Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Little Madam
Beginner

How are your bridesmaids getting to church?

Little Madam, 22 March, 2011 at 18:27 Posted on Planning 0 34

As above.

My car company want an extra £210 to take my bridesmaids the 3 mile trip to church and then the 8 miles onto the reception venue.

Would you / have you paid that? If not, how are your bridesmaids getting around?

Sorry - i've done a simular post before, but still stressing over this one!!

Thanks in advance

34 replies

Latest activity by SaSaSi, 23 March, 2011 at 14:07
  • *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

We're gonna do two trips for our BMs then one more for me - using our own transport so that doesn't really help.

The company we were looking at weren't gonna charge as it's not far between the church and Mum's house. If it was a long journey then they would have charged more or recommended using two cars

• M
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsLove ·
    • Hide content

Ou company has quoted £500 and that will collect the groom and groosmen and take them 5 or so miles to the church then come to my Mum's (1/2 a mile away from the church) and pick up the bridesmaids and my Mum. Then we have another 'special' beauford (is that what it is called?!) car to take me and my Dad to church and then to take me and OH to the venue after the mass. I can't remember if the 2nd car is hanging around to take the bridesmaids to the venue...oops I should really find out soon!! haha! If not then the bridesmaids will possibly grab a lift with other family/friends who will be driving up.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

We got 2 vintage cars for £400 (there was no option to only hire one)the second being a 7 seater so our 4 bridesmaids 2 flower girls and my mum will go in that and me and my dad will go in the other one . My OH is just gonna get a lift off his mum in her "normal car!" as we figured as he will be arriving at the church well early there is no need for a special car for him as no-one will see him arriving anyway! This price involves the journey from mums house to church then church to reception. Both about half hour journeys. (I'm rubbish at figuring out miles sorry!! )

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

We have got 2 cars hired so they will go in their own car. It is a lot more but once we looked at how to get parents/BMs/Pageboys to church and from church to venue, it just seemed easier to get another car!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

We've got a 16 seater limo so we have me, OH, 2 BMs, my mum, Best Person, usher, sister & her OH and possibly OH's parents too all going together.

I think I'll auction off all the other seats......

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

We are all heading off in the one car, its a massive 1954 jaguar with a great big bench seat in the back so the four of us will all go together (with one sitting in the front), its very handy we can do that as I dont think we could have stretched to paying out for another car just for 2 bridesmaids!

After the ceremony, H2B and I will head off in the Jaguar and we have hired a 7 seat taxi to take the bridesmaids and some others to the reception venue and that was a really good price Smiley smile

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

The bus? I'l give them thier fare n that.

• RebeccaLou87
    Beginner October 2011
    RebeccaLou87 ·
    • Hide content

We have booked 2 nice silver Mercedes from a taxi firm that my Mum knows and we're paying about 300 for them both for the trips to and from the church/hotel for my 6 BMs and MOB. x

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

Mine have got there own car. i think i paid £700 for the 2 cars. the bridesmaids one is a Royles Royce Phantom

x

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I'm going in MIL2b's car (it's the same colour as the BM's dresses, so matches well!) and the BM's are going in my dad's car which is a nice Jag that incidentally a car hire company quoted us £350 to hire!

• sarahjolley
    Beginner September 2012
    sarahjolley ·
    • Hide content

I have booked a 7 seater and we are all going in that

I couldnt afford 2 cars and want them to have a little luxery

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

I'm asking my uncles to take them. However am stressing as I think I may still need to hire another car or 7 seater for their children. Is anyone else doing this? or are you leaving it to the parents?

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

We did have 2 cars booked- but found out today that the man doing the cars has died- so at the min i duno what will be happening..?

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Me and My bridesmaids are arriving in these bad boys!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a 1960's VW Camper Van , so my bridesmaids are travelling with me, , , ,

xx

• Ibizalovin
    Beginner January 2010
    Ibizalovin ·
    • Hide content

I have an 'ordinary' people carrier to get the BM's to the church, Dad and I will travel in our lovely vintage convertible beetle.

We will then use people carriers to get family to reception while the boy and I get our car...

We only have 1 car for four hours... too expensive otherwise! We will also be renting nice cars (we are getting married in Ibiza so no one will have their own cars) for all three best men so that they can help ferry family and wedding party

This is in addition to a coach to carry guests from wedding to reception

x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

It seems I should probably hire them something, but I am struggling to justify spending £200 for a 5 min (tops!) drive - they could walk it in 10! (Not that I am proposing they do that).

@ Trickers - I raised this same query a while ago and decided on a cab, I wanted a nice blackcab and was going to ask to put some ribbons on, but there is literally nothing in the area that I can find.

Now my Mom saw a lovely wedding at the weekend and is banging on about the bridesmaids having something nice or it "lowering the tone" - saying we've spent lots of money on having everything else just right so I should do this too. The thing is, while we can afford it no probs, I am having difficulty justifying spending that much on a car for a few moments - that's a new coat or a new pair of shoes, or more practically the Dyson hoover I have been banging on about wanting.

What to do, what to do. I know I can get a 10 seater Limo cheaper, but they don't fit my theme at all, and there is no-where for it to park.

• Cheeky_pie
    Beginner August 2011
    Cheeky_pie ·
    • Hide content

We got 2 cars for £400!! So my mum 2 bridesmaids and 3 flowergirls will go in that one and me my dad and my son will all go in the other one!! It has worked out well that 2 of the most important men in my life will be with in the car on the way to the church!!

Why do u not just hire a taxi and ask them to remove their roof sign as most of these are magnetic. In my area quite alot of people use mercs for taxi-ing in!! Even if u could get something like that?? xx

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

Morning,

I have two cars 1 for me and Dad then H2B and another for my mum and 2 Bridesmaids. Our car prices were really good I thought. £500.00 for both and that from my house - church then church - reception.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

See ours would only be £500 for both - I think I am just being tight.

H2b also has a car which means our total spend would be over £700 on cars - gah!

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

We're all going in the same car... hoping to borrow a Merc or something from Mr K's work. I was all up for getting a black cab or a smart taxi as everyone will be inside the church when we rock up!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids are travelling to and from the Church in a convertible 1968 Morris Minor 1000. It's ever so cute!

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

Bearing in mind the church is about a 5 minute walk away, we havent bothered with posh cars. We're having a friend drive us in his car as he always has a nice car whether its a BMW or Merc etc. He'll do the ribbon etc on the front. He'll then come and take my BM's and mum and then come back for me and my dad but as its only a short journey it doesnt matter. From the church to the reception they'll just get lifts with whoever!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

@ CB - That was the car that my Dad learnt to drive in, his driving instructor (an old friend of my Grandad) still has the car now and still drives it around our villiage. They are very cute!

I am a bit annoyed I don't know anyone with a lush car - my friends either have family cars or sporty cars. I have 3 friends with very flash cars - Lotus Elise, AM Vantage and Z4, if I knew one more I could ask each one to drive a bridesmaid to the church, but getting into the first 2 is a nightmare in jeans let alone a full dress.

I think I am going to just book the Daimler - as I am going round in circles and for the sake of £200 it's not worth all this indecision!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you're being tight. Isn't there anyone (family member, friend) who could drive them in their car and pretty it up with ribbon? I would have just hired them a normal taxi to be honest as no-one else will see the car!

We've hired vintage buses for the guests and my BMs are going with everybody else. I wanted to go just me and my dad so he is driving me. I just don't personally see the point in spending hundreds of pounds to transport the bridesmaids... to me it doesn't matter if everyone sees them before the ceremony, it's only ME and MY dress that is meant to be a surprise.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

same here!i cant justify spending £200 plus on a 2minute car journey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have NO idea what we will do ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

See FutureMrsJ - I want them to be there early, perhaps half hour before the wedding starts anyway, and so I don't see the fuss, but honestly my mother is going on and on!

Just requested a quote from an executive hire company from up the road from my parents. Shall wee what they say.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

If that was my mother I'd have turned around by now and said "fine, but you can find the car and pay for it then seeing as I'm not fussed" which usually makes her either back down or agree to organise and pay for whatever it is ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Well, she suggested I ask my Dad... ? Which I am not going to do - he has given us too much already.

@ Flo - I didn't really consider this before either.. If I had, i'd have booked the bigger bridal car, so that in one return trip my car could have taken the bridesmaids then come back for me. Now, that car is booked so I can't swap.

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

OH and my flat and my parents house are both less than 5 minutes walk from the registry office so there was never any question that we'd be hiring cars at £500 lol

OH's workmate (husband of my least favourite High School Maths teacher) has asked if he could drive me and my dad down to the church - he thinks it's an honour? So we happily took him up on the offer.

OH and his BM will walk down, I think they're expecting to be wolf-whistled at looking all good in their kilts lol

Mum, BMs and flower girl will get a local taxi, private hire because they're nicer (read cleaner) should cost no more than £10 for the trip

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Our venue is 25 mins from my parents and as I have 5 bridesmaids (two little three big) I've got them a 7 seater Vianno. The original plan was to hire one limo for all of us, me and Dad included. But my Dad wanted us to go on our own, as is tradition, so I've now hired a Morris convertible (like you, CricketBride!) as he used to own a Morris Traveller. It's my little gift to him on my wedding day ? In total I'm spending £400 on both cars, which isn't too bad I suppose x

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

We're going to go in a normal taxi (well, probably either 2 or a minibus one) Our venue is about half an hour away from our house (I'll be staying at mine and OH's house with the girls, he's off back to his parents for the night) and I'm going to get my hair and make up sorted before we leave and carry my dress, I don't want to have to worry about the taxi being dirty, or getting it all creased from sitting on it on the journey over. Also, there's not really anyway I could get into my entrance position without everyone seeing me anyway so I'd rather have the dress covered up and turn up in my hoodie and jeans ?

He'll probably just get a minibus taxi with his parents, ushers and BM too - no need for fancy cars really in our opinion - the only car I'd want to go in is my own and as we're not staying overnight I don't want to leave her and have to collect her the next day (yes she is my baby and I'd be worried sick about her all day and night LOL)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics