Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner June 2012

How can I bump my evening guests to day guests tactfully?

Nicalf08, 13 March, 2012 at 10:11 Posted on Planning 0 8

As the title says really, I have two friends who I should have invited to the day but didn't...I think mainly because of cost because I would have to invite their partners and children as well (which also mean hiring an extra event nanny for the ofsted ratios). But looking at the prices again I must have over estimated the costs and so I want to now bump them up but how can I do this in a tactful way...? I thought about giving the reason that if they come to the day they can bring their children whereas they have already said they can't bring them to the evening (the children are 2-3 years and they are travelling down a fair distance). I just wish I'd invited them now but I was being strict at the time because my boyfriend has invited pretty much anyone he's ever been friends with ?

8 replies

Latest activity by Knees, 13 March, 2012 at 12:06
  • K
    Beginner February 2014
    kyla25 ·
    • Hide content

Could you just tell her that youve regretted making them a evening guest ever since u sent out the invites and u would love to make it to the day? Im sure whatever you say she'll be fine with xxx

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you need to think up any clever way of asking. They know they're on the evening list, so they know they didn't make the cut for the day - no secret there. They'll be happy to know that they are top of the evening list.

You can tell them that you've had a further look at your budget and you can now invite them. I guarantee they'll be delighted.

At my sister's wedding, one couple didn't come because their daughter wasn't very well. Another couple who were evening guests were arriving to check in at the hotel around the same time we were arriving after the ceremony. They'd planned to go for a meal and then come back for the evening. My brother in law invited them to join us for the meal and they were really really chuffed.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I did this for a couple of friends who i'd originally invited to the evening. I simply sent them a message to say that we'd been going over our numbers for the day, and we've actually got a few more spaces than we thought at the time of our invites going out, and if they would like to, we'd love to see them on the day.

Every single person we 'promoted' for want of a better phrase, from evening to day guest, were ecstatic at the prospect of coming for the whole day.

• Jonesey
    Beginner June 2012
    Jonesey ·
    • Hide content

We were invited as evening guests only to my friends wedding last year as she only had room for 30 close friends and family for her wedding breakfast but 2 people couldn't make it so she text me the day before asking if we wanted to stay all day for the wedding breakfast too as 2 people couldn't make it and we were chuffed as it meant we got to enjoy a lovely meal, the speeches etc and we didn't have to go home in between the ceremony and evening do.

• E
    Beginner May 2014
    emma*704 ·
    • Hide content

Could you say it was an accident and you meant to invite them to the day but you must have sent out wrong invites?

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, job done! I text them saying the truth about my miscalculations and they both replied saying they'd love to, feel so much better now ?

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content

I would just be honest with them. Most people understand that when it comes to weddings there are always going to be restrictions on numbers/costs, and that while you'd love to invite everyone it's just not possible and you have to make cuts somewhere.

I'm sure they'd be thrilled to be invited to be invited to the day.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Excellent!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics