Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2014

How do you know when you have found THE ONE!! (Wedding Dresses)

camilla89, 9 of April of 2012 at 00:32 Posted on Planning 0 12

My fiance and I will be getting married next year, we have not yet set a date but are giving ourselves atleast 12 months to plan things.

I have already started looking for a dress as I know that they can take a while to find and then months for them to be ordered and then altered.

I have been looking for that last few months and have come across a few that I like a lot but not LOVE, How do you know when you have found THE ONE, do you have any tips when looking for the perfect dress?

xx

12 replies

Latest activity by Vickydrip, 9 of April of 2012 at 19:44
  • samwiches
    Beginner August 2013
    samwiches ·
    • Hide content

I haven't started looking for dresses yet, but I would suggest looking at booking a venue soon to avoid disappointment. Me and my fiance are getting married next August, and in our reception venue was almost fully booked, so we only just managed to get a date in August! We thought we'd be okay because it was nearly 18 months away, but it turns out that's how far in advance some things get booked. Yikes ?

I think as far as dresses go, I think it'd be a case of you would just actually love it. I'm making a list of things that I absolutely want from my dress, a list of things I'm flexible with, and a list of things I absolutely don't want, and doing a lot of research online into different styles and designers, so that when I start looking, I'll have a pretty good idea of what I want and can narrow things down a lot easier - hopefully!

Obviously not the voice of experience here but hopefully I've helped a little, and good luck! ?

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Some people say you know you've found the one when your mum cries. My mum was useless though because she just told me everything looked "lovely".

I bought one of the first dresses I tried on. The first time I tried it I liked it but wasn't sure and wanted to try more styles, so I tried on loads more dresses but kept thinking of that first one at the back of my mind. I was weighing it up against another dress I liked so booked appointments to try the two dresses on the same day. When I tried on that first dress again I loved it so much I didn't bother going to see the second dress again.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Where dress are concerned I don't believe in The One, there are just too many gorgeous ones out there! I chose the first dress I tried on because I loved the skirt, it was different and I didn't want to take it off, it felt really special. I tried on another few dresses but nothing compared to the first one so I went with that. But I had one day to choose a dress, it may have been different if I could have shopped around and taken my time.

• hayleyann
    Beginner May 2013
    hayleyann ·
    • Hide content

I made a scrap book of dresses and everytime i looked threw it one in partiqular just kept jumping out at me, i found stockists and rang up for an appointment. the dress is mine it fits like a dream makes me look so slim ha ha i always thought i didnt want a sticky out princess dress but i absolutly love it and cant wait to wear it. it also helped that there was 10% off in jan too. good luck in finding urs

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

I havent picked my dress yet I keep waiting for that the one moment! I have tried LOADS of dresses on but I Keep going back to one dress ! Good Luck with finding your dress and planning the rest of your wedding!

• *BigBird*
    Beginner April 2013
    *BigBird* ·
    • Hide content

You willl know when you have found 'the one' as no other dress would compare to it. You will just know , honestly!

Try on as many dresses you can, even in stlyes you wouldn't really pick.Try different shops as they will stock different designers, and enjoy yourself Smiley smile

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

I think you know, for me it was a dress that kept catching my eye on a auction site! told OH about it and he said go for it (we had plently of time to get an alterative) so I did it arrived and WOW! I loved it. I also went to a shop just to be sure and I wanted that whole experience tried on 7 dresses one was ok, but it was still the one in my wardrobe!

I think it is a dress you can not get out of your head, it makes you feel like a bride and very very special.

• Hypnopoison
    Beginner September 2012
    Hypnopoison ·
    • Hide content

When I first started looking I found dresses online that I liked. I started shopping locally and although the dresses I tried were lovely, my sister says I kept saying "I don't dislike it". To that she would say "well it's not 'the one' ... Next!

I was under pressure to find my dress quickly as we had agreed at Christmas to bring the wedding forward by a whole year, as both my parents are unwell. I set a date that I ideally needed to find and order my dress by end of Jan/early February this year (wedding Sept 2012, instead of 2013).

I tried some styles that I saw online and they didn't suit me as well as I had thought. I was always dreading wedding dress shopping as I knew that strapless wouldn't suit me (which would rule out about 80% of dresses), but I did try them on as wedding dresses are nothing like normal clothes. Some strapless did suit me but it couldn't be sweet heart neckline or go down at the sides. It Would make me look very broad shouldered. I always thought I would go for a fuller skirted dress, but there seems to be such a stigma attached to bigger skirted dresses these days. But I did try the straighter styles, but they just didn't feel like I was wearing a wedding dress, possibly a lovely charity ball dress but not a wedding dress. I did try an Ellis bridesl dress that I really liked in the shop but afterwards I just kept thinking that it had a tulle skirt and was covered in lace (I really don't like lace or tulle, so although I loved the shape of it, I couldn't get over thinking "urghh it's covered in lace and made from net, so I look like an old pair of net curtains and lace is for old women and I'm only 30!). So I went off that one, but I sort of knew it was 100% right at the time.

Anyway, there was one dress I liked online (from the new Mori Lee 2012 collection), so my sister said I needed to track it down as I wouldn't decide on one until I saw it. I called the designer and only 3 shops in the country had it. So off to Shropshire I went as that was the closest (I live in South Wales, so 5 hr round trip). Well, I refused to look in the mirror when they put it on. When I walked out I was just beaming. I felt amazing. I burst into tears. I knew it was the one. You wedding dress should make you feel like a million dollars and totally fabulous. You should adore it and looking at it. I know I certainly do. So to top of my unusual taste, I ordered it in white rather than ivory as ivory and creams just don't suit me.

Dont be afraid to travel to find the right dress. I had to and I don't regret the 5 hr round trip for fittings at all. The ladies at Shropshire Country Brides are amazing and have really looked after me.

You'll know when you find the one. Don't just make do. This is your wedding dress. The one time in your life when you are supposed to feel amazing. My sister just made do with her wedding dress as she was conscious of her weight and she regrets it. You have to look at those pics for a very long time!

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^^ WSS. ?

• MrsT-tobe
    Beginner June 2013
    MrsT-tobe ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in 15 months. I have been looking for dresses for about two weeks and have tried on about 15 dresses!

So far there has only been one that i have instantly fallen in love with and didn't want to take off. Another came close but it was something that grew with the second where as the first on was instant.

I'm still looking though as the one i love is over budget! Smiley sad

• eeyoring
    Beginner June 2012
    eeyoring ·
    • Hide content

For me it was the one I couldn't stop smiling in. The one I was still thinking and talking about when I was standing in the next one (which i wasn't even looking at) and the one I couldn't bear to leave in the shop incase it wasn't there when I got back. (it was an ex display) The shop owner said if your hands go to a bit of the dress that your not happy with or feel your body doesn't look right in then you will not stand comfortably in it and people looking at you can tell. When its the one people usually hold their games instinctivly as if they are holding flowers or dropped naturally downwards rather than hands to the dress. I think you will be surprised by how different you feel in different dresses. Have fun x

• Vickydrip
    Beginner July 2012
    Vickydrip ·
    • Hide content

My advice would be to get out there and try dresses on. I saw lots and lots when I browsed through magazines that I loved, but when I went to try dresses on I didn't look good in them, they just didn't suit me.

The dress I ended up buyng was picked by an assistant and I dismissed it for being to plain, but when I got it on I knew that this was the one, as I had been nattering away the whole time and I shut right up. When I walked out of the changing area my mum and two best friends were speechless ... that's when I knew I had found the 'one'.

Vic x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics