Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

How long in between engagement and wedding for you?

29 January, 2013 at 12:30 Posted on Planning 0 68

We booked our wedding 19 months in advance. I now have less than 8 months to go and I am a starting to wish it was just here! I have thought about it so much now I just want something to happen.

We decided to leave so long in between getting engaged and getting married so we could save up enough money to pay for want we wanted. I don't deny practically that this was a sensible idea, but I still wish the wedding was a little sooner.

I know my wedding enthusiasm tends to come in peaks and troughs, but I am definitely in a trough at the moment.

So what do you think is the ideal engagement length for maximum enthusiasm but minimum debt?

68 replies

Latest activity by SM2014, 3 February, 2013 at 19:06
  • mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Hi :0) I know we are very lucky, but my generous mum is giving us 5k towards the wedding, which we are doing in all for around 6k. There's no way we could ever save enough to do it all ourselves so we are extremely appreciative that my mum is in a position to do this for us, but also she is sooooo desperate to see one of us married (I'm 38 sis is 40 lol) that I think she would have done anything to raise the money. We have never actually been engaged either, but have 5 kids between us from 19 to 4 yrs. After 7 years together, oh just said one day 'i think we should get married, and that was that.... Ball in motion etc.He did say that he still wanted to propose properly but I really didn't see the point. So, decision taken end september 2012, marrying June 22nd 2013...... It's getting terribly close and the big things have been booked but even my suppliers are laid back about deposits etc so I really amstarting to feel a little pressed for time now. Having said that, I wouldn't want to book a long way in advance cos I'd either rest on my laurels too long thinking I have all the time in the world or -more likely- would have organised things in advance then either got impatient, bored, or changed my mind about elements of it. So I'm glad we only had 9 months really xx

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

We have 1 year and 1 week from when we got engaged.

I'm ready for it NOW (minus the fact I want to lose 16lb, so only now if that can fall off too).

I think everyone must be impatient no matter how long they have.

1 year didn't seem like long but it still feels like ages away (6 months away now).

• C
    Beginner June 2015
    Confused bride.... ·
    • Hide content

I think were exception to the rule but, we got engaged christmas 2007 and have just started plannig our wedding for june 2015!

We will have been engaged 7 and a half years when we marry :-)

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Too bloomin' long.

OH proposed in May 2012 and we'll be marrying 17 months later. I wanted to marry sooner - we had a very generous contribution for both parents, so we could have done it, but there are some things we would had to have gone without. But OH was adamant we needed to save more, and he also didn't want to get married before his two best friends, as they had already got engaged. The irony of that is one of those weddings has now been cancelled, and the girl from the other couple said to me she thought we'd get married quicker than we have.

There are benefits to waiting longer....we're marrying in the (my biased opinion) one of the most amazing venues and we're having things that we wouldn't have had, like a Vog or photobooth.

I still wish we were marrying sooner, but I just have to remember that the months will fly by and we'll be married before we know it,

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

First time - met him in October, engaged 6 weeks later, married the following July. On the cheap with a lot of help from both famillies.

This time - Met online May 2010 and I think we both knew this was it from the moment we met in person a few weeks later. We agreed last summer that it was ineveitable that yes, one day we would get married, and due to the venue being fully booked until 2016 we're going to see it on Sunday, and will hopefully secure a slot for that year (they only hold 12 weddings per year there), even though the OH hasn't proposed yet.

I wish it was a lot sooner, but the venue is fab and it will give us enough time to stick to a realistic savings budget as neither of us have any money and I don't want to have to ask family to help. If they offer, that's different. I do keep trying to kid myself that it's marrying him that's important, and where etc doesn't matter, but it's not working, cos of course it matters lol

On one hand, extra time means lots of time to make everything and plan all the minute details, but it also means lots of time to change my mind several times. I will either want it all planned NOW, or get bored and end up panicking at the last minute. It feels odd though, as I could see my whole future mapped out from the moment he first kissed me ❤️, so the planning feels just a formality ?. I think the real excitement will kick in when he feels ready to pop the question and make it official - only you lot on here know, oh, and his best buddy he told the other day

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

1 year 6 weeks for us. Just right financially, but i'm still impatient!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

It'll be 3.5 years for us.

Combination of job and necessity.

We couldn't really have got married any sooner than that because of work commitments. We couldn't (and didn't want to) fit in our own wedding around bookings we already had- which only left 2015.

Also, realistically, we've not got the cheapest tastes in the world, so to be able to afford everything we want, we have to do some serious saving.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

It'll be 18 months, originally would have been longer but realised the more we saved the more we I would spend!

• C
    Beginner April 2013
    clairerouth ·
    • Hide content

It will be 7 months from proposal to wedding day for us

• S
    Beginner September 2013
    Snc12 ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged 14th Feb 2012 and get married 7th Sept 2013. However, we didn't even think about the wedding or setting a date until October 2012 due to losing his mum and having our first baby. So, planning (and saving) to wedding day will be 11 months

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Deffo need that glass of wine soon, we can whinge together.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

It will be 20 months ans 1 day for us! We wanted it to be sooner, but OH works for the police and couldnt have any time off between March and Sept (any length of time), and I'm tied to school holidays so Easter this year was the next sensible date,

Debt-wise it depends on who is contributing as to how long you need to save. I think 20 months has been a little too long for us as I've had TOO long to make decisions, get things done etc.

• A
    Beginner April 2013
    aimzxx ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged in May 2011 and booked it for Sept 2013...I then planned everything, got impatient and changed it to April 2013!!!

x

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

About one year and one day.

• Indiefluff
    Beginner August 2013
    Indiefluff ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged October 2011 and are getting married August 2013. We've waited this long so that we could save up and have the wedding that we really want. But trust me, as soon as you get to the one year left mark, it'll fly by! I cannot believe that its only six months left for me!

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

Seventeen years. We had to be sure. ?

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Would have been 14 months (Jan 2011 to Mar 2012) but work then sent me on a course and we had to change it to Aug, so 19 months. Too long really I suppose. As to what is ideal regarding finances, I suppose it depends on how healthy your salaries and savings are. We didn't get into debt, and from what I can tell, most couples these days try to avoid debt and go for budget weddings with fewer guests and less formal meals, if that's what it takes.

• ImagineIt
    Beginner December 2012
    ImagineIt ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged 1st Sept 2012 & got married 23rd Dec 2012

I had some savings and my dad gave us a little too, so we thought we'd do it asap so we could focus this year on getting a house and trying for a family. (Although I'm abit skint now, but it was worth it!!)xx

• Maldives2013
    Beginner December 2013
    Maldives2013 ·
    • Hide content

It will have been around 17 months between us getting engaged and our wedding day. My other half wanted us to get married in the December just gone so it would have been 5 months but we already had that much going on and I wanted to enjoy the planning and actually being engaged - however now having to wait until this December seems like an age away!

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged February 2011 and getting married July 2014 so it'll be nearly 3.5 years! I am currently in the last year of my degree so any sooner just wouldn't have been possible financially and I wanted this year to be the year I graduated, not the year I got married ? I am already getting impatient though!!!

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

We had just under 20 months....it did feel a little too long for us. We wanted a December xmassy wedding and thought the first xmas after our engagement was a little too soon so waited until the following year! I think just over a year would have been good but everyone's different. :-)

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

One year :o)

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

21 months.

Got engaged in June last year, getting married in March next year. Wish it was sooner but it's a case if having to save money.

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content

Got engaged last May, get married this October so 17 months. We are very fortunate that mine/ his parents are paying for much of it. I think I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing and wish it would come along sooner!

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

It's going to be just over 14 months for us - engaged Jun 12, wedding Aug 13.

Its been just about right in the length of time so that we can save up all the money needed, however there are some things we're going without. I would have preferred for it to be earlier but this timescale is perfect costs wise.

• minimorecambe
    Beginner August 2013
    minimorecambe ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged on 4th January 2013 and we are getting married on 16th August 2013.

It was initially going to be 2014 but the price was double for less people.

We were lucky that my parents gave us £5000 which has paid for nearly everything to get married this year.

I have never wanted a long engagement as I like to plan and do things

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Engaged Christmas Day 2012, to marry September 2015. So almost 3 years, but that's only because of finances.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Just over 10 months. We were fortunate with our finances so didn't need to do much saving, and that was the first autumn date our preferred venue had available.

• A
    Beginner February 2013
    alicecone ·
    • Hide content

11 weeks!! We went for a low budget wedding, lots of handmade things and help from friends!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hehe. Love this! ?

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

We will have been together 11 years on the day we get married but weve been engaged for 9 years approx!

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

2 years, 8 months by the time we finally tie the knot.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics