Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner

How long for a cheque to clear?

Leanne (MsA), 22 of April of 2008 at 22:00 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

I paid a cheque into my account last Thursday morning (bank with Barclays). It has been showing on my balance since last Friday but not my cleared balance.

Any idea as I am getting impatient!

TIA

6 replies

Latest activity by Kihec24, 29 of April of 2024 at 11:50
  • A
    Beginner November 2008
    Ashke ·
    • Hide content

Depends on what bank the cheque came from.

Scottish bank to Scottish Bank or English to English usually 3 days. Scottish to English or other way 5 days...

HTH

J

• Maxi
    Beginner February 2008
    Maxi ·
    • Hide content

It's been 12 years since I worked in a bank, so this may now be outdated but when I did it was;

English cheque being paid into English bank account, 3 working days.

English cheque being paid into a Scottish bank account, 7 working days.

If the cheque was deposited after 3pm, the clearing system wouldn't start until the following day.

So the funds should either be clear by midnight tonight otherwise would be next Tuesday.

• Unique at last
    Dedicated January 2012
    Unique at last ·
    • Hide content

God, the banks seem to vary so much on this. I'm thoroughly fucked off as I paid a plumber by cheque on the 11th (from my Nationwide acc). As soon as he left the house, I set up a bank transfer to cover it (I only ever use Nationwide for cheques so I can supposedly keep track of what's due in and out of accounts easier). Of course bank transfer didn't leave my Lloyds account 'til Monday. Thought, well that's ok, it'll hit Nationwide on Wed. Cheques take 5 working days to clear on my Mationwide account.

Bloody plumber banked cheque straight away (as is his right, I know). It was bounced by my bank on the Tuesday (15th) and as I'd predicted, the funds went in on the Wed (16th). The plumber received the cheque back on the Thursday and came round to visit me to tell me on the Friday!

So there you go. Fucking quick turnaround that's cost me £30. ☹️!]

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

In my experience it varies according to the bank and to the amount. It's between 3 and 5 days with RBS - the bigger the cheque, the longer it takes in my experience (cheques for over 2000GBP take 5 days). RBS also show it as in your account but not cleared.

I didn't realise it made any difference whether the bank is Scottish or English.

• Bohemian Raspberry
    Beginner July 2009
    Bohemian Raspberry ·
    • Hide content

It varies from bank to bank. I had a cheque put in on Monday and I'll be able to withdraw on it after 9am tomorrow morning, so that's 3 working days but on another account we've got it took a week to clear the last time we put a cheque in.

• DebbieD
    DebbieD ·
    • Hide content

I had the same problem with a large cheque last week. It was paid in on Tuesday and then didn't show as cleared until yesterday which was much longer than usual - this was Barclays too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics