Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Curious August 2022 Surrey

How did you pick your Bridesmaids?

Sara, 20 of January of 2022 at 14:59 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hello Brides! I would love to know how you picked your Bridesmaids.

First off - I don't have family - sisters, cousins etc that I can ask. I only have my closest female friends, of which there are many! I think I've gotten close by sticking to three:

- Oldest friend

- Friend I see regularly and is really into weddings and design etc. I know she would love to be asked, she has already offered to do my flowers Smiley heart

- Friend I also see regularly, is loads of fun and will have amazing ideas for the Hen etc.

With the latter two I know they would enjoy the planning side of it and wouldn't see any hen planning type responsibilities as a burden. I've been agonising over asking another friend because I love her so much and want her there with me, but I know she would be stressed with the responsibilities rather than seeing it as fun. She can also be quite unreliable, sadly.

I also have another best friend from Australia who has already told me she will come all the way to the UK for the wedding AND hen party, and stay for a month or two to help. So she feels like she deserves an honour somewhere!

I guess what I'm asking is, how do I keep my Bridesmaids group small (i need some people sitting down!) and not offend the others? I want all of my best friends to feel part of it, if you get what I mean. I know I can't be the only person who has felt this way, so any suggestions, how to handle it would be most appreciated.

Thanks xx

7 replies

Latest activity by Sara, 21 of January of 2022 at 09:13
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 Online ·
    • Hide content

I would stick to the three. It sounds as if they are your 'want to have' bridesmaids and the other two are ones you feel you 'ought' to have.

If you feel bad about not including the other two, I would suggest you get them to do something else. Perhaps one of them could do a reading and the other could be one of the witnesses?

As for your Australian friend feeling she 'deserves an honour' - true friends will be offering what support they can at your wedding without thinking what's in it for them. If that's her attitude, then she doesn't sound like that good a friend anyway. But if she is keen to get involved with the wedding prep, then you can always include a special thank you to her in one of the speeches.

• Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this - I think three is a nice number and you have some really strong gut instincts there. Witnessing is definitely an honour, or offer them the opportunity to do a speech (this is what we're going to suggest to FSIL who's not making the bridesmaid cut). I definitely wouldn't go for someone unreliable in your bride tribe as that will just stress you out and you don't need that! Being invited to the hen do is a huge deal as well I think, regardless of whether you are a bridesmaid Smiley smile

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

I totally agree with the above, have the three and the other 2 can be witness or do reading. It feels like you are doing it more to please them, which you don't need to, they are your friends and am sure wont expect to have a role, they just want to be there for you and share your big day.

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Omg I totally wrote that wrong. I think she deserves a role rather than she thinks she does

😂🤦🏻‍♀️ - Yeah I just want to honour her effort somewhere. I have family saying they "might" be able to make it but this friend has said without hesitating that she'll be there for all of it. I want to celebrate her a bit for that (and everything she does). But yes you are right - there are other ways to do that outside of being a bridesmaid. Thanks Smiley smile x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 Online ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, ok, that makes more sense - I totally get that. I didn't have bridesmaids, but I did want to honour my best friends, so picked one as a witness and asked the other, who is a talented musician, if she would like to play something at our wedding. I'd asked the other two to do readings, but they weren't able to come due to Covid (they live abroad now), which kind of worked out well (although I was gutted they couldn't be there) because we werent allowed to have readings either due to Covid!!! So 4 roles and 4 girls dropped to 2 roles and 2 girls - result!

I would ask the Australian friend to be a witness, since I think that is an even more important role than bridesmaid in some ways. And include both her and the other friend in your thank you speeches (and also give them a small gift if you are giving thank you gifts to your bridesmaids etc publicly)

• MrsW
    Dedicated May 2022 South West London
    MrsW ·
    • Hide content
    Honestly I was pretty cut throat in choosing mine. I guess it depends on your interpretation of the role. From my perspective, it's a lot more than wearing a pretty dress to announce to the world that we are close, particularly when I'm paying for their dress, hair and makeup. I chose two, based on how useful I thought they would be and what they would bring to the day. One because she is super organised and loves getting into the detail of things so will spot and fix things on the day without a fuss (or even my knowing!), the other because she is an amazing hostess so will make my guests feel welcome and make sure that I stop stressing and don't forget to have fun on the day.
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh I love your approach! Takes all the emotion out of it. It IS a responsibility so I want to hand that to the right people! Thank you for your reply Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics