Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

skyrocket
Beginner July 2012

How do you deal with the stragglers?

skyrocket, 4 of March of 2012 at 15:51 Posted on Planning 0 10

So we sent our invites start of Jan and I gave (stupidly) 2 and a half months to RSVP. Way too long and now we have just a week left till deadline and about 12 people still to RSVP.

Of these a couple have said they are coming but haven't sent their cards (which we provided and need for dietry requirements etc) and some just haven't responded at all.

What do we do? How do you go about rounding up the stragglers?

We have other people we would like to invite and are limited on numbers so have to have declines or acceptance so we know where we are at. We def don't want to find ourselves with guests who didn't RSVP but turn up anyway (it has been known to happen) so how do we round them up without harrassing?

I know its our day and not the most important thing on the planet to anyone but us but I think people who can't RSVP in 2 and a half months are pretty rude really. It doesn't take much to say yes or no does it?

10 replies

Latest activity by debs35, 10 of March of 2012 at 08:56
  • sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

We did the same and I regret giving them so long. I just sent them very general text and I've got all my responces now with 2 weeks to go. I just said....hiya, just a quick note to say there is only xxxx till the RSVP deadline. We look forward to receiving your responces shortly.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

I would give people till a bit after the deadline (our deadline was the 29th, and had a big rush of RSVPs after that) I am going to contact those whose RSVPs I haven't had after Monday's post.

I don't think you can really class asking once after an RSVP as harrassment - and you gave them a deadline. The people who contacted me separately to the RSVP card I asked them to send it back anyway (we had provided stamps) so I had a proper record.

I wouldn't feel embarrassed asking once the deadline has gone, you do need the information after all!

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

I definitely think the long deadline was a mistake.

Still lesson learned but how stressful is it waiting?

And how hard is it to say yes or no?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

One of my friends said that his invite is still in his car... It's been in there for nearly 2 months now! I think his rsvp will be late...

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I would wait till the deadline, then call the people who haven't responded just to remind them that you need their responses asap. That is my plan, so hopefully won't sound too bossy or harsh but will encourage people to speed up a little.

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

How long did you give your guests to RSVP Nursebride?

If one of them told me his was still in his car I think that would grate on me! ?

Thing is I have other guests I would like to invite should these ones not be able to come but we can't invite everyone and also I wanted to avoid a situation where people know that they weren't originally invited but on the 'second list' as it were. I don't want to offend anyone and if we could we would invite everyone but we just can't so have to wait for responses before we can act on it.

Very frustrating!

• vebec19862
    Beginner June 2012
    vebec19862 ·
    • Hide content

Eek ive given 2 months! whoops. oh well will give them to the deadline and then chase them up nicely by phone saying i know you said you would come, can you just confirm dietary requirements pls so we can let our venue know Smiley smile most people are scatty about these things, i know i still have an rsvp in my bag which i really must post!! naughty me!

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

You dont have that many who havent replied so i would contact them all personally and ask. The ones who have said yes but not sent the card probably think they have done enough and the others may have forgotten to send the card or not realised how close the deadline is. Either way I would call them and do the are you coming? if so are there any dietary requirements over the phone. That way you know your answer and know if you can invite anyone else. I would not give them past the deadline instead would let them know that others will be invited in their place if you have had not had an answer.

• C
    Beginner November 2011
    Catx1606 ·
    • Hide content

I'd give them a gentle reminder about a week before the deadline and then contact them personallya day or so after the deadline. Let them know that you have other people that will be invited if they can't give you an answer. It's not hard to respond to an invite, some people assume you know that they'll be coming and some people will just keep you hanging on. Once they realise that they might miss out, it might hurry them up in giving you an answer!

Personally I would have got the response back asap especially now tha I'm married ad have had trouble like this.

Good luck!

• Vickydrip
    Beginner July 2012
    Vickydrip ·
    • Hide content

I sent the invites out in JAnuary, and gave people until March 25th to responsd.

We also got menu sorted this week so I have telephoned people that we know are coming to give them the menu, and I have also telephoned some of my family who haven't responded, just to say "hey, just checking that you got the invite and want to leave you the menu, just checking that you are coming?", I know it is earlier than the deadline but I'm so excited.

• D
    Beginner August 2013
    debs35 ·
    • Hide content

I think I would just phone them, just say you need to start collecting the information now as a few havent yet responded and dont tell them you have reserves, they might say yes for the sake of it. Then at least you know where you stand for piece of mind.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics