Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner December 2014

How do I tell a friend that she's not a bridesmaid?

WinterBride14, 16 of January of 2014 at 14:32 Posted on Planning 0 14

Ladies, your help would be really great.

My OH & I have been together just over a year, we booked our wedding in October last year for December this year. When my OH & I met, a friend that I have known for 10 years & was pretty close to, started to really flirt with him so much that my OH & I felt extremely uncomfortable when we were all together. At one point she said that he would have gone for her had she met him first.

She now keeps talking about what colour bridesmaid dress she'll be wearing & how she'll make sure I get to the ceremony ok. However, I have already asked another friend that I have known for much longer & who I can & have always been able to rely on....the problem I have is, how do I explain to this other girl that she's not going to be a bridesmaid without upsetting her anymore than I have done by meeting my OH? ?

14 replies

Latest activity by mariannechuaphotography, 17 of January of 2014 at 08:32
  • AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

"Hello person A. Have you met person B? She's my only bridesmaid."

• J
    Beginner August 2014
    JontyDoggle ·
    • Hide content

Um, the person you've just described doesn't sound like a friend to me. So I would be up front and say 'OH and I have decided on only one bridesmaid'. You can always ask her to help with things if she'd like to though...

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Or if you feel kind

"I have chosen person B to be my bridesmaid. I hope you understand I only want one and she is my choice. I could really use your help with X, if you have any good ideas about that?"

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Oooo I have a friend fishing for her invite to be MOH/BM as she has said I will be at her wedding. She asked me to be MOH and then a few later said 'I drunkly asked someone else'

I'm not even inviting her......so this is all going to go down horrendously.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Just show her this lol

I find it weird when people assume things... when you assume you make an ass of u and me

do the bridesmaids things without her and she will catch on that she is not the bridesmaid

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I disagree. I think it is genuinely kinder to tell her straight out that she is not a bridesmaid, rather than leave anything to interpretation.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Yeah i agree with AC. I the type to leave it but the problem never actually goes away, its just gets worse.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

but its not a case of blocking someone out - she made a stupid assumption she had no right to make... its not OPs job to deal with that since she didnt ask her or give her any indication she was going to be a BM

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

Next time she mentions about her BM dress or responsibilities I'd just calmly and kindly say "Sorry, you're not a bridesmaid. We've already decided on X. Hope you understand."

She doesn't sound like much of a close friend any more so surely she knows she's not a bridesmaid and never will be, I expect she's trying to guilt trip you into it and knows exactly which buttons to press to do it!

If she's really still upset you met your OH before she did, then she really needs to re-evaluate her life and move on!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I agree with just telling her, don't leave it just have a calm conversation with her. You don't have to tell her your real reasons if you don't want to just word it how others have said above

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Tell her straight. Next time she mentions it just say that so and so is your only bridesmaid but as she wants to be involved perhaps she can help you with something else.

I think she's a bit of a cow.... but if she wasn't then I'd suggest she does a reading or something.

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

She sounds like a bit of a cow tbh ... Just tell her sorry we've decided on having one bridesmaid x

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    Loobar ·
    • Hide content

She's acted like a bit of a mare actually. I mean what kind of friends suggests that your HTB would go for her instead??

I'd say outright: "I'm sorry X, but I'm only having one bridesmaid."

If she asks why, tell her. Tell her that you thought your current bridesmaid is better suited to the job, tell her you're not comfortable with her in that role, tell her that your plans don't account for two bridesmaids, tell her that you made a pact with your current bridesmaid years ago.

Good luck honey.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Wow she sounds interesting anyway :s I would just say you had decided from the start you only wanted one bridesmaid and that it's X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics