Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

tinks269
Beginner February 2011

How did you meet each other?

tinks269, 10 November, 2010 at 21:08 Posted on Planning 0 32

I know it has been done before but after reading about the proposal stories and getting that happy smiley feeling that goes with all the love. Was just wondering how did you all meet?

I met my OH on Zoosk which is a dating application on facebook and was wondering how many other people met online?

32 replies

Latest activity by ebony_rose, 11 November, 2010 at 13:39
  • N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content

It was my birthday and me and 2 friends went to a Single in London night, thanks to the group on Facebook, then after a few drinks there I fell over and H2B picked me up! And that's that! ?

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

Hi tink,

I met my OH on line also, on a dating site called DirectDating, he was the 1st person I had a date with and same for him also, although I had been on another dating site before this and met a few weirdo!! x

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

I met my OH on a video chat website, I was moaning about how awful it was working as a checkout girl and he joined in and started ranting about how he hated working in a cinema. It turned out his sister lived in the same city so we decided to meet and here we are now!

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

We met online too, but it was years ago (1999) before internet dating really took off so it was in a football chatroom!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We were both totally p*$$ed on a night out on the town!!! ?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Match.com

Been there a few months and about ready to give up as I wasn't getting any decent responses that I really clicked with, and a friend persuaded me to give it another go. There was this one person I'd bookmarked her profile but hadn't had the courage to approach her because I thought she was too good for someone like me, but I thought "well nothing really to lose I guess" and fired off an email.

I got a response the next day, we swapped messages over the next few days then arranged to meet up on the Friday, our "first date" wasn't intentionally so but lasted 12 hours (a river trip in London, then evening meal in Covent Garden) but we ended up going back to St James' park and just sat on a bench for hours talking about anything and everything, and it wasn't like we had only known each other for a week.

It just sorta grew from there really, we let our dating site membership lapse and here we are now a year and a bit later on our way to getting married a week before our 2 year 2 month anniversary.

Incidently, her sister met someone on match too, with the same first name as me, and they got married a few months back.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I had a thing (not a one night stand or anything like that) with my H2B when I was 14. It ended badly and I thought he was the devil for YEARS. I met my ex and had my two gorgeous kids with him and then broke up with him. I met my H2B on a random night out and after spending about two weeks saying nothing could go on between us because I had children he could resist me no more and we ended up going out.

• J
    Beginner November 2011
    JST ·
    • Hide content

On an afternoon out in Leeds. I was completely mullered on rose wine (soz, AJ) and my OH was on a stag do. All the lads were wearing t-shirts their names on and I asked why they'd all come dressed as geography teachers. Oops! Got talking to OH and ended up staying out with him till 5am.

He tells it a slightly different way - says I was the stripper!

• SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content

A friend told the OH about me and suggested he ask me out. He was already going out with someone else at the time! When he ended that relationship he told me friend he didnt want to jump into anything thing after coming out of a long relationship. Then she sent him a few pictures of me...she also put my mobile no in his phone without him knowing. He said he was hooked as soon as he saw my smily face...awwww. We met up within a few days of texting and the rest is history. Smiley smile

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

We met at uni in 2003. I'd been on a night out at the student union during Fresher's week and was walking home with my housemates when two lads were hanging out of their hall's kitchen window as their kebab had arrived. They shouted to us to bring it up to them (kitchen on the first floor) and so we obliged. That was the first time I met him and knew there was something about him...a few days later I saw him again. We'd both taken up jobs at the union nightclub and got to know each other well whilst working there - traveling to and from halls together, late nights at work etc.

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

We met online too - about 6 years ago so I was about 14 lol. he wasnt much older. But we lost touch and a year later we met in town during nights out - and then after realised we already knew each other Smiley smile.

Been together for 2 years now and engaged since july Smiley smile.

x

• jenny18/11/11
    Rockstar November 2011
    jenny18/11/11 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, this is probably a bit long winded for what it is, but here goes:

We met back in 1997, two months into my first year (his third) at Uni. It was a three-legged pub crawl organised by the Irish society. I was talking to him and one of his friends in the first bar, but he seemed a bit aloof, initially thought it was because he was one of those people who got a bit snotty about talking to Freshers - turns out his friends (who ran the society) had dragged him along at short notice when he hadn't really wanted to come. In the second bar we went to MTV was playing in the background, and I noticed him watching the TV quite intently when the video for "Paranoid Android" came on, so I mentioned that I had been to the Radiohead gig that had been in Cardiff the previous Saturday and asked what music he was into. We got chatting, ended up being tied together for the journey to the next pub, started talking about what movies we were into, what films we had seen recently etc, so he asked me if I wanted to go see a film on the weekend. This was a Thursday evening, we spent all of Friday e-mailing each other in between lectures, had our first date the next day, and have been inseparable ever since?

• sarahjolley
    Beginner September 2012
    sarahjolley ·
    • Hide content

We both worked in the Police together

I thought he was super arrogant and its only when he left to work in a dafferent department that we all went on his leaving do and we got together

I moved into his straight away and then a year later was pregnant

That was 6 years ago ?

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

OH was staying in student digs with one of my co workers. I went to see my co worker and ended up sitting in the kitchen with OH all night on plastic garden chairs (typical student furniture) talking a lot of rubbish, he then decided to text me (whilst i was still in the kitchen with him) the worse ever pick up line poem (i can't possibly repeat on here) and that was it!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Wow - there is lots of internet couples on here! I don't know any in my "real" life.

Me and Jack met in my fave bar! I went out with my girlies to celebrate end of exams and as mentioned in my Hen do post, the girls drink way to much and encourage everyone else to do the same.. So along comes me who can barely handle myself after 2 vodka's and I ended up a little tispy (for me) and in that good stage where you have more confidence than you usually would..

..my feet were hurting so i'd sat down while my best friend danced in front of me & the others had vanished. Then a kind of space cleared around my OH and I saw his cheeky little smile through everyone. He called me over to him (usually, in my non-tipsy state i'd have declined) but I went over, and asked if he knew me and he was being very friendly and I was scared he may work for one of my clients. But he said "Kiss me and you'll find out" and I did.. Ooops!

We both went to find one of the missing girls, who we found kissing Jack's friend in the smoking area, a few hours later we all went home together and partied all night, before kicking them out at 7am so we could go for a wetherspoons breakfast (in sunglasses as I looked s rough with the no sleep / booze combo we had going on!)

He then text me a few hours later and we were inseperable since! Smiley smile

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

We met about 20 years ago as we lived in the same village and hung around together. I moved away at 17 and we lost touch then he contacted me on facebook a couple of years ago but I was with someone. Fast forward to January this year and I moved to the city he lived in; he messaged me again suggesting we go out for a beer and after a couple of dates I was smitten.

I kick myself for all those 'wasted' years x

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

We met at school in 2001. I was 16, he was 17, and he kept asking me to go out with him. I was shy and sworn off boys at the time due to heart break - such drama at that age! I eventually agreed, and we went to see the Moulin Rouge. I remember that he was so nervous (probably due to me and my friend ranting at school about boys) that it took him about an hour to move his hand to my knee during the film! We have been together ever since, and the rest, as they say, is history......

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Awwww, Trickers, same as us!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Loads of internet couples here! I only know of one couple in real life.

I met mine through some friends. I was due to go the cricket at the Oval with a delightful chum of mine. We were meeting some other friends there and had all compiled some bumper picnics so we could feast throughout the day.

After being there for several hours, play was called off for the day due to the terrible weather. We decided that our mammoth picnics were simply too good to waste so we'd go back to her house to eat them. When we got there, we realised just how much food there was so her flatmate called some of his friends and, as their cricket game had also been called off due to bad weather, there were able to come over.

In walked Mr CB and another couple of chaps. We'd met a couple of times before but this was when I was undergoing treatment so wasn't at my best. Ours eyes met across a lounge picnic of cold meats and cheese. When I left a couple of hours later, I realised that I'd not spoken to anyone else in that time! As I left, he suggested we go for drinks and we fixed a date for the following Friday.

The following Friday came around and I was really looking forward to our 'non-date'. I'd recently broken up with someone horrible so I was adamant that it was drinks, not a date! It was the final day of my Jury Service and we'd just finished for the day. I was on the 'phone to my then boss and had my handbag on the ledge behind me. As I finished on the 'phone, I turned to realise some little sh!tbag had stolen my bag. From the Court! Bluddy criminals!

I was gutted but tankfully had my keys and travel card in my jacket and had been on my mobile. My purse had gone. I hate not to be able to pay my own way so sent Mr CB a text to explain what had happened and that we'd have to rearrange. He texted back to say that cancelling was ridiculous and I ought to at least meet him for a medicinal G&T for the shock - his treat.

We met under the Millenium Bridge (our first Bridge!) and it was a beautiful day. We pottered along to a bar. I wasn't sure if I wanted a Pimms to make the most of the sunshine or a G&T. He came back with one of each drink for both of us! He told me at the time is was because the queue to the bar was huge (but months later he told me it was because he knew it'd make me smile!). We had a great time chatting and I remember him telling me it was so good to see me well as I'd got my sparkle back!

He suggested we go for dinner. I declined on the basis I had no money but he insisted. It was just a perfect 'non' date.

I've realised the weather and bridges have played key parts in our relationship!

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

I moved down to London to start my PhD and joined the uni scuba diving club as I'd learnt to dive as an undergrad and wanted to carry it on. Went to a few pool sessions and had seen this good looking guy a few times. Then one weekend we went on a dive trip to do some training. It was in the UK and was COLD. I had to do a "mask removal" drill, which involves filling you mask with water, then emptying it by blowing through your nose.......cold water......blowing through your nose.......

I got out of the water and went to sit down next to the good looking one.....he turned to me.....smiled a beautiful smile........and said.......................................................................................................................................................

"You've got snot on your face"

The rest is history, its our two year anniversary on Saturday and less than 6 months till the big day....good ol snot!!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Another couple here who met at school - only I was a sixth former and H was a trainee teacher on his first day!

In a random twist of fate, his old IT teacher had moved to my school and phoned him out of the blue to offer him a job. His first day there was my first day doing an "enrichment" lesson with her so the two of us got thrown together. I told my mum on the day I met him that I'd met the man I was going to marry!

Anyway, nothing happened whilst we were both at the school. He decided teaching wasn't for him and took a job up in the smoke and we just kept in sporadic touch until just over 6 years ago when we started hitting the town together. We used to stay at each others parents houses when we went out in our respective towns. One night my sister also stayed at my parents (we were all out for my birthday) so there was no spare bed and he ended up sharing my double with me - still nothing happened! Fast forward a couple of weeks and he's staying at mine again, my mum comments that she 'can't be bothered making the spare bed up' so he was to stay in with me again. Anyway, we had our first kiss that night. Nothing else happened and it's so awkward to wake up next to someone you've been friends with for years and then kissed!

Next Friday will be 6 years since that first kiss and I proved to be right with what I told my mum, I did marry him - even if it did take nearly 9 years to do it!

• SusieWong
    Beginner September 2011
    SusieWong ·
    • Hide content

Awwww what a lovely post, i met my h2b on plentyoffish! in feb this year!! we both knew from the very first nerve racking date (which by the way i got totally hammerd on!) tht we were made for each other.xxx

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

kind of, by accident!! feels like ive told this story a million tims, but still makes me giggle!!

He poked me on facebook, i thought he was this guy id had a crush on at school(same name, looked similar!) so the flirting (heavily on my part loL) begins, few messages swapped via bookface...week later he adds me as a friend, im like ''buggertits, this isnt who i thought it was'' and by then hed asked me on a date...we we go for our date, he wears a HIDEOUS red cardiagn so it puts me right off!! nice date, just couldnt get over it lol

I go on holidays with my mate, when i arrive back hes there with flowers and tickets to see the new sex and the city movie...and no red cardi Smiley smile

It took me a year to tell him he was already dumped before our second date cos of the hideousness cardigan lol

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Through mutual friends. I wasnt long coming out of a long term relationship & was quite fragile. I thought he was rude to me on a night out so I decided to ignore him! I refused to speak to him for 6 months & considering I seen him most weekends you can imagine what that was like! But one tipsy night we got talking and I soon realised he was a wind up merchant & that he hadnt been rude at all! We were casual for a few months & then it developed into full blown relationship. After a year of being serious we got engaged...and yes his wind ups still annoy me sometimes! xx

• helsbels35
    Beginner
    helsbels35 ·
    • Hide content

We were both at school and worked together, he was 18 and I was 17 at the time - he used to ask me to cover his shifts at work all the time and then finally at a works leaving party about 8 months or so afer we met, we chatted all night and I knew I fancied him but just didnt do anything about it and then he leaned in and kissed me - as they say rest is history! weve gone through 2 years long distance together, then 1 year properly living together, 4 months in the falklands apart and now back to living together for the last 18 months when hes home from work - a long 6 years in terms of travelling and commitement but all worth it!!! ?

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

We met ballroom dancing but were friends for a few years before we got together as a couple, I was engaged to another guy before - who was a useless workaholic waste of space and h2b was always supporting me and wiping away the tears. Had a moment of clarity and ditched the waste of space and h2b and i subsequently got together

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

He worked at the 24 hour garage on the outskirts of town, me and my old flatmate used to go there late at night to get munchies and drinks. We'd end up staying for hours chatting to him and one night my car wouldn't start as I'd left the interior light on so we walked the couple of miles to go and buy some scampi fries. One night when my old flatmate went to the edge of the forecourt of the petrol station to answer a phonecall, he passed me a piece of unprinted till roll with his number on and had wrote "Fat Rob" on it, he's not even fat lol. I thought he was giving it me to give to my flatmate at the time but he said "Just give me a text sometime if you want".. I was like "Oh me!" so text him that night when we went home.. Text a bit more, met up (At the garage on his night off of all places, he came back to mine for a bit, we chatted whilst my flatmate was asleep on the sofa then he went home.. Nothing had happened).

Our first kiss was when I was hungover from going out, he came round my old flat at 7:15am (Apparently I'd text him whilst drunk and told him he must!!) after his shift finished and I was wrapped in my duvet with pink cow pyjamas on looking a complete mess! Must have made some sort of impression cos we've been together ever since, got our first house after 8 months and we get married in just over a year.

I still have the bit of paper with his number on that he gave me in our memory box ?

• justpeachy81
    Beginner October 2011
    justpeachy81 ·
    • Hide content

We met through work. I was seconded to a different city to help with training in a new centre being set up, and he was a new recruit. I was sat with him and his team fr a week to help them, and although we chatted we didn't get to know each other very well. My secondment ended and I went back to Glasgow, he found me on FB and we sent a few emails back and forward for couple of weeks and he decided to come to Glasgow and we'd go a wander round the shops. Nothing happened that day, and a few weeks later we arranged to go to Edinburgh Zoo, and we had our first kiss there ? .

He had already applied for a University about 120 miles away from me, so he travelled every weekend to see me and then after a few months we decided we didn't want to be apart for most of the week, so I moved to be with him.

3.5 years later here we are!

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad to hear internet dating does work. I had a couple of friends who tried who ended up on some terrible dates - one friend (a bloke) had a lady start crying saying she wanted his children!

I met Mr Josie at a local bar where he was playing a gig with his band, we were both in college. I didn't realise he had been on stage when I got talking to him. Nothing happened, but I knew I liked him as we giggled about Monty Python things... a couple of days later it was New Years Eve and we ended up at the same party. I made my move and got in there for a kiss. He took my number but never tx me as he heard from someone else I didn't like him (some random at the party who didn't actually know me!). I liked him so much i found out his number, it also turned out he worked in the shop 5 doors from my house so that helped matters. 8 years later here we are ?

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I met my OH on Dating Direct. We chatted online and sent texts for about 3 months before we met in person.

We started "dating" that very day as we realised we both had feelings for each other.

It's all been very intense, and moved quite quickly as we've only been together 9 months, but here we are, up duffed and planning a wedding.

Usually wouldn't move so fast with someone, but after kissing my share of frogs, I knew he was "the one" (i'm actually making myself ?, although that might be morning sickness) He felt the same way as he'd been married before (and technically still is, his divorce should be through on the 22nd of this month) So knew he felt more for me than he ever did his wife (although he's got to say that really, hahaha)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics