Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner December 2014

How did you pick you wedding music?

rambosmum, 23 of October of 2014 at 16:30 Posted on Planning 0 18

I'm walking down the aisle to Wagners wedding march, I never considered anything else but I just wondered what, and how people have chosen their entry and exit music (one friend walked down to I'm a believer, another exited to sweet child of mine) and their first dance? And any other music!

18 replies

Latest activity by Mrs Bass, 24 of October of 2014 at 21:03
  • kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

I did the whole church wedding and traditional wedding March etc when I got married first time round. This time we are in a hotel having a civil ceremony so I wanted something very different to reflect that but didn't know where to start.

I simply went on Youtube and searched for Civil Wedding entrance music....and got loads up. One rainy afternoon I just watched several clips and liked the Piano Guys version of A Thousand Years. We then went onto their own youtube bit and found loads of their stuff we liked.....including, bizarrely, One Direction's "Thats what makes you beautiful" which is a bit of an in-joke for me and H2B. Needless to say, it sounds nothing like One Direction, but is very cleverly done.

So, we are having Piano Guys playing on the way in, and on the way out - A thousand years as I enter the room, and That's what makes you beautiful as we leave.

So far we have got Tom Odell's "Grow old with me" for signing the register. We need one more for that, and then we're done Smiley smile

First dance - Lighthouse Family "High". We just wanted something a little different, have heard it sung live which was amazing, and the words are appropriate. Whether we can choreograph any sort of dance routine to it remains to be seen!!!

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Hmm good question, I wanted to have something to walk down the isle to that means something to my OH, when I said this to him he said he would like it to be something I like, but as much as I like music there is not one particular thing I would pick for this, so he is currently trying to find some instrumental pieces for me (he is a massive music fan)

Exit music, not too sure on that one, not even thought of that one,

The first dance, well, we have got a few ideas, but I am under strict orders to keep them secret, te he he.

I dont think there are any other "places" (if you know what I mean) where you would pick specific music, maybe when you first enter the room as husband and wife. Saying that though, I went to a wedding where the bride told the DJ what to play all night and in what order (I kid you not!)

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

We thought about a string quartet as i liked the idea, and when i saw the repertoire of one group i booked them immediately as they had all the songs which mean stuff to me and us over the years. So i'm walking down to Can't help falling in Love (originally by Elvis?) as it's so so beautiful i love it, and i never realised how important the walking down aisle song was until i saw i could have that. Now i can't wait, but i well up just hearing it :s

And amazingly the exit song will be Stardust by Muse, also by string quartet. As years ago this was our song, and was amazed a string quartet would have it! Was meant to be, and also sounds nice and uplifting for the end of a happy ceremony

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

I've put our chosen music on a separate playlist on my ipod, and I never get tired of hearing them when I am driving, or am sitting on the bus. I have also been known to be listening on my ipod as I am walking to the gym, and then not realising that I have slowed my pace to "walking down the aisle" pace.....I think I even once found myself holding an imaginary bouquet as I made my way!

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

Jeez keep making mistakes, I mean starlight by muse. Il get my words out straight one day!

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

We got married at a train staion - so I just had an ipod with a few songs on loop. One of my favourite computer games was Hitman (also I love the movie) so I chose the main music from that to walk in to Smiley laugh most people didn't know what it was from though. I also love the Hannibal movies and had the music from the opera he went to. It's quite funny watching a horror movie and being reminded of our wedding. I also chose a couple of Final Fantasy tunes (another game I like)

We didn't have an evening party - we just cruised on a boat until 9pm so we put together a lot of easy listening background music. My sister did try to put the main Titanic song on it, but I said it might be slightly odd on a boat!

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

@Mrs monkey

My OH is looking at final fantasy (one of his fav games) for the instrumental songs, there have been some lovely ones he's showed me so far, there is 1 in particular he is looking for though, I'm sure as soon as he finds it he'll let me know

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

OH's favourite film as a child (and still one of his favourites now) is Laputa: Castle in the Sky, by Studio Ghibli, and one of our first dates was to see a Studio Ghibli movie at a local cinema, so I'm walking in to Pazu's Fanfare, from Laputa. Then, as we're both a bit geeky, we're exiting to Krobeiniki, also known as the Tetris Theme.

Not sure what we're having during the signing of the register yet, but I know we'll be playing songs from the London Philharmonic Orchestra's Greatest Video Game Music albums and Ocarina music from the Legend of Zelda series during the meal. The first dance will either be Too Good to be True (OH sings it to me sometimes ?) or Itsumo Nando Demo (Always with Me), from Spirited Away (another one of our favourite Studio Ghibli movies). I'm crossing my fingers that the DJ lets us have the Portal theme Still Alive as the last song of the night.

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Saw this and felt I had to comment. If you want the Portal theme (Glados Still Alive) as your last dance then your DJ should play it for you! It's your wedding!!!! Smiley winking

If they say no then book someone else! Smiley smile

Good luck on song choice everyone!

James x

• P
    Beginner September 2014
    parkesy31 ·
    • Hide content

Just to agree with the last post. Go with what you want.....not what everyone else does! Smiley smile

Xx

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am contemplating walking in to this. It was one of my Dad's favourite Elvis tracks & as he won't be with me on the day, it kind of fits. I know I will have to listen to it over & over before the day though or I will be a complete wreck! Are you using the Elvis version or have you found another?

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It'll be an instrumental version as hired a string quartet who will play it. The only cover i've heard aside from the original is one by Michael Buble, which isn't as good. That'd be a lovely tribute for your dad though if so ?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

H chose the music that was playing whilst people arrived as I wouldn't be there, I didn't mind what it was.

I walked up the aisle to Sigur Ros as they are H's favourite band and I wanted to surprise him, plus I thought Starafur was a beautiful piece of music.

We wanted our exit song to be upbeat and as my dad want there, I wanted a Frank Sinatra song as he was a huge fan so we had ' Ive got the world on a string' which we felt was appropriate!

H's band played our first dance which was kinda our song 'Lets stay together'

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm having I Giorni by Ludovico Einaudi played by my son. It's a really pretty piece of music and would mean a lot. Got to get it recorded off his digital piano so I can have it on the Ipod/iPad as he's walking me downthe aisle. I've done most of our thinking for music but every now and then OH has a brill spark and wants something wonderful.

Some of you may recall us loving the Welsh song from Stella when Luke got wed. We love Stella and of course we're getting married in Wales so a song in Welsh seemed perfect. We've found it and downloaded it. It will be played while we sign the register. OH heard the Wannadies You and Me song the other day and wants that when we kiss Smiley smile Exit is Beyond the Sea by Frank Sinatra. OH was in the navy on submarines for 23 years and is heavily drawn to the sea so we thought this was apt - and it's a nice different song.

But we tried to pick things that were right for us and our wedding.

• R
    Beginner October 2015
    Rebeccafcr ·
    • Hide content

How long does the entrance piece of music need to be?

As I think that will determine what I walk down the aisle to.

I have a few songs I like but I don't want them cutting off at a key piece in the song!

xx

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

I've picked the walking down the aisle music - I asked OH if he wanted to know what I was thinking of and he said to keep it as a surprise...ive decided on Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros - I adore that song...we're having a church wedding though and it'd have meant having it on CD - nothing wrong with that at all, but I didnt want to have someone just hit stop or do an awkward fade out so Ive decided to blow some budget and hiring a string trio/quartet to play instead - they'll also then do our hymns, signing the register, playing as people wait for the ceremony etc...

We both love 'God only knows' by the the beach boys, and we dont really have an 'our' song, but 'One Day Like This' by Elbow would be it if we did so they'll be either signing the register or walking out music...

We're not having a first dance - sad face Smiley sad our band will learn a first dance song though so I mgiht request Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran and just sway about on my own at him!!

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That depends on things like how long your aisle is, and how many bridesmaids/flower girls etc are also going to be walking down the aisle before or after you.

When I found my entrance song, there was a particular section of it that I just knew I had to be entering to...it was almost 2 mins into the piece and I didn't know if I would want to be waiting by the door for those 2 mins. By coincidence, H2B had listened to it himself and also thought that I should make an entrance at the same point.....and as a surprise had spent his day off that week editing it to make it a more appropriate length but still incorporating the best bits of the piece.

So, if you find a song/piece of music you like, you can always tinker with it to make it the right length for you/your bridal party/your aisle.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

My entrance music was an acoustic version of Small Black Flowers by the Manics. I had to have a Manics song as I am obsessed with them but couldn't find anything suitable. So OH recorded it for me on his guitar. Such a nice touch.

Our exit music was Happy Together by the Turtles. Not quite sure how we came to choose it but it was perfect for us, a bit retro and the lyrics sum us up.

We signed the register to Nights In White Satin, I love the song and it just had the right sound for a gothic wedding in an old council chamber!

Our first dance was The Reason by Hooberstank. OH chose it, we both loved the song and wanted something a bit rocky. Again the lyrics were perfect for us.

Our last song of the night was Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, OH's choice to dedicate to his brother so very personal and emotional.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

We had the Wannadies as we signed the register/posed for pics along with Stevie wonder, sign, sealed, delivered and a sing by a local band we love. If u can, when u visit ur venue or church, walk up the aisle at the speed you want to go and time it! The song i chose starts slowly then builds up so i had my two flower girls walk uo first then i went up as the music picked up with my bmaids behind me.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics