Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

2013_Bride_
Beginner August 2013

How long did your reception / welcome drinks last?

2013_Bride_, 31 January, 2013 at 12:13 Posted on Planning 0 6

Sorry for all the questions today. Its so hard working out timings when you have a marquee and no-one to really ask! :-(

We have a venue who is serving our food / providing the bar but they only do 1-2 weddings a year so they don't really offer 'advice' so to speak.

How long do you think is reasonable for drinks before taking seats?

We will be providing wine for this, definitely want an hour, but can't decide if any longer is too long etc?

What did you do / think is acceptable from a guests point of view?

I don't want people thinking oh god when we are we finally going to take our seats / be fed!

Our service is at 1pm and I imagine people will be at the reception venue from 2.30pm (after service, photos, and the drive to reception venue).

6 replies

Latest activity by Enjayee, 31 January, 2013 at 16:23
  • Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

From what I can remember, ours was about 45mins - an hour. We had waiters going round with glasses of bubbly and canapes, but people could go to the bar and get whatever else they wanted. People will be fine as long as they can get a drink. They'll expect with a 1.00 wedding not to sit down until 4.00ish.

I went to a wedding once where there was a (non-alcoholic) welcome drink and no bar so we couldn't even go and buy a coke, even though we were hanging round for about 2 hours whilst the photos were being taken.

• Kath @ JohnCharltonPhoto
    Beginner
    Kath @ JohnCharltonPhoto ·
    • Hide content

Are you wanting any photos at your reception venue? I would factor in a minimum of 30 mins for this and plan to start them maybe fromm 3-3:15pm to take account of people getting lost on the way to the reception or going to check in to hotel rooms.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had this too once- there's only so much elderflower fizz you can drink in 2 hours! I think an hour is fine, if you are providing alcoholic drinks....

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

At other weddings I've been to the reception drinks have gone on for anywhere from 1 to 2 hours before sitting down for dinner (or before the ceremony, or both). At my brother's wedding the cocktail hour, as it's called over there, lasted an hour, but the entire time was taken up by photographs, and he and his wife didn't even get a chance to mingle with people, so I'm planning to make mine closer to 2 hours.

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't want to hang about longer than an hour. At our wedding people went into the other bar of the venue and we had a few pics done inside the room then they went in and greeted us about 30 minutes later

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

I'm struggling with this, we are having the ceremony and reception in the same place, we have an acoustic duo playing during our drinks reception and hopefully we will be outside where kids can run around etc. I just don't know how long to give for photographs, there will be drinks and canapés flowing so hopefully our guests won't be too bored!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

We're having the first set of welcome drinks in a room in our church after the service for an hour, then we're going on an hour boat trip to our reception venue armed with Prosecco, then we have 45 minutes in our reception venue before dinner where our guests will be treated to cava or a non-alcoholic drink.

I will also be providing water for hydration purposes!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics