Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

~Peanut~
Beginner December 2012

How did your grandparents meet?

~Peanut~, 28 of May of 2014 at 18:22 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

My grandma was having an affair with a married man (?) and was in the pub with her friends. My grandad walked in with a mutual friend and asked "who's that girl?" Apparently he then decided there and then she was the woman he was going to marry, but I take that with a pinch of salt... They arranged to meet up, but neither of them actually turned up, so the mutual friend went to both of them telling them how disappointed each of them was that the other didn't show up! So they arranged another date, actually showed up, my grandma dumped the married man and they were married for over 50 years.

My grandma's cousin was in a Nazi concentration camp and married one of the soliders who liberated the camp, they got engaged 3 days after they met, which I think is the best story ever. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1399803/Gas-chamber-survivor-found-love.html

9 replies

Latest activity by cymruangel, 29 of May of 2014 at 16:48
  • Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

You've got brill stories Peanut!! Love it!

My grandparents on my mum's side met when they worked in the local torpedo factory during the war.

Not sure about the other side at all unfortunately.

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

I have absolutely no idea how they met, I shall be sure to ask when I next see my Nan.

Peanut - that story is amazing, it bought a tear to my eye reading it.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Never met my grandparents on my mums side.

nana told me last summer that my grandad met her at an 'excuse me' dance? Basically he asked her to dance and that was it.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

My paternal grandparents met at university - Grandpa was at UCL but his department got evacuated to Swansea during the war, and Grandma was already studying there. Well, actually she was Vice-President of the Students' Union and spent most of her time on student politics rather than studying (She could only be VP because she was a woman, and apparently the actual President was rubbish), so she actually failed her degree, but they met there anyway. Her parents didn't like him because he was English, but they lasted 55 years until Grandma died, so they must have done something right!

I have no idea about my maternal grandparents; they died before I was born and I know relatively little about them. I think possibly at university as well, but not sure.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I really don't know. I probably should, especially since my dad runs a family history business. Presumably my parents know the stories - my grandparents have all long since passed.

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

Paternal grandparents: my grandfather went out to Burma in the 20s, and ended up working for a bicycle importer. He fell in love with the boss's daughter, they married, and my dad was born in Rangoon in 1940. They fled the Japanese in '41, and spent the war in India, returning to the UK with 3 kids in 1947, after independence. They both passed away long before I was born - I would have loved to hear all their stories of life in the Empire!

Maternal grandparents: my grandmother moved down to Winter Park, FL with her parents, who were both suffering from TB and had been told that the weather would help their illness. While she cared for her dying parents, she enrolled at Rollins University, where my grandfather was a music major and ran an on-campus choir. Granny enrolled in the choir, and my grandfather was smitten! After her mother passed away, he proposed, and they married in 1950. Still married today, and I've never seen two people more in love and dependent on each other, they are the cutest.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Paternal grandparents: Met at a dance in Manchester city centre in the 1940’s. I don’t know any more details than that.

Maternal grandparents: During the 2nd world war my grandma’s brother came back from leave with a friend. Who turned out to be grandad!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I do have a great-uncle who jumped ship whilst in the Navy in the 40s and started a new life in the US. He met my great-aunt there and they both appeared in movies, and he also wrote and illustrated for pulp fiction magazines. Here's a pic of my great-aunt posing for one of his cover paintings:

They had a son who now lives in Philadelphia and who my family traced contact with through my dad's family history research online. My mum and uncle went over there to visit him in 2012. So that's the closest I have to a cool story Smiley smile

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I don't know how they met, but I do know my nonno (granddad) was a POW and he escaped by jumping the wall when out on the daily exercise march. He fled to the UK, settled here, then went back for my nonna and brought her over here.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

Both sets, as far as I am aware, met at old-fashioned tea dances (different dances though).

But Nana, my father's mother, already had another boyfriend and wrote him a "Dear John" letter to get out of it (which we only found out at her 80th birthday last year!) - I clearly take after her!

As a result, Nanny & Grampy (Mum's parents') special song is "Some Enchanted Evening", which always makes me cry when I hear it because, among other things, he arranged for it to be played on Radio Wales for one of their significant anniversaries. They were just shy of Emerald anniversary when Grampy passed, so Nanny bought herself an Emerald ring from the estate. So romantic.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics