Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2015

How far are your guests travelling to your wedding?

Sparkle2015, 17 of September of 2013 at 18:59 Posted on Planning 0 24

Just curious really as we have found the perfect venue that we both really love (shock!) Only niggle before we book is the distance. It is a hotel too so the option for people to stay over and we know all the really important people will make the journey. We are more worried about the evening guests not bothering because they'll have to drive or wont want to make the effort. Its also going to be a Thursday. We did consider hiring a coach with a couple of drop off's to encourage people to attend but yet to price this up.

So how far did your guests travel and did you find any problems with it being a bit further away?

24 replies

Latest activity by Jaysmonkey, 18 of September of 2013 at 12:50
  • PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

We have guest travelling from the States... Does this count!

those who want to be there will be there...

But if I'm honest I wouldn't attend an evening reception is it was a distance to travel on a Thursday!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

About a third of our guests came from France, but we were in central London so easy links by way of eurostar/planes etc. However, ours was on the weekend so people could come wiht minimal time of work.

How far is it?

I think anything you can do to help with travel may help, like a pick up to station etc?

Being completely honest, I think I would be unlikely to travel and stay in hotel for just an evening do, particularly if it involved taking afriday off work. If it was a day invite, I probably wouldn't hesitate.

How many coming to the evening?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We have family all over the UK and our wedding was about 180 miles from some of them (not counting the guests from Spain and Canada).

Our wedding was on a Saturday, though, so easier for work etc.

I agree with others that I would be unlikely to travel a long distance for an evening reception.

How far are you talking and when are you thinking for the wedding?

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    Sparkle2015 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone.

Day guests there will be about 60 and a further 40 for the evening. The majority of the extra evening will be coming no more than 15 miles (OH friends) Mine more like 30. I'm going to price up a coach Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner August 2014
    RLB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for asking that, as I'm a little worried about this too. I'm getting married in a hotel about 30 minutes drive out of town, and on a bank holiday Monday. I know the important people will turn up, and day guests should be too much of an issue - but I am considering inviting more evening guests than on my provisional list as I want people dancing and enjoying themselves!

• Akrigg
    Beginner
    Akrigg ·
    • Hide content

Most of our guests will come from Holland.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Our most distant day guests came from Germany, but they flew over and made a holiday of it. The most distant UK guests came from St Andrew's (to Oxford). I think the most travelling anyone did for the evening was about 2 hours, and I was really pleased and touched that several of my friends travelled that far for it!

The furthest I've been for an all-day wedding is the Lake District, which took us about 8 hours each way to and from London due to traffic, accidents etc. We arrived late Friday night and left at Sunday lunchtime and it was quite knackering actually. I think the furthest I'd travel for an evening do would depend on who it was and how close I/we were to them, but certainly don't think that 30 miles is out of the question!

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    Sparkle2015 ·
    • Hide content

OH is worried about lack of numbers too but I can't get it through to him that the important people will be there and they are who matter. He just keeps seeing an empty dance floor!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

A lot of our day time guests are travelling from Scotland, others from Colchester/Basingstoke/Newcastle. Our evening guests will only be travelling around 3 miles. I wouldn't ask evening guests to travel more than maybe 10 miles.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Some of our guest are coming from Ireland but most are coming from all over the south and east of the UK - some we've just invited to the evening and they have a fair travel but there's a train station nearby and a travel lodge down the road so if they'd like to come it's fairly easy to travel or stay over. All of our friends and family are dotted around so wherever we picked would have been travelling for some people so we just chose somewhere we liked!

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

OHs family are local - Swansea. My family are from Devon and Lancaster so a bit of a trek

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

Our venue is a bit out of the way, meaning OH's family have about a 2 hour drive and my family have about 1hr40min drive - they are all staying over, most of them for two nights. We aren't having any separate evening guests due to the travelling distance; I wouldn't expect any of my guests to travel that far for just a few hours.

• R
    Beginner August 2014
    RLB ·
    • Hide content

Another Swansea bride I see! My fiancé is from Surrey, and between us there is family travelling from Surrey, Cambridgeshire, Rutland and Edinburgh. I know of them, at least 16 have already booked cottages for the week of the wedding, so I'm not worried about the day guests travelling - just the evening guests.

• Lucylonglegs
    Beginner March 2014
    Lucylonglegs ·
    • Hide content

My wedding is in Surrey and my family are travelling from Wales Exeter and Cheltenham :-)

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

My best friend is coming from Australia. ? On a more local note, OH's family and a lot of our friends are coming up from Southern England, and my parents side will have 1 hour's drive. As you say, the important people will come.

• Miss Twizz
    Beginner February 2014
    Miss Twizz ·
    • Hide content

We're getting marries in Surrey, I grew up there and most of my family and oldest friends are there although we currently live in Devon and OH originally from Dorset! As many others have said; the most important people from Devon and Dorset (We also have a few important old friends coming from Derby and Bristol!) will make the journey and be there with us. We're also getting married on a Saturday so most are happy to stay in hotels in Surrey and they'll still be home for work etc by Monday

We obviously won't be having the hoards of evening work-friend etc type guests but in all honesty for us that is a plus! We wanted a more intimate wedding with just out nearest and dearest, add to that the budget and it's all good as there are less evening guests to cater for ?

I think the people that really matter to you will travel wherever to be with you on your special day and that's all that really matters when it comes down to it xx

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in the Yorkshire Dales and have people coming from as far away as Devon for the day. No-one (including us) lives within less than an hour of the venue - evening guests included - but I know that the majority will travel to celebrate with us and many of them will stay at the hotel.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Our furthest came about 1500 miles as they live in Spain.

A lot of our evening guests chose to stay over- they came from between an hour to hour and a half at the most to be with us and we were really flattered at the amount of effort put in.

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

We are having our wedding in the North of Scotland where I'm from and where my family live. The majority of our guests will come from England though, the furthest being Cambridge. We have decided to not bother with evening guests and just have everyone all day as we feel bad asking people to travel such a long way for an evening do.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

One of our closest friends is coming from Australia for our wedding. He's just staying for a month or so with a family member so he can make stag do / wedding and catch up with some other family and friends. No one else in our family has to travel more than a couple of miles. The important ones will be there and do all they can to make it. Have to agree with others though about reception, not sure i'd make the effort to travel a lot for just that alone Smiley smile

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married near Leamington Spa, but we live in Herts having moved there after many years in London. We have day guests coming from London, Edinburgh, Ireland, the US and Australia

Evening guests will be coming from London; it's an hour by train, then 5 mins from the station. We may put on a minibus or something for those who are travelling up on the same train; most of the evening guests will all know each other, so it's likely they would travel en masse and cause mayhem on the train Smiley tongue At least that's what I hope will happen!

Our wedding's a Friday, so we are hoping that people will want to spend a couple of days up there to see stuff - we're still in the early stages of invites and planning though, so will have to see what happens. Half our DJs are also evening guests, so I really hope they show up! :-o

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married on a bank holiday Monday. I'm not worried, we have invited all the important people during the day and only about 5 more people more in the evening. We are lucky that it falls in the easter holidays and that all of my family and our friends are travelling down and staying over and the important people in OH's family will definitely stay.

• Perox
    Beginner October 2013
    Perox ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in Hampshire and we live in Surrey, other family members live up in North Wales and Yorkshire, a good few guests are coming over from Aus and China! Evening guests wise, it will be a good 30/40 miles for some as they live in London, but it is a SAturday so I think that makes it a bit easier!

• Jaysmonkey
    Beginner August 2014
    Jaysmonkey ·
    • Hide content

We have 2 best men, one is coming from Kenya, the other from Pakistan. My O/h met them at university and lived with them for the most part, they are very close.

Everyone else invited is extremely local and all Yorkshire based.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics