Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner November 2013

How can we have a non-legal wedding?

KashaUK2000, 13 March, 2013 at 00:44 Posted on Planning 0 2

Here's the situation; I'm in England and my partner is in America, I'll be moving to America so we have to get married in the US.

The plan was just to do the legal part in the US, but have the actual wedding ceremony in the UK for friends and family...however my partners ex-wife won't allow him to take his kids to the UK so we're thinking of making the US marriage a small intimate wedding ceremony for just our little family and then a wedding ceremony and reception for friends and family in the UK. As a non-Christian who doesn't like the impersonal formal tone of registry office weddings it had always been the plan to do the legal part as just a formality then have a personal ceremony as the actual wedding...I'd just not thought it through.

I'm wondering HOW we'd have a wedding ceremony if not the Christian or Registry Office ceremony...we'd rather have some sort of formal ceremony structure than just making it up as we go along, but I have no idea how to achieve this, can anyone suggest anything?

2 replies

Latest activity by S108HAN, 13 March, 2013 at 18:37
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I got married in a boutique restaurant. It was a civil ceremony. It was also glamourous, intimate, cosy, beautiful, relaxed and full of smiles. The ceremony itself provided structure but it was in no way formal.

Have you thought about a humanist ceremony? In the UK, these are legally binding only in Scotland - that means that people in England opting for this do 'the legal bit' beforehand, then the ceremony at a later date. The ceremonies are wonderful, highly personal, designed to be about YOU, rather than generic. Check out the British Humanist website www.bha.org.uk for details. You choose the venue (because it's not a legal ceremony, you can choose ANYWHERE) and then book a local Humanist celebrant to conduct your ceremony.

• K
    Beginner November 2013
    KashaUK2000 ·
    • Hide content

Oh, that's brilliant...see, now I knew there had to be a way to do this - thank you very much! Smiley smile

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

Sort of jealous really, as I thought about having a legal bit with no guests, so that we could have total freedom over the location and content of the ceremony but too many people would be totally offended not to be in on the legal bit.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics