Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kharv
Beginner March 2012

How is/was your top table arranged?

kharv, 1 June, 2011 at 10:01 Posted on Planning 0 32

If you are having two sets of parents on the top table, did you go down the traditional route of the groom's father and bride's mother to the left of the married couple and the bride's father and the groom's mother to the right of the married couple? Or did you sit your parents together on one side and OH's parents together on the other?

Our parents haven't met yet (although they will on Saturday EEEK!) but probably won't see each other again until the wedding so don't exactly know each other.

What did you do?

32 replies

Latest activity by Natjay, 1 June, 2011 at 12:55
  • fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

I'm having this order: Dad, Mum, Best Man, Me, OH, Maid of Honour, OH Dad, OH Mum

Not tradition, but oh well x

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

We have as follows

(My Mom) ( My Dad) (Me-Bride) (OH-Bride) (OH Dad) (OH-Mom)

• kerrylou89
    Beginner August 2011
    kerrylou89 ·
    • Hide content

My top goes

maid of honour, father of groom mother of bride, groom, bride, father of bride, mother of groom, best man, bridesmaid

so ive split them up. suppose it depends of your parents and inlaws relastionship aswell if they get on or not?!?!

probably havent helped at all sorry lol!

also found this might help

http://www.countybride.co.uk/bath/wedding_etiquette/the_reception/

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

My mum would prefer to sit with Daddy Flow ours will prob be

(CBM) (MUMMY F) (DADDY F) (ME) (MR F) (MIL) (FIL) (BM)

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Snap, this ws my next post question. I have no idea what's traditional and our parents are slightly mismatched personalities (mine - vociferous, not too serious, his - quiet, thoughtful). Sitting his Dad between my Mum and I (is that the correct format?) is going to make him feel very uncomfortable.

• MrsCoco
    MrsCoco ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ours was much the same as this for the same reason, also they'd only met once before the day. Though it best to sit people who knew each other with each other as there wouldn't have been much conversation/enjoyment otherwise!

Our top table was

Best Man no.1, Dad, Mum, Me, H, MIL, FIL, Best Man no. 2

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

We've got an odd number on our top table because of the ex MOH so ours will look like this:

(Best Man) (H2B's Dad) (H2B's Mum) (H2B) (Me) (My Dad) (My Mum) (My Son) (My Daughter)

• Cheeky_pie
    Beginner August 2011
    Cheeky_pie ·
    • Hide content

Ours will be: FIL2B, MIL2B, Groomsman, Bestman, Hubby2Be, Me, My Son, MOH, Bridesmaid, Mum, Dad. Any wedding I have been at recently the parents have sat with there own partners! I think maybe its not as common as it used to be.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

A little wonky? Eh?

I asked my BM if she wanted to sit on the top table to be polite, but I knew she would prefer to sit with her husband and children so I wasn't offended when she declined the offer.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

We had circular tables and as Mr Spangles' parents are divorced we decided it would be easier if they hosted their own tables.

Our top table: I was inbetween Mr Spangles and Mummy Spangles (she gave me away and did the FOB speech) she was next to our family friend S whose wife, V did a reading. Next to her was my cousin who also did a reading, then the 3 BMs and the Best Man.

I found this worked really well.

• Cheeky_pie
    Beginner August 2011
    Cheeky_pie ·
    • Hide content

I was worried about an odd number. I really wanted my son at the top table though so this was always going to be the way. Plus he is only 7 so he is only small and wont take up that much room lol xx

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

If there is an odd number on the top table the bride sits in the middle so, no, it's not a bit long on one side.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Just plop yourself in the middle of the table, it's nice that your son is being including...

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We had an oval table that wasn't completely full so that there was an open space on the opposite side to us.

(CBM) (FOG) (MOB) (Mr CB) (Mrs CB) (FOB) (MOG) (BM)

My parents are divorced and have new partners. We sat the partners with my parents respective families. My mum had met Mr CB's parents twice (albeit briefly) and my dad had only met Mr CB's dad before (on the stag do!).

We sat them how we wanted to seat them and they did us proud. They all got on swimmingly, despite being very different people. I'd have been disappointed had it been any other way, and they'd not been able to manage for two hours.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what I needed. Also have an oval table that will be open on the room-facing side. Same people as well. Not sure we could do the same order though. Boy would get annoyed with my mother in his ear all dinner Smiley smile Might seat parents in their couples.

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

We're having an upside down 'U' shaped top table because the room isn't very wide, our plan is to put OH's parents on one side and my Dad and his gf on the other, with the bridesmaid and best man sitting next to us along the back (bottom of the 'U'), if that makes sense? It's not conventional at all but that doesn't bother me!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I'll be going down the traditional route and swapping the parents round, but that's only because my parents and my in-laws get on well and do things socially together anyway. At my sister's wedding, they stuck to the couples as they'd never met before. BM at the moment doesn't have a girlfriend but I may sit my sister's (MOH) husband with her as he won't know many other people at the wedding. He's also going to be an usher, so depends on how much time he's spent with the other ushers (OH's brothers) in the lead up to the wedding.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

Traditional layout:

http://www.toptableplanner.com/wedding_seating_plan.php

I'm not sure what we're having yet as I'm not 100% I even want bridesmaids yet!

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Our top table goes like this, from left to right:

My parents. BM, BM, MOH, me, OH, Best Man, groomsman, groomsman, OH mother & father

OH parents arnt together but my mum & dad want to sit beside each other so thats that. OH mum is a bit funny about it, his dad doesnt give 2 hoots. She'll just have to grin & bear it - just like in their family pictures etc - just because they are not together they are still a family.

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

Ours will probably be something like this:

BM, MOG, FOB, Son 1, Bride, Groom, Son 2, MOB, FOG

• BustyB
    Beginner June 2012
    BustyB ·
    • Hide content

We aren't having a traditional Top Table. We are having 2 long tables, OH and I are on one with our siblings (and partner and kids) , and best friends (with partners and kids)

Other table includes other family (including parents)

Bx

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Both of our parents are divorced and re-married with the exception of MIL.

Fortunately all parents still get on and the first thing that my mum said to me was that "I will sit with your Dad, we are your mum and dad and that is the most important thing for the day".

We had a round table in the centre of the room (9 in all so 3 x 3 x 3 with us right in the centre) and sat...

(Bride) (Groom) (FOB) (MOB) (Best Man) (CBM) (MOG) (FOG)

Partners, siblings and children sat on their own tables.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone - interesting to see how everyone's looks!

My parents are also divorced and my mam is remarried. Real dad won't be attending as he lives in Australia and is instead paying for us to fly out as part of our honeymoon. Stepdad has been my dad for 23 years so he'll be giving me away. Forgot the mams and dads will also be meeting on the hen and stag dos!

We have two best men and 5 bridesmaids. Best men will be on the top table, their partners will be on another table. BMs are having a table of ten with their partners.

My mam is quite traditional so she may want the traditional layout but not sure yet! She's a bit of a stickler for things like that, bless her. Not sure she's forgiven me yet for deciding not to have fruit cake! She still thinks I'm having one layer of fruit to save for the Christening! Luckily she's also very good at accepting my decision on things.

So, think I will have one of these:

Best Man - FOG - MOB - Groom - Bride - FOB - MOG - Best Man

Best Man - FOG - MOG - Groom - Bride - FOB - MOB - Best Man

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh my mam did that for mine and my little brothers baptisms (I was baptised late)

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

I think ours will be

(My Mum) ( Our daughter) (My Maid of Honour) (ME) (Wife) (Wife's Maid of Honour) (Wife's Mum) (My stepdad)

It's the only way I can make it even, though I'd rather have my stepdad and mum together!

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

We're having:

Best Man, CBM, my Mum & Dad, OH, Me, Bridesmaid, Usher, Flowergirl

OH's parents aren't attending so to 'cover' the gap on the top table we're putting both his sisters and neice (BMs & Flowergirl) along with thier husbands (best man & usher).

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Ours isn't traditional, and it's uneven.

BM1 BM2 MotB FotB MoH Bride Groom BestMan MotG FotG SIL2B-(who is also BM3)

I know I'm supposed to sit next to my dad but he would drive me UP THE WALL and I also didn't think it was fair to seat my poor MIL between my dad and little cousin. So this way works for us! I could have had SIL2B down 'my' end as she is my bridesmaid, but putting her down the other end makes us as the Bride and Groom a bit more central.

• N
    Beginner April 2012
    Natjay ·
    • Hide content

Ours is going to me

Bestman FOG MOG Groom Bride FOB MOB MOH

our other bridesmaid and flower girl will be sitting on another table with thier family

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics