Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lovelygirl
Beginner August 2011

How long does it take to decorate a venue?

lovelygirl, 8 November, 2010 at 16:28 Posted on Planning 0 20

Ok do i am having my reception in a village hall and can go set it up on the friday evening, what i am wondering is how many hours should i set aside and what would be the ideal number of people to help me? essentially it will be an empty hall and we will have to set up the tables and chair move the surplus chairs and that is before we start decorating......

20 replies

Latest activity by hannahd78, 17 July, 2011 at 20:47
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

The obvious question is "how complicated do you want it to be" Smiley smile

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

We did a party in a Village hall and to move chairs and then put up a few banner etc we took about an hour with 6 of us doing it.

How much decoration are you having? It's is very detailed then it going to need a good few hours on top i'd imagine.

In terms of number of people, as many as you can, but who you trust and who know EXACTLY what you want so you don't then have to spend hours correcting it!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

*Paging Sherrie, Paging Sherrie!*

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

It will completely depend on what decorations you are having e.g. chair covers, centre pieces, fabric on the walls/curtains, balloons, table decorations etc etc.

The more people you have the better and if you have a lot to do i.e. the above I would say a good few hours.

I'm getting Sherrie to do mine as I cant get in the night before and wouldnt be able to physically fit it in on the day!

xxx

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

We are having lots of bunting - hopefully this will be done by two people, was going to get two people to do the patio area which is organza swagging and cream lanterns on crooks with some patio tubs of flowers and one string of bunting.

table setting should not be too difficult as we have to as a family sit at the table every day and it is always set!

changing curtains for net curtains with blue organza ties

hmm this is going to require lots of planning

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

Yes it sounds as if it could take a while!

It sounds as if it'll look fab though! xxx

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

It totally depends on how much decor you are having. Many people think it is easy to just go in and set up it isn't believe me. You have to be really organised, we spend the week before the wedding getting each tables decorations into platic crates with everything from favours, place cards, table decs, menus, cameras, tealights & table number for each table so each crate is et on the table to do one at a time ensuring everything is in the right place. Table decs are usually already made & ready to set in the centre.

Chair Covers are the worst as they can take anything up to 3hrs depending on how many. If you are having balloons they will need to blown up on the day as the helium will only last for 8-10 hours unless they have been treated.

If you can afford for someone to do it all then I would, you will be aching like mad after!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

No chair covers thank goodness - i have already heard the horrors of doing them!!! had planned on putting everything for each table into boxes so they were ready to go. not having ballons either as that no matter how nice they are they always make me think of childrens parties.... Unfotunately the budget is very tight no no extra money to pay people, but i do have 3 sisters my mum, dad, uncle and one sisters boyfriend and offers of help from two friends

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for asking this, I need to know the answer too! We're also having a village hall although luckily we have it all day on the Friday so can take as long as we need setting up. Hopefully it shouldn't take ages, but my mental 'to do' list just keeps getting longer -argh!!

My real concern is that we are also having an outdoor area with gazebo & small marquee, seating, lighting, garden games etc and I don't know how to go about getting this bit set up, bit wary of doing it the day before cos the hall is 20 mins from where we live, plus what if the weather is rubbish overnight? I suppose we could delegate the job to somebody to do in the morning but I can't think of anyone I'd trust to do it at the moment!

It's times like these I think I've taken too much on!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

It shouldn't take too long as long as you are organised & delegate jobs. Make a list & put the jobs you want them to do ny each persons name. When the job is done they can then refer back to the list to see what is left to do. There is nothing worse than having an army of volunteers & none of them know what they are doing.

• U
    Beginner August 2011
    universa_2k ·
    • Hide content

This is the part I am dreading! I am having a village hall too, but don't get the keys til the Saturday morning! What am I going to do!! [:'(]

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Delegate! What time is the wedding?

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Can you really not have the keys the night before even if it was 10pm at night for an hour and a half just to get you kick started??? I made it part of our contract with the village hall that we can have it from 7pm friday till 12pm sunday

do you have the sunday morning to tidy up???

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the reply claire.... If only we could have a practise run it might not be so unnerving but i am sure we will all muddle through....

• U
    Beginner August 2011
    universa_2k ·
    • Hide content

Hi, the wedding is at 2:30, can't get the hall the night before as its being used but we have the Sunday morning to tidy up. Guess i'll just have to be super organised, know exactly what I want where and get lots of help! Argh!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I think i am going with the keep it simple stupid with regard to the decorations i hope in the hope it will be a quick "build" I may have practise run on my mum and dads table so that i can mini practise and then i can visulise what it will look like

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Trying to write me to do list....... it is not as easy as i was hoping it would be! Luckily i have a on the day coordinator who can sort out any little bits that are not finished!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Many thanks for the reponse Smiley_Bride! I am sure it will be fine as long as i am prepared and have lists of everything......

It the silly things like having to remember tea, coffee, sugar and milk as we are not having caterers oh an washing up liquid and tea towels.....

I am sure there are much easier ways to have a reception but not sure it would have been as much about us as a couple!

• H
    Beginner July 2012
    hannahd78 ·
    • Hide content

Hello everyone,

We are looking at village halls at the moment so this thread is really interesting. Can I be cheeky and ask where your village halls are? We are based in Hampshire but have family in Merseyside and Yorkshire so if the hall was beautiful we could justify it being anywhere Smiley winking

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics