Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2014

How long for meal and speeches?

CristaMB, 23 of July of 2014 at 19:09 Posted on Planning 0 6

I've told my venue that the meal and speeches won't take longer than 2 hours (3 speeches of less than 30 minutes & meal is just 3 courses)

but they insist it will take at least 2.5 hours

I really don't want my evening scheduling to go out of wack! (They need to clear the room afterwards & the DJ needs over an hour to set up in same room)

So I'm just wondering how long you guys have allocated to get through the meal and speeches?

x

6 replies

Latest activity by CristaMB, 24 of July of 2014 at 10:18
  • H
    Beginner October 2015
    hallowedding ·
    • Hide content

As my venue do weddings all the time I went with what they advised because I figured they would be the best judge of how long their staff will take to serve everyone etc so I've been told it'll be three and a half hours for the meal and speeches.

• BAMS
    Beginner November 2014
    BAMS ·
    • Hide content

I suppose part of it depends on how many guests you have, we've got 60 and have allocated 2.5 hours.

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content

We had 90 guests, 3 course meal and speeches and it was 2.5 hours. That is what the venue advised us it would take and they were right.

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    CristaMB ·
    • Hide content

That's a point.

We're having between 40 and 50 guests

I wasn't thinking about how much time to allocate for serving food/taking plates away either...Hmmmm.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Its never as quick as you think.....I would err on the hotels suggestion....then add 30 minutes......

Peter

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

If its an established wedding venue then they will know best and it should run like clockwork as they say??

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    CristaMB ·
    • Hide content

Okay..

So I've tried adding an extra half an hour - and our evening now looks like this: Would you mind giving me your advice - on whether you think it's workable or not!?

4:30pm - Wedding Breakfast commences

7pm - Meal, speeches, cake cutting draw to an end

7pm - dining things cleared up & entertainment to set up (disco in same room as the Wedding Breakfast)

7pm - Receiving Line/saying hello to guests in another room whilst entertainment is being set up.

7:30pm - Evening guests to arrive & cake distributed

8pm – Entertainment warm up

8:30pm - Bride & Groom need to ensure they have exited the room

8:45pm – Announcement by DJ to welcome the New Mr & Mrs B, chosen music intro ->First Dance

9:30pm - Buffet

12:00 - End of evening

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics