Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs.K2b
Beginner August 2015

How far between church and reception venue?

Mrs.K2b, 12 of January of 2014 at 21:24 Posted on Planning 0 14

Me and my boyfriend have recently got engaged, so are currently scouring the internet and getting info and prices from numerous venues to hold our reception. We are getting married in my hometown Nottingham, in the local church to where my family live (the only place I've ever wanted to get married). My issue is that all my h2b's family and friends will be travelling down from South Yorkshire, so ideally after doing an hours travelling down the M1, I don't want them to have to then do another long drive to get from the church to the venue, so there's my question - how far is a reasonable distance to travel from the church to the reception?

14 replies

Latest activity by Mrs.K2b, 13 of January of 2014 at 21:19
  • IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

My reception venue is a 6 minute walk from the church.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

If it helps the most ive ever seen is 40 mins and the bride and groom used this

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is about a 20 minute drive. I would say that is probably the maximum distance I would have. I fell in love with another venue but it was about an hour from the church and I thought that would be too much for people xx

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

My H2B's family all live an hour away from us some will be traveling down the night before others will travel down on the morning. We are marrying at the church in our village, and then our reception venue is 33 minutes away. We looked for a venue closer to the church, but there just weren't any that had that wow factor I was after. Most family members are then staying the night of our wedding and traveling back home the following morning!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I once went to a wedding where the church was an hour from the reception venue - however all the guests met at the reception venue and coaches were provided to the church and back. It did make for a long day, though, and I was ravenous by the time dinner was served.

I think anything up to 20-30 minutes is fine.

• Laura DeBourde
    Laura DeBourde ·
    • Hide content

The longest distance I've seen personally is about a 45 minute drive from church to the reception, and it did take up quite a big chunk of the day. If it's a 45 minute drive for example, it usually turns into longer than that as people are milling about outside the church chatting with people afterwards, everyone has to get out of the car park etc. The wedding which I spoke about above had about 70 guests at the church, so a lot of people to get out the car parks etc and make their way to the reception venue. Although I would say if you find somewhere you love which is a fair way away, still go for it - I find a lot of people split the driving at weddings anyway.

• mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content

Ours is a 45 minute drive - it does worry me but I wouldn't have it any other way - the church is a special part of my life

• R
    Beginner August 2014
    RLB ·
    • Hide content

Mine is about 45 mins drive, we did think about sorting transport for guests, but this may cause chaos in people getting back to hotels at the end of the reception. Guests staying at the venue will not be able to check in until after the ceremony, so are likely to have cars with them.

• cass_b
    Beginner April 2014
    cass_b ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement Smiley smile enjoy the planning. Ours is about 10-15 mins apart!

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Congratulations on your engagement.

I live in Nottingham too. What church are you getting married in and what venues are you considering? If you give me some idea of what kind of venue you want I may be able to suggest some options close to you.

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! We're going to be married at St. Leonard's church in Wollaton. The venues we've looked at on the internet and priced up are;

Wollaton Hall - perfect location but not big enough for our numbers

Swan Car - again perfect location but working out to be verrrrry expensive

Nottingham Belfry - great location, best on price, but no outdoor space

The Walled Garden at Beeston Fields - location great, price on par with some of the other venues. Love the outdoor space and the fact it's in a marquee

Carriage Hall at Plumtree - about 20mins from church, looks nice little more expensive than average

Colwick Hall - just other side of town, looks nice average price

Nottinghamshire Golf and country Club - getting a bit further afield, looks great and prices really good

Donnington Park Farmhouse - about 15 miles/30mins away, a bit querky, prices pretty good

Goosedale - about 30mins away, a little more expensive than others

Lakeside Tower - about 30 mins away - both love the look of this one, coming in really good on price.

we've yet to go and view any of these venues, like I said in the OP we're just getting together quotes where we can. Front runners at the moment are the Walled Garden, Nottinghamshire Golf and the Lakeside.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

If you want to see donnington park farmhouse I have a gallery of past weddings here

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Walton Hotel is beautiful but may not be big enough - what are your numbers? The conference centre at the university is great location and grounds wise but I don't know if it has the wow factor.

Lakeside if beautiful - fantastic setting. The bar is expensive though.

Will keep thinking...

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Our was about a 40 minute jaunt down the M6, we put a coach on and provided snacks, bubbles, water and juice on the coach and then drinks and canapés almost as soon as we arrived at the reception.

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the responses, we're working on 90-100 for the day and max 150 for the evening, but could be under that.

Interesting to hear that the Lakeside bar prices are high - that's one thing that's never included in the wedding brochures!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics