Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

fifiminx
Beginner August 2010

How long after food before you can exercise?

fifiminx, 6 August, 2009 at 08:20 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

I was in a haze this morning and when I made my son's breakfast I did myself a bowl of weetabix too. I had planned to do some 40 mins cardio this morning BEFORE food.. Anyone know how long I should leave it now?

Thanks

6 replies

Latest activity by l0vaduck, 6 August, 2009 at 18:37
  • S
    Beginner January 2006
    seraphina ·
    • Hide content

Up to you really. I find weetabix quite easy to digest so can do something reasonably fast paced about 30-45 mins afterwards. If you are going to be working really hard, I'd wait at least 1hr30, pref. 2hours before starting though.

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

It depends on the person, I think. I could happily run 5 miles or so 15 minutes after eating a roast dinner. I'd leave it half hour if I were you.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Crikey ? I need an hour and a half or two hours.

• Mrs Cee
    Beginner
    Mrs Cee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too or I get hideous stitch! That's why exercising in the morning is not good for me as I'd have to get up really early to eat!

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I exercise before I eat in the mornings. Can happily do anything up to about 10k without food.

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I suprised myself to be honest - felt sluggish until I started but had loads of energy. I was also ok with up to 10k on no food too. This was way back when I could run by the way.

• l0vaduck
    Beginner April 2008
    l0vaduck ·
    • Hide content

With breakfast, as it's such a light meal, I quite happily get on my bike almost immediately afterwards, but I'm guessing that's not as strenuous as what you're talking about. However I do regularly swim 40 lengths only half an hour after breakfast, with no ill effects.

The most strenuous exercise class I do is in the afternoon, so I sometimes need to eat a banana or cereal bar immediately before to keep my blood sugar stable (I have type 1 diabetes) and have never suffered any ill effects.

If I've eaten anything more substantial then walking is about the only thing I can manage within an hour or two. I think it depends on whether the exercise involves any pressure on my stomach: as long as I'm not doing scrunchies then eating weetabix wouldn't stop me doing much!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics