Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner July 2023 Suffolk

How do i go about getting married in a church?

Chelsea, 30 of January of 2023 at 09:14 Posted on Planning 0 5
UK based bride tobe, Looking for some advice on a church a wedding, how does the process work? I have a form to fill in from my parish office. Just not sure how it works after I submit it. Do they decide then? There’s nothing on the from asking about weather we are christened. I am not will they ask that at a later date? just not sure what to expects

5 replies

Latest activity by Jeremy, 21 of February of 2023 at 06:41
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Some parishes are more lenient than others so it really depends on your parish. i believe you submit your form and then they will set a meeting and ask those questions and go from there.

• C
    Curious October 2024 Cumbria
    Claire ·
    • Hide content
    I sent our church an email and they got back to me with all the details, we are getting married in a church that isn’t our local parish, but we needed a local connection which was his nana living there and his parents marrying there! Different churches have different rules, so just contact them if you’re not sure, they were really helpful with me ! X
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

As others have said, different churches have different rules. I would ask the church direct.

• K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

Usually to get married in the church you need to have a connection to it. It can vary depending on parish but is usually one of the following: one or both of you were christened in the church, you live in the parish or have lived in the parish at some point in your life, you attend the church regularly. If you don't qualify, you can create the connection by attending church regularly on the lead up to your wedding. Some parishes are more lenient and others may require you start coming to sunday services and do a marriage course with them.

Once you have filled in the initially contact, the vicar would normally contact you to discuss your connection to the church and if you need to make the connection.

If it helps, I am getting married in the church I was christened in and grew up going to. My fiancé is not Christian and has not been christened, but the vicar agreed to marry us based on my connection to the church. It is not the parish I live in, so I also have to have banns read and forms signed by the church in my parish, which I then give to the church I'm marrying in.

If the church is Church of England, there is lots of useful info on the wedding section of their website.

If you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a DM Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner July 2023 Hawaii
    MonicaKeefe ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestion. I will DM you if I want to ask more. Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics