Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner April 2015

How did you pick your bridesmaids? Not sure about whether to ask one or not!

a-cheap-date, 25 of October of 2014 at 13:31 Posted on Planning 0 2

I don't know whether to ask one of my friends as a bridesmaid and so would like some advice!

I feel a bit of a loser in that I don't have a "best friend" that I call about everything, but a few really close friends. It's the kind where we don't have to see/speak to each other every week but it's always the same when we do.

I selected my oldest two friends from back home (they live near Brighton and I live near Manchester now). We don't talk all the time but they are really close friends and I'm a bridesmaid for them too. I also asked my close friend who is up here. It's a bit weird in that I wasn't her bridesmaid a couple of years ago (she had her two high school friends and her sister) but I did her reading, was made to feel involved in the day (I was selected to get up for some entertainment thing) and went to her BBQ for close friends / family only the next day and even then stayed over after. I count her as a close friend, who I've known since childhood (before I then moved south before coming back up north for uni). I wanted someone close and nearby, but when asked I did feel a little like she was shocked. She has been good since and got involved with the hen party planning. I also asked my fiance's sister-in-law - I felt a bit obliged to as I was her bridesmaid - despite being a replacement, I was kind of told by his mum that I should. We got close in the lead up to her wedding but we haven't stayed as close.

I have a friend from university that I lived with and was very close to in my final year. Whenever she came back home we always meet up and we did text/call every so often but not all the time. She didn't call me in the crisis when she split with her boyfriend, but I went straight down to see her when I heard. I was invited to her sister's hen party (I think as one of her close friends and because I have got to know her family quite well through staying over) and I was so excited when she came back up. She has said drunkenly that she only has a few close friends like me where it's always like old times as soon as you see each other, even if it's been a while. We know each other's highs and lows and we always have such a laugh together when we meet up. She did seem to be like, so who are your bridesmaids when we did meet up last and I think (though am not certain) she sounded a bit down when it was apparent I'd asked some already.

Bottom line is, I would love her to be there on the day. She'll be enthusiastic, fun and make the whole morning really positive and we'll be friends for years to come. However, it's one of those situations where I'm not 100% sure if she will be really happy or be thinking I wouldn't ask you to be mine. If she wasn't a bridesmaid she would definitely be my first choice for a reading. However, when I was a bridesmaid at my friend's, she had her six bridesmaids around the night before and the whole night and morning together was such a lovely experience, it made me realise I would love my friend there.

BUT...I don't want to look like a loser!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 replies

Latest activity by a-cheap-date, 28 of October of 2014 at 11:24
  • Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you will look like a loser asking her at all. I don't expect to be any of my bridesmaids bridesmaid (except one who I have been for) just because I asked them. I have chosen my bridesmaids based on the fact they are the people that have seen me at my lowest and were still there to give me a hug so wedding blues should be a breeze for them to cope with haha, they are the people that make me feel good about myself and the people I know would do anything I ask within reason of course! Your bridesmaids can do as little or as much as you would like them to and in all honesty it sounds to me like u would regret it if you didn't ask her x

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

If you want them then go for it ?

Not all my bridesmaids seem an obvious choice - I have 5 close friends from uni but only wanted 3 bridesmaids so only picked one who I had promised three years prior. One of my friends from Scotland told me she didn't think she would make our wedding if we got married in England so didn't count her in before I asked - shes now coming to the wedding and forgets saying this!

My other two are a friend in France, I really wanted her to be at the wedding and she provided me with loads of support when me and the OH got together, my final one is my friends wife (she's also my friend) she's so much fun I love their kids to bits and she's great. So all my bridesmaids are far apart but we are all going on holiday to Vietnam together!

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    a-cheap-date ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys. I ended up asking her, but rather drunkenly (oops!). I think she's chuffed to be asked but can't work out if shocked or not. She did say she was discussing with her boyfriend who her bridesmaids would be and I came up but not sure if just saying that!! At the end of the day, I have to remember I want her there and sod it what people say or think...though as a massive worrier that's easier said than done!

I think the stress of the wedding being just less than six months out is starting to get to me now. It's the politics of things I hate, because I worry way too much what people think and trying to keep them happy!

I'm just trying to remember that on the day people who love you won't be judging you and that the most important thing is that I am getting married to the man of my dreams! Thank God we've got the honeymoon straight after - think I'll need it! We're actually going to Vietnam for ours!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics