Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Loopy
Beginner October 2005

How far do you commute to work on a daily basis?

Loopy, 17 September, 2009 at 12:07 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 26

We're thinking of moving, well, we NEED to move to a bigger house but a 4 bed house in a decent area in Gloucester is too far out of our budget. We were thinking of moving to Evesham where we can get a lovely decent sized house in a sought after area, and which is not to far from my husband's job in Tewkesbury but I work in Gloucester city centre (council) and it would mean a 45 minute drive. So 90 minutes at least in the car daily. I'm an office manager (although got an interview next week for a promotion) and don't get a huge amount of money.

So how far do you commute? How far is too far for an office/administration job?

26 replies

Latest activity by Brian Parkes LSWPP (HIB), 28 September, 2009 at 13:29
  • cotteesgirl
    Beginner September 2009
    cotteesgirl ·
    • Hide content

Hey loopy, well i do an hour on train and then another half hour by tube each way each day (plus 10 mins walk to station)....i must admit it does drain me & i find im knackered by the weekend, having said that i think driving is worse as you need full attention but i do think a 90min drive each day is doable, but obviously costly too. Good luck with what you decide.

• rachele
    Beginner October 2008
    rachele ·
    • Hide content

I work in Sales Support I do a 50 mile round trip drive every day - I live 5 miles off Jct 13 of the M1, down to Jct 10.

That can take me, in rush hour, anything from 30 mins to 2 hours, depending on whether the weather is crap or there has been a crash and everyone is rubber necking / motorway closed.

Usually I'd say just over 30 mins each way for me, As much as it pains me to spend that much time in the car everyday, I do like having the distance between work and home - it gives me some proper time out when I'm away from work. Plus the drive gives me the chance to calm my mood down if I've had a crumby day at work!

It's not that bad really, I drive in with Moyles and drive home wih Mills!

x

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

26 miles each way so a 52 mile round trip every day. I drive as its quicker it takes at least an hour each way (sometimes up to 2). Ive done this for 7 1/2 years so far.

Public transport takes 2 hours and 20 mins and involes a walk, a bus, a walk, a train, a change of train and another walk.

• Copper
    Copper ·
    • Hide content

I do a 70 mile round trip by car from Tunbridge Wells, Kent to Waterloo, London. I have to go by car because I start at 07.00 (but it's an unspoken rule to let the off going night shift off between ****) I cannot get an early enough train. My journey takes 1hr 15mins minimum, sometimes 1hr 45 if there are road works/jams/accidents etc.

I find it exhausting, especially driving home after a night shift, but I only work 3 shifts in a row and like Rachele said, I love having the distance between home and work because you can shut off when you're at home.

I personally think 45 mins each way is no problem but it depends on your personal circumstances. Do you have family or outside interests which would be affected by you leaving and arriving home later?

• A
    anna belle ·
    • Hide content

I travel about 10 feet to work, from my bedroom to my office thats in my 2nd bedroom!

In the past though I've preferred not to travel at most 30 mins away. Depends how much you like travelling though. I hate driving so that's why I don't like to go too far ?

Copper, my partner has just seen a job he'd love to apply for in Tunbridge Wells, we'd have to move there if he did get it as we live in Northampton. But I have no idea what its like. Is it a nice place to live? (sorry to go off topic ? )

• Mavis Cruet
    Mavis Cruet ·
    • Hide content

Well I do a 140 mile round trip each day which consists of a 15 minute walk to the station, a 1 hour 15 min train journey and another 20 minute walk to the office which means I travel for about 4 hours a day (assuming National Express are working vaguely normally).

Its draining but the only way we could afford the house we wanted for a price we could sensibly afford. Although I have to admit i've settled into a rhythm now and quite like the peace and quiet I get on the train. I often sleep on the way in and get college work done on the way home. I wouldn't do it forever but it works for now.

• Loopy
    Beginner October 2005
    Loopy ·
    • Hide content

Family is a touchy subject at the moment, one reason why we're not too sad about not being able to stay in Glos.

We've got 2 babies under 3, not sure if a nursery near work or near home would be better. Evenually i'll prob get a job a little nearer to home.

• Lili Donkey
    Beginner July 2006
    Lili Donkey ·
    • Hide content

I commute by train and at the moment it's about 50 minutes door to door - time isn't my issue so much as cost, I really do begrudge £3k a year for a train ticket especially considering I never even get a seat [:'(] We're also thinking about moving further out, the current location of choice would mean by commute goes up to £4k a year and 1 hour 40 minutes each way but it would mean a much bigger property and at the very least a seat on the train into work...

Commuting sucks but I'd say the extra time / cost would be outweighed by a nice house in a sought after area... For us for example, putting that extra £1,000 a year into a mortgage wouldn't give us anywhere near the extra space in property putting it into travel would and I'm thinking I could log into emails on the train and effectively work for an hour every morning and then use the return journey to sleep but obviously if you are driving that won't be option.

• Loop
    Beginner August 2007
    Loop ·
    • Hide content

I currently live about 30 mins from work (a 10 min walk, 2 tube stops (10 mins) and another 10 mins walk) on a good day or up to an hour depending on what's going on with the tube. We're about to move further out so it will be about an hour each way (10 mins walk, 35 mins train, 10 mins tube, 5 mins walk) but worth it so we can have a house rather than a v v v small flat. It's a really tricky decision to make about 'how far is too far' and 'how much £' etc isn't it. We (H & I ) decided that an hour each way was enough for us and we didn't want to pay more than 3.5K for our tickets.

ps I grew up in Evesham (and am a Prince Henry's girl), I think it's a lovely place to grow up x

• Emma80
    Beginner
    Emma80 ·
    • Hide content

I drive about 23 miles each way every day, on clear roads it's 30 minutes, but typically probably 45 min and can take longer (my record was over 2 hours to get home in the snow!). It's not too bad, but I do get frustrated with it (I've only just gone back from maternity leave so haven't had too many days of it for my frustration to build up again yet!)

The 45 min drive you talk about, does that factor in traffic?

I have a nursery close to home, as I think I'd like the option of sending him in if I was ever off sick, and also I worry that if I got stuck badly in traffic he might start getting upset and I wouldn't be able to do anything. The downside is that it adds to the pressure of time to do my hours at work and fit in with nursery times

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

I have a 10 minute stroll to work everyday...such hardship, when we move my stroll will be extended to 25 mins...will have to add new music to my ipod

• Zooneycat
    Zooneycat ·
    • Hide content

About 4.5 - 5hrs a day. I work in W. London, but live in Northampton. I train/tube it here most days. If I drive, it takes anywhere from 1hr15mins each way (on a really good day) to 2hrs, which when you're tired, isn't great. So, I prefer to sit on a train. Not so great at the mo being 24wks pregnant! Sitting on the floor of the train is a very common occurance.

• M
    Beginner January 2007
    mrslf ·
    • Hide content

It takes me about 45 mins to an hour to travel to work and the same length of time to get home on a night, so about an hour and half - two hours every day, I drive to work and have done this journey for the past 14 years.

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content

My drive to work is probably about 40mins each way. I don't really work that far from work although sometimes I wish I worked closer to home, mainly because by the time I'm home and cooked dinner I have no evening. Overall, it's not that bad.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

Me, 16 steps! I live above it! My OH, 16 steps and across the road! It's fab! x

• jerseymonkey
    Beginner
    jerseymonkey ·
    • Hide content

About 15 minutes, or half an hour walking. I used to commute a couple of hours each day - about an hour door to door cycle, train, walk. It was doable. If using a train rather than driving's an option I'd do that - less stressful and not dead time as you can read or work.

• jerseymonkey
    Beginner
    jerseymonkey ·
    • Hide content

Meant to say definitely a nursery near home - I contemplated nursery near work but the idea of commuting with him a couple of hours a day (especially when he started getting car sick...) - no thanks. I also sometimes put him in when I'm not at work if I have leave or an appointment I;d rather he wasn't there for - that wouldn't be feasible really if he was an hour's drive away.

• Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content

I have a 10 minute walk, H has a five hour round trip (bus into London).

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Evesham is a town that I love immensely and If I were to move to that area, this would be where I would aim for. I have spent many weeks (around 15) on various courses in the area and the place is great for restaurants, pubs and social life.

• NumbNuts
    Beginner October 2004
    NumbNuts ·
    • Hide content

75 miles each way from home, 45 miles each way from my folks where i live in the week. It's an hour each way from my parents assuming I leave home before 6.30. It's a killer and we will move nearer eventually, but it was a career move I couldn't pass up.

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I am about to start commuting Cheltenham to Birmingham. I will be spending 20-30 min on the bus then 45 ish min on a train each day in each direction os on a goo dday my journy will be an hour and on a bad day who knows. I have to say though this is my absoulte trvel maximum and if it gets too long we are thinking of buying a car as the drive is only 40 min but I don't fncy being in the traffic.

• Duck
    Duck ·
    • Hide content

I do 20 mins each way - one junction along m4. When I went back to work Katy was 7 months and I wanted her close to me if she needed me in the day, so I chose a nursery opposite work. Now she is older I have switched to a childminder in my hometown - if feel more at ease her being further from me in the day (only 20 mins after all) and when I go on mat leave again in Jan I want her routine to be well established and not to be a complete change for her when the new baby arrives (I'm aiming to keep her in care 2 morning a week, rather than 3 days).

• Hungry Caterpillar
    Beginner
    Hungry Caterpillar ·
    • Hide content

I commute 1.5 hours each day (South Oxfordshire to Slough) - 15 mins drive then 1 hours train then 15 mins walk.

I think it's too much really - I'm exhausted by the end of the week.

• maisybelle
    Beginner December 2008
    maisybelle ·
    • Hide content

I work in several different offices, which range between 24miles to 60miles, taking anything from 30 to 90 mins. It was a struggle at first but I'm into the routine now and quite enjoy having some quiet time before work (I drive) and on the way home I have a chance to de-stress before I get back. It's not anywheere near as stressful as I thought it would be. Although if I'm working further away I do consider rush hour when deciding what time to leave home/work - luckily I have flexi time so this works well. I'm a probation officer so personally I wouldn't want to live in the area I work in.

Oh and I love Evesham too!

• l0vaduck
    Beginner April 2008
    l0vaduck ·
    • Hide content

I live 3 miles from work: takes me just over 15 minutes to cycle, or about 7 to drive. I can even walk it in an hour. I once lived two buses away from my job: 1 hour each way on a good day, then we moved house so that we were about 2 miles away. The extra time I gained by doing that was such a pleasant surprise that I vowed never to live more than 30 minutes away from work again.

For me, no matter how nice the house or the area, I wouldn't commute for more than an hour in total a day. What's the point of having a lovely house if you're too knackered in the evenings to enjoy it?

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

I'm 45-50 minutes door to door, but travel by train which means I can sleep or read which isn't advisable if you are driving. Although you can sing along to the radio if you drive, which in turn isn't advisable on a train. I think 45 minutes is about average.

The other thing is there're rarely traffic jams on the train, 45 minutes can easily become an hour or more.

• B
    Brian Parkes LSWPP (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Ive gone from a minimum 1.5 hours each way to about 35 feet. I'm sitting here at work now in my dressing gown at the bottom of my garden.

commutes drain you, if you can avoid it do. I did it for 6 years and it left my emotionally bankrupt.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics