Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2017

How long before the wedding do you need to order your dress?

Strawberry123, 17 of January of 2017 at 22:36 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi all. I got engaged at the end of December and we have set a date of 29th August. How long should I leave to order a dress? I've just seen somewhere that dresses can take 6 months to arrive and my wedding is in 7 months! I've also got a few stone to lose so want to put off trying on dresses for as long as possible until I've lost my weight. Should I be looking now? Thanks!

7 replies

Latest activity by Bacchant, 31 of January of 2017 at 11:56
  • H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyPinkStationery692 ·
    • Hide content

Ive been told that it is roughly 9months before that you need to start looking, remember you can always make a dres smaller but you cant always make a dress bigger. The only other option is an off the rail dress, from a sample sales etc but you are not guaranteed to find something you like. x

• S
    Beginner November 2016
    StarCRM ·
    • Hide content

I got married in November and ordered my dress in April. The reaction from most of the shops I visited was that there was enough time but just. I wouldn't leave the gap much less than that incase you risk reducing the choice you have. Dresses can be taken in quite a lot.

• Pookie8911
    Beginner April 2017
    Pookie8911 ·
    • Hide content

We get married in April, and I ordered my dress last July which I was told I was pushing it with - at the time they said t wouldn't be in store until February, which obviously doesn't leave too much time for alterations. It will depend on the designer, and there are stores like Wed2Be where you can buy the dress there and then. I did try on lots of dresses though, which you've got to factor in time for. Good luck!

• L
    Beginner April 2017
    LuxuriousRedConfetti566 ·
    • Hide content

I've been told that four months is the absolute minimum for ordering dresses in and they're put in as rush orders (extra cost) and with little adjustment time. As someone else said, there is always off the peg stores or sample sales which can then just be altered in a much smaller time frame.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Buy now, get it taken in when you've lost weight.

I was determined to lose 2 stone before my wedding when I bought my dress in 2015.

Ive lost 13lbs, not through lack of trying.

Otherwise, you can look at somewhere like wed2b nearer the time as they have dresses you can take away that day Smiley smile

x

• V
    Beginner September 2017
    VegasBride2017 ·
    • Hide content

I get married September and have just ordered my dress today. I was reading horror stories about shops going bust and dresses arriving ate from designers and thought I am not risking it! Imagine having no dress ?

• F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsTz ·
    • Hide content

I get married in June, ordered my dress in July 2016 and it's only just arrived at the shop. The bridal shops should be able to advise you on which dresses can be delivered with enough time to spare for delivery and alterations. Some designers can do a rush service but it costs extra.

As some others have already suggested, if you have no joy with other bridal shops maybe give wed2b a look as you can take the dress home on the day xx

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

I get married this June, ordered my dress in Feb 2016 and my dress arrived in store in Nov 2016.

Some shops now do 'gowns to go' which are available in 3-4 months, but the choices are a bit more limited.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics