Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

leni

How do you prefer your cake samples at wedding fairs? Market research

leni, 6 of September of 2012 at 18:49 Posted on Planning 0 15

I run a cake business and have done many many wedding fairs. I used to give out samples on a plate but then started wrapping in cling film and bagging up with a business card and giving out as I spoke to people. Just wondered what you prefer?

On a plate to help yourself?

Bagged up to take away

Other, please say....

This is how I bag them up... Sorry on iPad so can't post a pic

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150100241175232&l=0340fe2fef

15 replies

Latest activity by vintagedreams, 8 of September of 2012 at 19:26
  • missmandymoo
    Beginner August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content

Link doesn't work but I'd say maybe both? If I can taste the cake then and there, I'd know straightaway whether I like it or not, allows me to ask any questions and it would also be nice to have a sample wrapped up to take home for OH to try as I sometimes go to fayres with either my mum or BM.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

It would be quite nice if it was wrapped out well and in a nice branded bag however from a quality perspective I would be concerned that the customer may not end up tasting the cake when its fresh and at its best (if its been shoved and squashed in some ones hand bag and forgotten about for a day or 2).

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I would probably be happy with either, to be honest! Though maybe if you were using anything very soft/icing, it would be better on a plate so it doesn't get squashed. The fact that you are actually offering samples would be a good start; one of my greatest disappointments at the National Wedding show was how few of the beautiful cake stalls were offering samples.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

It would get squashed in my bag then I wouldn't fancy eating it. Probably there and then accompanied by a card

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I never got any samples at fayres I went to! I probably would prefer it there and then, so on a little plate or tissue.

• J
    jules40 ·
    • Hide content

I have mine on long this trays at the front of the stall, with serviettes near by, I used to bag them individually but found people were taking them in large quantities so I stopped doing it.

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

At a wedding fayre i would prefer to be able to taste it there and then however being able to take a smal;l sample away with the business details is also a great idea as it would remind me of which cake it was i tasted.

• Oh So Perfect Weddings and Events
    Oh So Perfect Weddings and Events ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps you could have the plate of samples for passers by, but keep a nice stash of larger samples wrapped up which you can give to potential clients to take away if they have been talking with you and shown a genuine interest in your cakes. Say something like 'Here take this home with you and have another try tonight with a cup of tea/glass of wine etc. My business card is there too so it would be lovely to hear what you think.' Maybe it could even be a different flavour to the regular plate sample so they feel they are being given special treatment for talking to you too?

Hope that helps!

Samantha

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

"Madam, can I interest you in a Vera Wang dress for only £500?"

"NO, WANT CAKE".

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this. How annoying to look at a lovely cake and to be told you can't taste it. BAH!

Cake there and then please.

• A
    Beginner September 2012
    amanda66 ·
    • Hide content

I've never been to a wedding fair but If it was me I would have smaller squares/ pieces of cake on a plate/ platter with little flags in them with a business card and either incorporate a space on the business card where you can make a hand written annotation of what type of cake it is, write the type of cake on the back or design a business card with your details and then the type of cake on the business card.

Amanda x

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's pretty much what I was like! This is probably the reason why I'd never fit in a Vera Wang dress even if I could afford it...

I did go to a Vera Wang sample sale at Selfridge's with my BMs. Not sure if it was terrifying or hilarious overall!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I would prefer to have it there for me to see and munch, then if I liked it I would discuss things a bit more. If I had to be given it in a bag I would just open it and it eat there anyway so it's a bit pointless for me. It would be nice to be given another little taster to take home so if I got a few I could compare them in one go (nom nom nom) instead of speaking to people and wandering round in between.

• missmandymoo
    Beginner August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

VERA WANG DRESS? £500??!!!

Just booked my National Wedding Show ticket! ?

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

Straight into my mouth please!

But in seriousness I think a bit of both as I would want to try before I started discussing but also like some to take home for OH although if it was very yummy cake it might. Not make it home.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics