Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs Bass
Beginner March 2011

How do you stop your yorkshires sticking?

Mrs Bass, 13 of October of 2013 at 19:50 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

The last couple of times I have made yorkshire puds, they have stuck to the bottom of the tin. Not the sides just the bottom.

I always heat up oilin the tin first so its greesed. Is maybe the temp too high? It didn't used to happen and has only happened since ive been using a new oven in our new house

Any tips or suggestions?!

13 replies

Latest activity by Mrs Bass, 14 of October of 2013 at 14:10
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I was always taught that the oil/fat has to be absolutely sizzling hot at the point you put the mixture in.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Aunt Bessie.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. If you don't hear a hiss when you pour the mix into the tins, it will stick.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Its possibly your tin, is it non stick?

You can try rubbing a little oil all over it and just putting the tray in the oven on a very high heat to create a non stick seal, (don't wash the pan afterwards with detergent just wipe it with a clean cloth)

Also if you leave the tins too long soaking in water moisture can be absorbed into the non stick coating effecting the non stick capabilities, in which case fill the tin with salt and put in a hot oven to draw out the moisture.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I wondered if I needed a new tin. In the past they have come out of this tin just fine. I do leave it to soak for a fair bit.

I put oilin and put the tin in the oven for about 10 mins before I put the mixture in.Maybe I need the temp to be higher so the oil is extra hot.

Thank you!

*goes to take tin out of soak*

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I use dripping! It heats to a really high temp - and tastes nice!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Until recently, I have been a dismal failure at homemade Yorkshire puddings. However, my new oven has made it easy, so I suspect this may be playing a part in your recent problems. Different ovens will be ever so slightly different in temperatures, despite what the display says.

Really hot fat is a must - I use veggie-friendly olive oil no problems. When I take the tin out, I put it over a lit gas ring to keep it sizzling. Then pour mixture in.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

By going to my mum's.....

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

It has taken me a while to get used to the new oven, it is probably that and not having it hight enough.

FTLOMB- I will try your tip of putting the tray on the hob whilst puring the mixture in too! thanks!

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

I find you need really hot fat to get the yorkshires to rise, but i use a silicone pan and they come out beautifully every time.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I used a muffin tin and lard (we don't have them very often!).

Stick a bit of lard in the bottom of the tin, whack in the oven until smoking then pour the mixture in. Never stuck for me.

I wondered if you were using olive oil because I know that doesn't heat to a very high temperature or something but Footlong has blown my theory out the water by saying she uses it no problem!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

They rise no problem and I use veg oil.

Im putting it down to the heat!

Will just have to do another batch soon to test the theory!

Don;t judge me but last night i did eat the cold left over ones and the bits off the bottom I could pick off and dunked them in the cold left over gray! Yummy!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics