Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sunset21
Beginner

House movers with no savings...

Sunset21, 8 of April of 2009 at 21:06 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

I'm back on the subject I was on yesterday, moving fees. We have zero savings so would have to borrow the extra for moving fees. But, the money would be added on to the mortgage amount which we wouldn't get until the day we exchange - yes?

How have people, who haven't got savings, found the money to pay the moving fees before getting it from the lenders? Or am I the only one that doesn't seem to be able to save?

9 replies

Latest activity by Yousef, 28 of July of 2022 at 08:24
  • barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

Undertaking from the bank to pay should sort it (at least it always used to).

• S
    Beginner December 2006
    SarahR ·
    • Hide content

When we recently moved house we did need to use lots of savings before completion date - £000's in fact.

Solicitors asked for some money up front & fees for searches probably £400? Removal company required £200 deposit & remainder on day of move. Fees to arrange mortgage approx £500 paid as soon as application for mortgage was submitted.

Finally, deposit when contracts were exchanged (2 wks prior to completion) £10K

I'm not sure if we could have avoided paying any of this, depending on how much you are borrowing in relation to house purchase value, you may not be able to add all these fees onto mortgage amount. I guess you'll need savings to pay at least solicitors bill.

HTH.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Hundreds wouldn't be a problem, my parents would let us have it until we moved but I couldn't come up with £10k just like that

• Crypto
    Beginner
    Crypto ·
    • Hide content

Are you selling somewhere? Depending on the relative amounts, you can pass up the desposit your buyer is putting down so you don't need to pay an additional deposit on exchange (this is what we did last time).

I think out solicitiors waited until completion for their fees (though we might have had to pay for the searches).

• M
    Moglie ·
    • Hide content

We are hoping to pay it all with the equity in the house. If we have to pay before we get the equity and it's more than we have in savings then we'll have to credit card it and then pay it back.

• S
    Beginner December 2007
    Sez ·
    • Hide content

Some solictors will allow you to pass the deposit up the chain. However, when we moved recently our vendors were told 2 days before that they had to pay the full deposit and not pass ours up and had to find about 20K.

• mrshwl
    Beginner January 1998
    mrshwl ·
    • Hide content

Up front fees are normally search fees , which are around £150 but it depends on your local authority, survey/valuation fee that goes to the lender (may be around £500 ish depending on the purchase price and type of survey) if you are selling, you may have to pay for a HIP upfront? but that depends on your estate agent.

Your solicitors will normally ask for money on account to cover the search fees, and maybe abit extra.

On completion you would have to pay the solicitor fees, and land registry fee, stamp duty and selling agents fees if applicable, these can all come out of the equity in the house, and the solicitors will sort it all out for you as long as you have advised them to do this.

If you are paying your deposit from the sale of your house, as long as you tell your solicitors this from the start, it shouldnt be an issue, and they will just inform the people your buying from they will get a reduced deposit based on the deposit your buyers are putting down. this is common practice as most people selling and buying dont have additional money as a deposit.

If you have a mortgage broker they should be able to go through your fees with you in detail, or speak to your solicitors.

But you shouldnt have to find more than £1000 upfront fees.

HTH

edited to add, the money from the mortgage isnt normally released until completion, maybe the day before if the solicitors request it in advance. And you would normally have to exchange, passing a deposit up, (your own or from your buyers) 1 to 2 weeks before this. (the gap between exchange and completion will depend though on what is agreed within your chain)

• D
    New York
    David ·
    • Hide content

Hello everyone Does anyone know which skirting board can be chosen in the house? I am currently in the process of repairing my house and I need to find out!

• D
    New York
    David ·
    • Hide content

Hello everyone Does anyone know which skirting board can be chosen in the house? I am currently in the process of repairing my house and I need to find out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics