Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Beginner June 2024 Lothian & Borders

How far would you travel as an evening guest?

Stephanie, 30 of December of 2021 at 12:42 Posted on Planning 1 13
Hi everyone!

I’m about to book our wedding venue that’s 55 minutes away which we’ve fell in love with. My question is, if you were invited as an evening guest, would you feel offended at the 55 minute travel to the venue? A friend got married similar distance from home and all her guests were day guests but budget just doesn’t allow to invite everyone all day.
Thoughts/advice welcome!! X

13 replies

Latest activity by John, 29 of January of 2023 at 18:52
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content
    *I want to add that we’re gonna put on a coach for the day guests which I’d be more than happy for evening guests to get on for the journey back home at the end of the night.
  • J
    Beginner April 2022 North Yorkshire
    Josh ·
    • Hide content
    I guess it depends on the person really. I know my fiance would want to help with accommodation or something to alleviate hassle but if it was me I wouldn't see a problem personally if I knew the couple well.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Are all your guests local? Because otherwise, it could be more or less than 55 minutes, depending on where they are travelling from.

I'd probably travel that far, but not much further, so it might be worth checking out where most of your evening guests will be travelling from.

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The most someone would be travelling is 55 minutes, some 45 that are couple miles closer. I seen suggestions of starting the evening reception a bit sooner say 6pm so people don’t feel as put out. Guess it’s a tough decision! X
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    My friends was an hour away and personally i have no issue with it. But she did have a lot of people leave earlier than usual due to the travel back, also those with kids left early for babysitters or if kids where there, to get then home and in bed. I dont think it is that far, maybe sound out some of your guests and see what they think. Our ceremo y is an hour away but we are having the reception closer to home for the evening as a lot of our eve guests we know wouldn't travel

• Stephanie
    Stephanie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Charlotte! Do you think with having the coach for guests it might sway people from leaving early? If they’re getting a coach home at finishing time?
    We’re only inviting our own kids plus 2 page boys so hopefully that’ll avoid that aspect. X
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The coach would stop early departures as I assume it would be a set leaving time, but to be honest, people are more likely to drive themselves if there is a time set. My friend did also look at a coach but it was logistically going to be a challenge with multiple drop offs or a central one still meant people then had to get a can from the drop off point to home and the cost was fairly high. I personally wouldn't bother, people will travel for a wedding and if there are hotels nearby some people (like me) like to make a weekend of it and stay nearby and get a cab to a hotel and avoid travelling back home or a long journey

• Karisma
    Savvy March 2023 Kent
    Karisma ·
    • Hide content
    I think an hour away is fine, I went to an evening reception that was an hour and a half away once. As long as the guests care enough about you and are happy to be invited they will do it, an hour isn't even that much time. The coach back is also very good sweetener and should reduce the amount of people that may have declined based on the distance.
    My wedding is an hour and a half away for some evening guests and as much as I want them all to come, I expect some will decline.
  • MrsRtoH
    Savvy October 2022 Merseyside
    MrsRtoH ·
    • Hide content
    Heyyyy I have this problem too. The day guests mainly are all staying over at the hotel so most are just driving to the venue, noone has said anything or found this to be a problem.

I feel more obliged to help the evening only guests getting to and from the wedding. I'm putting on a little minibus thing for the evening people. Getting picked up at 6pm at a central location and then taking them home at the end 👍🏻
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

As an evening guest I think it often depends on...

(a) how close you are to the person and how big their ceremony is - 150 people at the ceremony and I didn't make the cut, might mean I don't feel massively keen to travel a distance that would likely mean a very expensive taxi or a hotel stay because it makes me feel more like a floor-filler than a valued friend

(b) how good the wedding looks! I know this is maybe a bit tacky to say, but if the venue looks awesome and the reception sounds like it'll be a great party, especially if I have a few friends going too, or it's in a cool location that I might make a weekend trip out of, then I'd be much more inclined to make the effort/spend the money to get there

The thing is, it's just as expensive to be an evening guest as it is a day guest - you still have to buy an outfit, pay for a taxi, a night at a hotel, get the couple a gift AND by the time you arrive the bar will be cash - so there will always be some people that feel it isn't worth the effort for what to them will be a very expensive night out. I'd say to prioritise your day guests and make sure you'll enjoy the evening even if they're the only ones there, so rather than bank on evening guests definitely turning up think of any that make the effort to join as a bonus.

• A
    Curious November 2022 Durham
    Amy ·
    • Hide content
    My wedding is 350 miles away from my home town and some family members. 5 hour journey and I still have quite a few people coming
  • Lolana9
    Beginner June 2022 East Central London
    Lolana9 ·
    • Hide content

I recently started working for a travel agency and I really like to travel, so I organize trips to different countries and cities. The ticketinghub service helped me develop, where I easily registered and sell tickets to travel! You can find something that interests you. I like that it is easy, fast and high quality.

• J
    North Carolina
    Janet ·
    • Hide content

Thanks a lot!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics