Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

gingeremmie
Beginner May 2016

How can I be sure my wedding isn't going to be naff?

gingeremmie, 28 of February of 2016 at 15:56 Posted on Planning 0 5

We only have a limited budget, I guess I'm starting to feel the fear now. We have 2 pre-school children so v expensive childcare, so we don't have lots of spare cash to save for the wedding.

It's less than 3 months to go. We have the ceremony booked at the local register office then afterwards we're having the reception at a local community centre, it's a new modern building. I'm just worried somehow it's going to be naff Smiley sad

I've got a dress but haven't sorted out alterations. OH hasn't sorted his suits out and now it seems like his brother isn't too keen on being his best man (for the third time - it's OH's 3rd marriage - my first). I've got the kids their flower girl dresses and my sister has a dress already to wear and she's sorted her shoes. I haven't sorted out my shoes or bra or anything.

We haven't got a huge bridal party, there's just me and my sister and the kids. Our fathers have both died so it's just our mums.

We're having a buffet at tea time then planning on cutting up the wedding cake for supper. My mum was going to be making the cake but now she's not so sure as she may be moving house, so I may end up baking it and my sister decorating it, I don't know.

I've booked a photographer, DJ, photobooth, bouncy castle. Friend's husband has a big black BMW so will take me and my sister up to the ceremony, hopefully my Mum will drive the kids up. No idea how OH is getting there as his brother doesn't drive even if he decides to be the best man. I haven't sorted out confetti, do people usually leave it in baskets?

I've got some artificial flowers from the range but I think they are a bit tacky to be a wedding bouquet so I'm not sure about flowers now.

I know I need to sort out cardigans and tights and shoes for the kids, shoes for me, possibly a shawl or something, haven't got a handbag.

There's going to be about 18 kids under age 5 at the reception, how can I made sure they're entertained?

I'm just worried as I've planned it all myself that it's all going to be rubbish. What else should I do?

5 replies

Latest activity by gingeremmie, 29 of February of 2016 at 21:41
  • S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

A wedding is about having the people you love altogether, it isn't about the material things although I do understand that you can find yourself comparing your plans to what others are doing.

Does your dress even need a bra? Mine didn't. You can buy cream shoes everywhere, mine were Rainbow Club and were £30 brand new on eBay (RRP £70). Can you hubby and his brother wear suits they have? If not, M&S do suits for about £79.

If you're nervous about the cake, you could pick up a ready-iced one from M&S or you could abandon the traditional wedding cake and do a selection of desserts instead, perhaps ask some friends to help? Apple pie, lemon meringue pie, Victoria sandwich etc? As a guest, that would be right up my street.

Doing worry about confetti, if guests want it they can bring their own - ours did.

Flowers - if you don't like what you've chosen, go to the supermarket the day before, buy a few bunches, arrange them and get a length of florists ribbon from the florist to tie them together. Hand-tied bouquets with a selection of different colours and flowers look fab.

You can probably get a pashmina for less than a tenner on eBay for yourself if you want something. Look in BHS, Asda, Debenhams for the kids. Do you need a handbag? I had one but I actually didn't need it.

It sounds like you've got loads to entertain the kids, don't worry about it, they will be fine!

Relax, you will have an amazing day.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

We had an extremely low budget and only two guests at our elopement. I think the main thing is to sort your outfits out. Rings we got from Warren James. I got a eBay tiara type headband for a fiver. Didn't wear anything on my head pretty as it was! I had a cream pashmina for evening. Didn't wear that either. Umbrella - you guessed it - didnt use it and left it in the taxi!

No handbag. My lippy wasmin oh pocket I had a few bits in a toiletry bag left in venue in case mi needed it which I didn't.

I think kids will pretty much entertain themselves. Colouring/puzzle books don't hurt. Glow in the dark balloons are a favourite with my grandkids.

As said a British bake off by guests type dessert and a prize for best is always good. How about a naked cake so no icing required and decorated with icing sugar and fruit?

Hand tied bouquet from supermarket flowers or look on eBay for someone selling their bouquet etc.

Cars dont really matter. As long as someone drives your oh to the venue job done.

It won't be naff. It will be a lovely wedding and a room full of people who love you Smiley smile.

Outfits. Feed your guests. You have a photographer which is my main bit. All will be good.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I'm a wedding photographer so attend a lot of weddings. I really think you're worrying too much. You don't need to entertain the kids - 18 will entertain each other. Bubbles are always good and they love those "screamer" balloons if it's fine enough to play outside. Your photographer should also be able to help with the kids by doing a silly photo session with them.

• stephaniealice
    stephaniealice ·
    • Hide content

I second supermarket flowers. I wasn't too fussed about flowers and didn't want to spend a fortune on them, so we went to Tesco and bought some roses. On the morning of my wedding my mum, bridesmaids and I made up our bouquets. Yeah, they weren't pinterest worthy, but they looked pretty and natural (I left the stems long and just wrapped them with ribbon), and I was happy with them. You could also just not have flowers, but many brides like them as it's something to hold if you're a bit nervous.

Cake... ours was homemade. Mum made it, my sister iced it. You could also get a cake from the supermarket pre-iced, or do fairycakes (cupcakes) or a range of deserts.

Try not to worry, though I do understand the last minute panics that come in in the final months! What matters as other forum users have said is that you have your loved ones around you, and that you have a good time. It sounds to me like it'll be fun if you've got a dj, photobooth and bouncy castle - the children will love you for that last one!

For entertainment, print out a load of colouring in sheets and get a few sets of coloured pencils or pens. We did that for our nephews and friends' children and they loved it. You could also get a giant jenga set (big wooden blocks) as children and adults alike will love it or some of those space hopper toys. Ask around to see if friends and family can bring garden toys with them or you can borrow them from somewhere.

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

Like others have said, dont stress about it.

People will come and have a good time and if they dont as long as you do thats all that matters as its your day and no one elses. I tihnk everyone has these thoughts and I know I am but at the back of my mind I know its what WE want and if the guests dont like it then tough!

Dont be hard on yourself. You have a DJ and they are great with the kids as they will just put on some music to get them hyper. If you are really worried, jet get some kids things like colouring books and crayons / balloons etc and have a kids table where they can sit and colour in.

• gingeremmie
    Beginner May 2016
    gingeremmie ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, and you're all so right. Of course the kids will just run round with balloons and chase each other and go on the bouncy castle and it'll all be fine.

My mum has accepted an above-asking price offer on her house so she's offered to pay for our wedding cake and I've just arranged one with someone on facebook that I've admired her photos previously, so that's awesome.

We're having a meeting with the community centre people on Thursday so that should settle some more nerves too.

I'm feeling reassured, thanks everyone, and I think supermarket flowers are a great idea Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics