Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2024 Surrey

How long before getting an engagement ring (for those who decided to get one)?!

Helen, 16 of June of 2022 at 09:02 Posted on Planning 1 3
Hello!
Just wondered, for those who’s other halves did really want (apparently) to get them an engagement ring, how long you waited after getting engaged?!

We got engaged mid March and he didn’t propose with a ring (my daughter having correctly told him he has awful taste and I would want to choose!). It would have been nice to have a place holder, so after a couple of weeks I got a £6 sainsburys one (actually very nice, but already tarnished!).
We’ve looked a couple of times in high street shops, but really just looking for a style to then buy one for less eg in Hatton Garden. Just want the style I like, but am perfectly happy with lab diamond or moissanite. We were going to go into London but he hates London (live 20 miles away, last time he went in was 2011!). Now it hasn’t been mentioned for weeks.
Is this normal?! We’re planning a long engagement so I don’t think he sees any urgency, just wondered how long other people took!
Hxx

3 replies

Latest activity by Helen, 16 of June of 2022 at 11:26
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    Personally I would have wanted to go out and get an engagement ring straight away! My FH proposed with a ring but I knew he had it ages beforehand and it was exactly what I wanted as I had told him when we first met what kind of ring I wanted- simple solitaire diamond. The only thing I didn’t stipulate was the type of metal for the ring and he got yellow gold which you don’t see as much these days- a lot of my friends are already married (I’m 45!) and they all have white gold or platinum so at first I was a bit surprised but now I’m pleased it’s different. It does mean I need to get a yellow gold wedding band though if I want it to match. Hardly a big issue but wasn’t something I first thought about!
    My ring was far too big when he gave it to me so I didn’t wear it which was a bit strange especially when people asked to see it and I wasn’t wearing it so I did nag a bit to get it sorted and in the end we took it to a friend who works in diamond setting (as you do!) and he took it to work and got it resized for a lot less than the shop where he bought it quoted.
    Even if you are having a long engagement ( we will be 18 months) you deserve a proper ring so nag him to sort it!
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

I would say it is not normal, ideally, he would have given you a place holder when he proposed and them within a couple of weeks gone out with you to choose one, regardless of how long your engagement is. I would be putting a date in the diary real soon for you to go and look, if he hates London can you maybe look for some smaller boutique jewelers nearer you or even ones that can make exactly what you want. I hope you can get him to do it soon!

• H
    Beginner May 2024 Surrey
    Helen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ha! Ha! Ideally he would have got down on one knee & asked me, not asked what I would say if he did ask me, explaining he was hardly going to ask if he didn’t think I would say ‘yes’! I k ow what I’m getting in to at least!
    I want quite a big stone for my old lady hands, hence wanting to go to Hatton or Birmingham to source a non-diamond!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics