Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner April 2013

How far in advance can I buy flower girl dresses?

laura9889, 12 March, 2012 at 13:47 Posted on Planning 0 4

I've seen the flower girl dresses I want and there a bit of a bargain but my wedding isn't for another year and my littlest one will be 18 months and oldest one will be 9 ? Can I just buy them now and hope they fit or shall I just wait till nearer the time I have 6 flower girls so every saving on there dresses turns out to be a big saving ! Also I will have 2 2 year olds and a 18 month old and 2 6 year olds and a 9 year old shall I get the older ones and younger ones different dresses?

Laura

4 replies

Latest activity by laura9889, 13 March, 2012 at 10:57
  • willumino
    Beginner June 2013
    willumino ·
    • Hide content

Do you have someone who could alter them for you? You could buy them all too big and have them altered to fit nearer the time if so - is a bit risky though as you never know how much kids are going to grow! Depends how much of a bargain they are too... If they're only a little cheaper than they should be I would probably wait until nearer the time.

With regards to whether they all wear the same dress or not, its entirely up to you. I have two little flower girls and a junior bridesmaid (ages 2, 4 and 10 when we get married) so will be having the little ones in white dresses and the older girl in a turquoise dress like the adult bridesmaids. But thats partly so the older one doesn't feel like she's lumped in with the tiny ones!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

Don't buy dresses for the little ones until nearer the time. Use the time you have to save the money you'll need for the dresses. Children grow at different rates, so you do run the risk of buying the dresses now and discovering that either they dont' fit properly, or you see something even nicer nearer the time.

I thought i'd had my flower girls outfits picked out a good 10 months before, but when they tried them on about a month before the wedding they didn't look right, so we had to rethink. In the end they got some gorgeous dresses from Monsoon, and actually a couple were discounted too!

• I
    Beginner July 2013
    islandbride ·
    • Hide content

Im buying my daughters dress now for my 2013 wedding purely because its perfect and being in a depaartment store im pretty sure wont be available nearer the time.

she has always been in a year to two older than she is throughout her life so im buying it two ages bigger and will alter if needs be.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I talked to my SIL2B about this, as she's the mum of our two flowergirls. They'll be 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 at the wedding next year and she asked that we not buy the dresses until within 6 weeks of the wedding just in case one of them has a growth spurt!

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

My FIL is a tailor and made all 10 bridesmaid dresses for his wedding! I'm sure he could alter them I think I'll just buy them big and have them altered!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics