Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lauren700
Beginner

How far in advance can you buy the sweets?

lauren700, 25 January, 2011 at 14:34 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi all, We are having a sweetie buffet and I was wondering - when can I start buying the sweets to spread the cost without them going off!

18 replies

Latest activity by Little Madam, 25 January, 2011 at 16:48
  • Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Not sure but will be watching as i've just been pricing them up today, but thinking I might buy then 2-3 months in advance as they need some serious storage space too.

• lauren700
    Beginner
    lauren700 ·
    • Hide content

How are you going to know how much to buy to ensure it's enough? I love hte idea and have bought lots of lovely containers etc but this bit seems like a nightmare!!

Have you found any cheap tong type utensils??

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I got 2 scoops from Ebay for £6 and will pop into an Asda for a paid of cheap tongues I figure unless I see any around.

Also not sure on volumes - I am probably going to get 1kg boxes of everything and then fill accordingly. We plan to have one huge bowl of stuff such as Heroes and quality streets too.

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sammy_wheeler ·
    • Hide content

I think as long as the expiry date is ok on them then buy when you have the room, they are cheap.

i think i will be going to macro in a couple of months, and also checking out what goes in the sale after valentines day.

i have no idea how many i need either! i havent brought the vases, bowls etc yet- so when i get them i will try it for size. and maybe put some spare under the table just in case.

re cheap tongs- check ebay.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Actually just had a peek on ebay - plenty for under a few pounds.

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content

We have been buying our sweets for over a year now. We check the dates and as long as they are in date until just after the wedding we've gone for them.

We have about 22kg of sweets so far which we're not sure is enough or not (we have 100 guests) but we think it shoudl be plenty!

We got our scoops off ebay - 10 metal scoops for £14. Also got the bags off there

We got some of the big tins of chocolates at xmas to bulk out the display as they were only £4 and the rest we've been collecting every day over the past year

I can't wait to see what it looks like!

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sammy_wheeler ·
    • Hide content

Are you having a scoop for each type of sweet?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Sweets usually have at least a year SBD on them, bit choclste is ususlly s lot shorter shelf life.

• J
    Beginner January 2012
    Jaw ·
    • Hide content

Missmayflower,

That's over 1/2 lb of sweets for every person!

I wish sweet tables had been around when I got married, but I did have large bowls of sweets on every table during the reception, all heart shaped (how twee!), foil wrapped truffles from thorntons, haribo red & white hearts, heart shaped jelly beans and small rolls of love hearts plus others

It caused great amusement, tables were trading sweets with each other!

• Linziloo84
    Beginner May 2012
    Linziloo84 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad this post has come up! I've been thinking the same great to hear some answers!

Another question though...where can I get sweet boxes from instead of paper bags?

I've seen little boxes (bigger than favor ones) there like chinese take out boxes, that are used and the look really cute!

Obviously you can personalise them with stickers and ribbon to make them pretty!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Based on my quick calculations - if I went to the shop i'd buy perhaps a 50g or if I had to buy 100g it would last me a few days (who am I kidding, i'd probably jus scoff more).

So I need about 7500g or 7.5kg - prices I am seeing on Ebay is about £6 per kg plus maz £7 P&P which means mine is only working out at £50ish - just need to make sure as everyone says, thay they fill the containers.

If we do buy too much, it won't be wasted with my lot around - OH will probably take whatever's left to work, or better still, he flies to Afghan just after honeymoon so might take it to some of his lads out there.

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hadn't thought of that! - that does seem a lot, maybe we have enough now!

Also - we're having a scoop per bowl

• Linziloo84
    Beginner May 2012
    Linziloo84 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry didn't finish lol!

I can only find ones with metal handles,and i'm looking for just foldable closed tops without handles. Can't seem to find them anywhere!

These little white one are something I'd like

Even something like a popcorn carton would work just plain coloured or white so I can add decoration to it!

Any ideas??

• Little Madam
    Beginner
  • Linziloo84
    Beginner May 2012
    Linziloo84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Omg thankyou so much kayl!

The budget muffin cases are perfect...just perfect!

Going to order them now!

One other thing does anyone know where to buy lettering from?

I'm after quite big letters (either plastic, ceramic any material really).

Its to put flat on the front of the sweet table...I was thinking of EAT ME

Ive seen it before but can't remember where...typical!

• Linziloo84
    Beginner May 2012
    Linziloo84 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I meant to say standing up not flat lol!

Something like these, not neccessarily in these colours though

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

You can get them cheap on ebay - we got some which we are going to spray ourself from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/thedecorativelettercompany

but if you scour ebay you can set the "Eat" ones of the "Sweet" ones quite cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WOODEN-STYLE-WALL-LETTERS-EAT-NEW-/270686502167?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Decorative_Accents_LE&hash=item3f062c3d17

• Linziloo84
    Beginner May 2012
    Linziloo84 ·
    • Hide content

You are a world of knowledge lol!Thankyou so much!? x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Your welcome - I definately spend too long search the internet for random wedding things, haha.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics