Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Foddette
Beginner March 2010

How do we collect monetary donations from guests? (no gift list)

Foddette, 13 of August of 2009 at 12:41 Posted on Planning 0 21

So I've sent out the invites & reminded more distant relatives that H2B & I have lived together for 2.5 years & so won't be needing bits for a new home but would like money towards refurbishing our kitchen.

How do we go about collecting this from people? Any ideas welcome!

Ta!

21 replies

Latest activity by Lynseys Designs, 18 of August of 2009 at 12:00
  • Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

Unless you've specified otherwise I would guess most would put cheque/vouchers/cash in a card for you and give it on the day. You may want to get a post box type thing to keep them all in one place.

TBH I wouldn't set up any kind of special account as it makes it sounds like you are requesting money from your guests rather than them deciding what and how much to giv eyou.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Just don't ask for the money and people will either put it in a card and give it to you. There isn't anything you need to set up.

We didn't have a gift list and got a mixture of gifts people had picked themselves, cheques, vouchers and cash.

Lx

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

You could always have a money poem in your invitations..... ;-)

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

<Pictures Joanne walking round with a collection bucket>

Don't worry, they will put it in their cards

• Spamboule
    Beginner October 2008
    Spamboule ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

WSS - we were surprised at how many cards had cash in them. We had a post box (the venue said they'd never seen one before) where people put their cards. When we collected them the next day, H & I really enjoyed opening the cards, and were very pleasantly surprised to see cash in some of them

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

My sister wanted money towards a new kitchen for her wedding present, but a lot of guests wanted to buy a 'real' thing rather than give cash.

She sent out a 'gift list' with things like: Cupboard door £45, handle £5 etc and asked them to let my mum know what they wanted to purchase and my mum co-ordinated it all.

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

If your kitchen is at a specific store e.g. B&Q then you could just ask for vouchers for there.

We're sort of having the same issue, even though we've set up a 'gift list' with trailfinders so we can go on an adventure next year, some of the family would rather buy us something for our new house...but we don't need anything and I'd rather have a fab holiday!!

I think we're just telling people...trailfinders or Argos ?, possibly John Lewis too.

• trikebabe
    Beginner September 2009
    trikebabe ·
    • Hide content

We did'nt really need anything either but i printed out a little poem ,

Its your presence and not your presents is the only thing we need, if you feel that way inclined to buy us a gift, Argos or cash would be appreciated.

So we can use the gift vouchers when the sales come around for maybe one large item.

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love that idea!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

I'm with PG on this; we had no gift list and requested vouchers for our impending new home..... we also recieved many actual gifts which was lovely too...

Just wait and see what happens and when people do ask, say you are looking to save up for a few items for your home.....

• diamondsragirlsbestfriend!
    Beginner May 2008
    diamondsragirlsbestfriend! ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have a gift list and didn't ask for anything either! If people asked we said we couldn't take stuff back to New Zealand and left it at that, pretty much everyone gave us money. On the day we had a post box for cards which was good for keeping everything together.

• TheCakeNinja
    TheCakeNinja ·
    • Hide content

Hi , not sure if its any help but weve had so many requests for wishing wells now that we had to set up an independant site as they seem to be getting more popular.

The idea is that you put a little poem inside your invitations and then have a well or postbox on display at your venue for monetary gifts or vouchers.

We have a few poem examples on site as well as lots of examples of recent wells we have made, please feel free to take a look, www.lilypondcards.com and follow the link for wishing wells.

Andrea

• Foddette
    Beginner March 2010
    Foddette ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hehe, thanks Spring... I don't think I'll have to do that (or at least I hope I won't have to!).

Had a thought over the weekend (yes it was lonely), I'm having our budgie as my something blue & she's only allowed on the premises during the ceremony so when she's kicked out of the cage & put into her normal cage we can use it for collecting cards. Genius! ?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of everyone buying a certain item towards your kitchen, but tbh most ppl will probably just put money in your card.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

You're having your budgie as your something blue? er how are you doing that?

as for how you collect your money, just put a postbox in the venue somewhere, people tend to put it in their cards.

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Humm I was wandering... (re: Budgie)

but then I saw your Avator - you two must have a special connection.

Me hopes no cats are invited.....

Can't you have two budgies holding up your train alla Snow White (or is it cinderella?)

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

You lot are out of order. Joanne has spent a long time training her Budgie to swoop in with the rings just at the right minute! Just grow up the lot of you!!

Seriously, is this any worse than people taking their Dogs?

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Spring, I was only making some constructive criticism -

I think its a fair point to consider the presence of Cats (not presents!) and the fact that she could get more of her budgie by teaming it up with another.

I'm going to get my cat a colour - coordinated bow tie - but I think he would be happier staying at home...

xx

PS - Did she really?

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Who said you weren't allowed.

If she teamed up with another Budgie then the original Budgie would have back up so it was a good point made about the Cat!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

[:'(] poor budgie.

?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics