end up getting involved. Hope not.

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

If I was the buyer and you wouldn't let me come round and measure up I'd wonder what you were hiding or what you didn't want me to notice. I think you were a tad unreasonable in all honesty, and I would have thought you were slightly loopy saying we could have coffe after we'd exchanged. That would have surprised me.

When we sold our last house the buyers came round a couple of times and when they came round to measure up we just sat out in the garden and gave them free run of the house.

• Hide content

Thanks for all your opinions - duly noted. I think I am being a little anal/loopy but I think I'm happier to keep the buyers at arms length for just a little longer. As I said, we only agreed the sale two weeks ago and as soon as we've signed the contracts and we have a date for exchange, I'd be more than happy to have them over. I'm pretty sure I haven't scared them away. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics